System76 Teases Their "Virgo" In-House Manufactured Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

It's expensive, inefficient to manufacture, or rather naive, heavy, a small scratch could fry the board. Not gonna hold my breath for it.
    Can you elaborate on what you meant by this? Aluminum is one of the best materials to make a laptop with. It's lightweight, durable, and absorbs/conducts heat. A scratch isn't going to fry a board.

Comment

would have preferred them working with tongfang odm. to promote a bit more open hardware / firmwares with support on linux platform. however as some low volume machine i wish them success with this device, and see no point casting any judgements before release time, and then in due course some independant reviews

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

Can you elaborate on what you meant by this? Aluminum is one of the best materials to make a laptop with. It's lightweight, durable, and absorbs/conducts heat. A scratch isn't going to fry a board.
        You should just ignore mirmirmir, he is the troll that lives in Phoronix's comment section. (I'm assuming he is a troll and not dumb enough to not know about all the other phones and laptops that use CNCed aluminum without "frying" their boards).

Here is his previous take on System76 hardware! He is unhappy if you don't make your own hardware, he is unhappy if you do!
        Last edited by hojjat; 04 April 2023, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by isantop View Post

What you're looking at here is a raw, unfinished prototype, which hasn't been painted or coated in any way. Of course it doesn't look like a finished product right now (FWIW, I actually really like the machining marks, but they will be finished with a coating before they are sold).

Full disclosure: I work for System76.
          I look forward to the in-house System76 laptop. Ignore the stupidity of people not welcoming competition with open arms. System76 clearly cares about open source and I personally would be happy to buy your laptop to support them.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
            If pursued... I could see this effectively being their death (?) I'd only do this if you have money to throw away and just want it as a marketing piece. So far, looks bad in so so so many ways. I'd keep with the partnerships and as someone else mentioned, frame.work might be an excellent choice (?)

With that said, System76, feel free to prove me wrong (I'm pretty confident in my assessment of this though).

Edit: Maybe this was an April Fools day joke??
            cjcox

What do you even mean "looks bad in so many ways"? What have you even looked at? A milled aluminum bar? You're seriously judging the entire laptop by literally the most basic part? You have literally not seen any of the important components like mainboard, actual LCD, keyboard, battery life, etc.

Comment

Just ignore the professional moaners.

Buying system76 is also investing in Linux ecosystem.

I agree that going with the framework system would be top, but it's a lot of engineering to create such a versatile platform.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
                Don't make announcement if you don't even have a product
                Eh, most companies do that…

Comment

What you're looking at here is a raw, unfinished prototype, which hasn't been painted or coated in any way. Of course it doesn't look like a finished product right now (FWIW, I actually really like the machining marks, but they will be finished with a coating before they are sold).

So, not a joke. It's a difficult path you're on. Hoping for the best.

Comment

Looks like the one side was milled flat with a shellmill, engraved, then put on a vacuum plate and used a small endmill, maybe 1/4" or 3/8" endmill, to get everything else.
                    Are you guys going to attempt to do plastic injection? Cause plastic injection molding is pretty end-game for production, and quite expensive to set up correctly with few people in the world that know how to design and build such things.
                    Or are you guys going to keep it to lower-volume milled-from-solid aluminum? Planning on doing your own anodizing?
                    Its one thing to make a few to test out, its another to set up for production

I've been in the manufacturing industry for a lot of years now, and currently programming million dollar CNC machines. I always find it fun to see projects like this pop up that looks like there is at least somewhat of a competent approach to how the part is made. A lot of places stop after making some teaser products because of how different and more difficult it is to set up for production.

Comment

Dude, I've been waiting for this announcement for so many years! Epic.

Comment

Working...
                      X