Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Teases Their "Virgo" In-House Manufactured Laptop

Phoronix: System76 Teases Their "Virgo" In-House Manufactured Laptop

While for a number of years now System76 has manufactured their own Thelio desktop line of Linux PCs from their facility in Denver, Colorado (and their Launch Keyboard), they have long talked up ambitions for eventually manufacturing their own Linux laptops rather relying on other white-label manufacturers as they currently do. Today a first glimpse of their in-house laptop prototyping was shared,..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really would have preferred that they would partner with framework. they seem to be a good fit

Comment

If pursued... I could see this effectively being their death (?) I'd only do this if you have money to throw away and just want it as a marketing piece. So far, looks bad in so so so many ways. I'd keep with the partnerships and as someone else mentioned, frame.work might be an excellent choice (?)

With that said, System76, feel free to prove me wrong (I'm pretty confident in my assessment of this though).

Edit: Maybe this was an April Fools day joke??

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
        If pursued... I could see this effectively being their death (?) I'd only do this if you have money to throw away and just want it as a marketing piece. So far, looks bad in so so so many ways. I'd keep with the partnerships and as someone else mentioned, frame.work might be an excellent choice (?)

With that said, System76, feel free to prove me wrong (I'm pretty confident in my assessment of this though).

What you're looking at here is a raw, unfinished prototype, which hasn't been painted or coated in any way. Of course it doesn't look like a finished product right now (FWIW, I actually really like the machining marks, but they will be finished with a coating before they are sold).

Full disclosure: I work for System76.

Comment

Originally posted by isantop View Post

What you're looking at here is a raw, unfinished prototype, which hasn't been painted or coated in any way. Of course it doesn't look like a finished product right now (FWIW, I actually really like the machining marks, but they will be finished with a coating before they are sold).

It's expensive, inefficient to manufacture, or rather naive, heavy, a small scratch could fry the board. Not gonna hold my breath for it.

Comment

I waited for so long for this and recently decided that the best choice for me was a Framework laptop. I wish them great success and hope I get to see some in the wild!

Comment

Originally posted by isantop View Post

I hope this works out, looking forward to see the end result, (we're not all ultra pessimists here)

Any thoughts on supporting modules like the ones from framework? Are you doing main board yourself too?
              Last edited by dlq84; 04 April 2023, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
                Yeah, right. They have been talking about manufacturing in-house products, including laptops, a couple of times before and all of a sudden it would be a joke???

Comment

Typical Linux community responses.

People: “System76 should stop using (cheap) Clevo off-the-shelf stuff and make their own hardware!!!”
                  System76: *starts to make their own laptop*
                  People: “System76 should not make their own hardware for reasons x, y and/or z!!!”

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                    Typical Linux community responses.

People: “System76 should stop using (cheap) Clevo off-the-shelf stuff and make their own hardware!!!”
                    System76: *starts to make their own laptop*
                    People: “System76 should not make their own hardware for reasons x, y and/or z!!!”
                    It's because they are unprofessional, they always make their unfinished project a clout. Don't make announcement if you don't even have a product

Comment

Working...
                    X