Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Slimbook V Announced: The First KDE Plasma 6 Laptop With AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Slimbook V Announced: The First KDE Plasma 6 Laptop With AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS CPU

Phoronix: KDE Slimbook V Announced: The First KDE Plasma 6 Laptop With AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS CPU

The KDE Plasma 6 open-source desktop environment is launching next week and ahead of that the Slimbook V has been announced, the latest laptop crafted in partnership between the KDE project and Slimbook. This KDE-catered Linux laptop will feature the Plasma 6.0 desktop experience out-of-the-box and is powered by an AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS Zen 4 processor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not that poorly priced against the big oem's, but I wonder how good the support is. Not sure many big companies - where they real money is - want to gamble on buying these.
    ​​​​

Comment

720p on a €1,000 laptop.

Comment

That one does look tasty. 100% sRGB anti-glare IPS, strong CPU, could have lived with APU-only but if the dGPU has low idle consumption this would even offer an occasional gaming session (though I prefer notebooks for mobile work, for gaming stationary computers). Well, the webcam... but 720 is okay and it has a shutter. It's for videoconferencing not recording high quality photos or videos, there are real cameras for that.
        Batter runtime(s) would be interesting and keyboard layouts (have yet to find a good image of the keyboard) and feeling of typing.
        And what firmware is there? UEFI? Coreboot?
        And I do not need "slim". I want things to be sturdy, without heat issues and esp. with all sorts of interfaces. Some are so slim, they can't even fit a network port...

edit: specs page says "up to 11 h runtime" (conditions not mentioned, if that is lowest idle with screen off or idle with slightly dimmed screen or ...)
        the benchmarks page has some more info, so it is for idle, compiling still gives roughly 3 h, whis sounds fair, considering that this is 8C / 16T compiling at full force. The previous one had somewhat better battery lifetime, though (did that rev. IV have a dGPU? maybe not).
        Last edited by Adarion; 22 February 2024, 07:26 AM.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by and.elf View Post
          Not that poorly priced against the big oem's, but I wonder how good the support is. Not sure many big companies - where they real money is - want to gamble on buying these.
          ​​​​
          Had bought one laptop for my daughter Slimbook KDE. And even though she spilled a full glass sugar wine on the keyboard, they worked their asses off to try to save it.
          Worked for around 2 more years until the corrosion broke too much for it to run correctly.
          So - small company, but they really are good and provide way better support than any large company - by experience.​
          Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

€1000 will get you just 16GB of RAM (which is IMO too little in 2024, I'd go for at least 32 because you don't want to allocate less than 4GB to your iGPU) and just a 250GB NVMe drive.

Other than that and its horrible webcam it's totally fine. I've not found any downloads or BIOS updates for it. Maybe I've not been searching properly.
            Last edited by avis; 23 February 2024, 07:31 AM. Reason: it's -> its

Comment

I don't think us linux users really appreciate how far we've come in just ~15 years. It used to be that you had to find a big brand laptop and triple check all the specs and hardware to make sure it will work with linux and even then it was hit and miss. Today we have at least 5 companies which sell linux preinstalled out of the box with decent specs.

I tried to spec this to 64GB ram, 500GB nvme+2TB storage nvme which is about what I have in my current workstation and it comes to just 1,424.00​EUR. This is quite a decent price if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
                I don't think us linux users really appreciate how far we've come in just ~15 years. It used to be that you had to find a big brand laptop and triple check all the specs and hardware to make sure it will work with linux and even then it was hit and miss. Today we have at least 5 companies which sell linux preinstalled out of the box with decent specs.

I tried to spec this to 64GB ram, 500GB nvme+2TB storage nvme which is about what I have in my current workstation and it comes to just 1,424.00​EUR. This is quite a decent price if you ask me.
                Or you buy a base model and then upgrade it yourself which will come off a lot cheaper.

Too bad I did so myself and now I've no idea what to do with two 8GB DDR5 sticks as apparently no one needs them.

Comment

ODM ODM ODM

Build something on your own instead

Comment

They built such a nice laptop, and they went for a Wifi 6 RTL8852BE module?

This is perhaps the worst wifi6/bt module, selling at 6euros on aliexpress currently.
                    It does not even support Bluetooth LE in Linux.

There is a plethora of wifi6/7 options for a fraction of euros more , and working on Linux as they should.

- ax200
                    - ax210
                    - mt7921 / mt7921k / mt7922
                    - qcnfa765
                    - be200 (wifi7)
                    - qcncm865 (wifi7)
                    Last edited by bezirg; 22 February 2024, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X