Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Framework Laptop 16 Delivers Great Linux Support & Performance, Excellent Customizability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artim View Post

Still a very unnecessary point of failure.
    Very necessary. I can tell you in advance if I ever own one of this, I will not bother plugging/unplugging that module like a damn dongle every time I put the PC in my backpack. I'll give it one week before the plastic starts to fall apart.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      Well now you have another data point, because I've been using one without breakage or any issues at all. So everyone [except one person] has broken them.
      And? What does this prove?

You're point was that it is unlikely to break those ports and a MB is broken much easier which of course is absolute bullshit and just because you managed not to break them doesn't really help your argument because I guess your mother board is still working?

I had many of them in my hands and connected them to the network for installation of W10 and didn't break them, but I also didn't really use them in the field and was careful while un/plugging. Just having a cable plugged in and then moving the laptop is enough to break those ports.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
        And? What does this prove?

You're point was that it is unlikely to break those ports and a MB is broken much easier which of course is absolute bullshit and just because you managed not to break them doesn't really help your argument because I guess your mother board is still working?

I had many of them in my hands and connected them to the network for installation of W10 and didn't break them, but I also didn't really use them in the field and was careful while un/plugging. Just having a cable plugged in and then moving the laptop is enough to break those ports.
        I did not claim that motherboards would break. That was someone else. I like this one I'm using with the slimline collapsible ethernet port, hope it keeps working for a long time. Maybe Lenovo just made a particularly breakable model that you had so much trouble with? Anyway, even if it were to eventually break, I'd replace it with a cheap disposable rat-tail dongle, not one like this Framework is using. We had big expansion card ethernet ports like this on laptops in the early 00's, they were also always breaking.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          I did not claim that motherboards would break. That was someone else.
          ​Oh, sorry.

Maybe Lenovo just made a particularly breakable model that you had so much trouble with?
          Thinkpads definitely have become worse over time but unless someone builds those ports out of steel I don't see how they could ever handle mechanical stress.

Dell has/had a good solution to keep those ports strong while still having a thin laptop: P1038392.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post

Very necessary. I can tell you in advance if I ever own one of this, I will not bother plugging/unplugging that module like a damn dongle every time I put the PC in my backpack. I'll give it one week before the plastic starts to fall apart.
            Wow, necessary for a single person. Spoiler alert: nobody forces you to buy a Framework. Also, there's no reason to unplug it when you put it into your backpack. If you don't act like a moron and try to damage it, you won't.

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post

Wow, necessary for a single person. Spoiler alert: nobody forces you to buy a Framework. Also, there's no reason to unplug it when you put it into your backpack. If you don't act like a moron and try to damage it, you won't.
              Every user. And it will break, I've already experienced this with a protruding USB express card I was too lazy to remove.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post

Every user. And it will break, I've already experienced this with a protruding USB express card I was too lazy to remove.
                Sure, every user. That's why ethernet connectors have become quite the rarity in laptops🤡

Comment

Working...
                X