Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Framework Laptop 16 Delivers Great Linux Support & Performance, Excellent Customizability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framework Laptop 16 Delivers Great Linux Support & Performance, Excellent Customizability

Phoronix: Framework Laptop 16 Delivers Great Linux Support & Performance, Excellent Customizability

The review embargo has now expired on the Framework Laptop 16, the latest innovative and upgradeable laptop from this company that has made quite a name for itself with modular and user-upgradeable laptop designs for both AMD and Intel. The new Framework Laptop 16 offers even more customizability around the keyboard/touchpad and other options including over using a Radeon RX 7700S graphics module and more. Besides the immense customizability options and upgrades available with the Framework Laptop 16, the new model employs the AMD Ryzen 7040HS processor for even greater performance over the AMD Ryzen 7040U found with the latest Framework 13 model.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

WOW, sounds like a great laptop then. Only wish they offered a keyboard option with a tracpoint and physical mouse buttons like on a ThinkPad.

Comment

That seems extremely weird results. Because same chip in 2 different products produce so wildly different results, and the difference is not just in one direction (what higher clock, better cooling could explain) but instead are opposite in many tests. How is this possible?

Comment

That ethernet port is a big problem. Should have gone with a collapsable ehternet port like Clevo did, then you can fit it into a slimline case.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
          That seems extremely weird results. Because same chip in 2 different products produce so wildly different results, and the difference is not just in one direction (what higher clock, better cooling could explain) but instead are opposite in many tests. How is this possible?
          As mentioned there is the configurable TDP with the 7840HS and as shown by the data can go much higher on the Framework.

Some of the GPU results were a bit weird to which Framework told me just a few minutes after launch a new system BIOS is available that likely takes care of the GPU performance.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

How many hours on battery?

Comment

If you buy a variant with an RDNA3 IGP without graphics card, you will be badly surprised how terribly the AMD RDNA3 IGP Vulkan (and VAAPI...) drivers work on Linux:
              Description The game shows heavy visual corruption: Lots of flashing, missing textures etc. Game is basically unplayable. This title is exemplary,...

Wouldn't recommend buying at this point (not Framework's fault though).

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                If you buy a variant with an RDNA3 IGP without graphics card, you will be badly surprised how terribly the AMD RDNA3 IGP Vulkan (and VAAPI...) drivers work on Linux:
                Description The game shows heavy visual corruption: Lots of flashing, missing textures etc. Game is basically unplayable. This title is exemplary,...

Wouldn't recommend buying at this point (not Framework's fault though).
                I haven't thoroughly rested all the same games on my FW13 but the rdna3 on it is a champ. So far there is nothing I can't play.

Video acceleration is a dud right now, but I think that's it. I just leave that off till they fix it
                Last edited by Mitch; 23 January 2024, 02:48 PM.

Comment

And it seems they are part of LVFS.
                  So, they are on the ok list.

Comment

heh. waiting for my mail from Framework... As I'm batch 1
                    Will let ya guys know it it is when it arrives!

Oh, and yeah, I took the GPU board too, just because I wanted it
                    Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

Working...
                    X