Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell XPS With Intel Tiger Lake + Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Goes On Sale - Benchmarks Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Setif
    I don't Dell XPS is the right laptop for development.
    Dell precision, HP zbook or ThinkPad P are the most suitable workstations for development.
    I don't run VMs nor containers on my laptop so my X1 works very well. If I had to run VMs then I would prefer an X1 Extreme but Lenovo still needs to figure out that 'we' want an X1 Extreme with Ryzen. Until that happens I'll stick with my aging X1.

Comment

$1250 for a quad core machine?

Man, the bastards at AMD had spoiled us...

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
        8GB RAM is plenty for a linux machine
        The OS itself and most programs out there? Sure.

But recent versions of Firefox and Chrome disagree with you...

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
          Am I reading that picture correctly? Is this a discount of 99 cents?
          Yes you are. I even went to their site, played with their config tool, and it shows a discount of 99 cents.

Less than a 1/10 of a percent discount. I'm gonna be Daddy Warbucks with those kinds of savings.

Comment

Non-expandable RAM. Why do we still have this crap? I do understand when Apple does that because they've always loved to fuck their customers over, but other vendors? No idea.

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
            8GB RAM is plenty for a linux machine
            You may want to start to speak for yourself only. For some people 128GB for a desktop PC is not enough.

Comment

Windows, without running anything sits at 3GB RAM + 3GB cached. Anyone want to check their distro for used RAM?

Opening Brave Browser with 10 tabs, all with images and JavaScript, and one YouTube video tab is 800MB RAM on Windows.

Comment

1000+ dollars with that specs ??? you really have to hate your money to buy this

In that price range you can probably get an 4800H with at least a 1650 GPU

Comment

Jesus, in that price you get this monster that is at almost twice as fast, 1TB SSD and 16GB ram

Intel + DELL marketing as it best, whoever priced that laptop should fired ...

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post

The only thing I take from your list is the extra RAM for my containers. Don't need any of the rest. Of course, I wouldn't leave Ubuntu also, I develop on Fedora. But having bought computers with Windows my whole life, I really don't care what comes in it, as long as it's not Windows that should be fine.
                    Plus, let's stop already with trackpoints and physical buttons for clicks. They get in the way and can trigger random and unexpected behaviours when barely grazed over. These days, gestures on touchpads with combination of fingers movements are very efficient and make buttons outdated.

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                    Jesus, in that price you get this monster that is at almost twice as fast, 1TB SSD and 16GB ram

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-7-4800H-...39&sr=8-3&th=1

Intel + DELL marketing as it best, whoever priced that laptop should fired ...
                    Well, writing this from a very well monetized 9 years old Asus machine, the bling-bling monster you're talking about is for Kevins, not for pondered consumers looking for a minimum of class.

Comment

Dell is the only American compay to offer a linux glass/metal body laptop. Linus Torvalds has/had a Dell laptop. But dell offers next to no customization (RAM/OLED/AMD).

I assume 11th gen intel will get hotter and make more fan noise than the 7nm AMD...

Comment

Working...
                      X