No announcement yet.

System76 Teases Their "Virgo" In-House Manufactured Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doomsayers should read between the lines of the geopolitical landscape. There's a lot more 'tightening up' to domestic companies going on than I think most people realize. The supply chain woes of the pandemic, souring political views on globalization, and increased tensions between superpowers could make this a very, very smart move for System76.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

Can you elaborate on what you meant by this? Aluminum is one of the best materials to make a laptop with. It's lightweight, durable, and absorbs/conducts heat. A scratch isn't going to fry a board.
      I don't know, As everyone had already pointed that out, it's milled, like you really don't mass produce a big chunk of a product that way.

Comment

Originally posted by hojjat View Post

You should just ignore mirmirmir, he is the troll that lives in Phoronix's comment section. (I'm assuming he is a troll and not dumb enough to not know about all the other phones and laptops that use CNCed aluminum without "frying" their boards).

Here is his previous take on System76 hardware! He is unhappy if you don't make your own hardware, he is unhappy if you do!
        Ok you ticked me off, You know why I despise the company? Wanted to support Linux laptop, I really did, but last time I bought one, the screen went blank, like seriously it was about 2 months since I'd bought it, I really didn't want to deal with that at that time, so I just bought a new one from a well known company, like I didn't even want to try their service because their product wasn't even convincing, among other things like their service availability.

I really don't want to point this out, but here we go. So fellow Linux users, use your hard earned money wisely. Don't make mistake like I did.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

I don't know, As everyone had already pointed that out, it's milled, like you really don't mass produce a big chunk of a product that way.
          I'm not sure how this relates to it being naive, heavy, or somehow a scratch on the exterior frying the board encased inside of it. Launch keyboards are produced via milling, so it's not like the mechanical engineers have no experience with milling or other alternative methods.

Comment

Uhh, Apple is a highly-profitable mainstream laptop brand, and they've use milled aluminum for over a decade. It's hard to pull off, but if you can, you can make a premium product at a reasonable cost.

​​​​​​
            Last edited by mangeek; 05 April 2023, 04:44 PM. Reason: Edited to be more truthy.

Comment

Apple isn't even close to being the best selling laptop brand. Lenovo, Dell and HP each sell many more laptops than Apple.

Milling components is an extremely expensive process from a mass-production point of view. The simple screen lid/holder as shown by System76 would probably cost to $250-300/unit, just based on how they appear to be machining it. That's not even counting initial setup, tooling and engineering costs. Don't get me wrong - there's a lot of optimization to be had there in terms of cutter size, tool paths, etc...

Apple can do CNC because they've invested a ton of money in very fast milling machines that are rigid. The have fast spindles, fast tool changes and fast axes movement.

Comment

I think this is pretty cool. Look forward to seeing more details as it develops.

Comment

I'm pretty pessimistic generally, but the negativity I'm seeing here is kind of shocking. System76 don't sell where I live, so it means little to nothing to me because even if I wanted one I couldn't buy one (at least and have any sort of support at all) but they already have a functional business and appear to be expanding to increase self-sufficiency. Since when is that a bad thing? It looks like a "first successful run" type thing that they've shown off as a bit of marketing. If they can wrap the whole package together the way Apple do so that it's a bit more of a boutique affair than simply installing Linux on the same hardware as every other custom laptop maker, I wish them success.

Although Louis Rossmann had a video today talking about how people lie. And it's true - you ask someone how much they're willing to pay, or whether they would pay more for better quality or better support or whatever... but when it comes right down to it, they vote with their wallet and go with the cheaper option, even if it costs them more long term. I am (sometimes) guilty of this, but not to the level that LR discusses (wanting to save $4 on a $160 item) and when I do, I usually end up regretting it.

Comment

Ok you ticked me off, You know why I despise the company? Wanted to support Linux laptop, I really did, but last time I bought one, the screen went blank, like seriously it was about 2 months since I'd bought it, I really didn't want to deal with that at that time, so I just bought a new one from a well known company, like I didn't even want to try their service because their product wasn't even convincing, among other things like their service availability.

I really don't want to point this out, but here we go. So fellow Linux users, use your hard earned money wisely. Don't make mistake like I did.
                    Was this a new system you bought from System76 or a used one you bought elsewhere? It would be bizarre to me if it was new and under warranty and you didn't even try to contact support. Worst case they'd pay shipping both ways (at least for US addresses) to fix or replace it. Maybe they'd send a replacement in advance of you returning the defective one. Maybe they'd just ship you a replacement and not make you return the other one at all. We'll never know how they would have handled it.

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanLocomotive View Post
                      Apple isn't even close to being the best selling laptop brand. Lenovo, Dell and HP each sell many more laptops than Apple.

Milling components is an extremely expensive process from a mass-production point of view. The simple screen lid/holder as shown by System76 would probably cost to $250-300/unit, just based on how they appear to be machining it. That's not even counting initial setup, tooling and engineering costs. Don't get me wrong - there's a lot of optimization to be had there in terms of cutter size, tool paths, etc...

Apple can do CNC because they've invested a ton of money in very fast milling machines that are rigid. The have fast spindles, fast tool changes and fast axes movement.
                      What are you talking about? That lid doesn't cost $300! I bought a CNCed lid for my framework for $90! And it came with extra bits and pieces. And framework isn't a huge company either.
                      We know consumer electronics can be better for you and for the environment. Unlike most products, ours are open for you to repair and upgrade

With your logic the launch keyboard should cost twice as much, since it needs a much larger block of aluminum! Plus the switches, the pcb, the design, the programming, the software tool, the usb hub, the key caps, the initial setup and tooling...

Comment

Working...
                      X