Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell XPS With Intel Tiger Lake + Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Goes On Sale - Benchmarks Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kcrudup
    replied
    Originally posted by lucrus View Post
    Developers, I mean, those developers that use Linux, usually want:
    1. Reasonable display size. 1900x1200 on a 13.4" display is just useless to read lines of code.
    I've gotta disagree with this one; I specifically looked for FHD in my XPS 13 2-in-1 and I code on it all the time.

Oh, for those complaining about the price and the RAM- be patient and after a few months of it being out, look on the Dell Outlet- not only did I save several hundred dollars for a machine that's been flawless since I've gotten it, but that was the only way I was able to find the elusive FHD/32GB/1TB buildout; by the time I'd started to look at the XPS line that combo was no longer available for sale on the main site as they didn't make that many of them to begin with so all were left were the returns.

Leave a comment:

• cqcallaw
    replied
    Folks that can't abide 16 GB of memory should probably keep a lookout for DDR4 designs, but should also remember that LPDDR4 is quite speedy. Even without the frequency boost (4267 Mhz vs. 3200 Mhz for DDR4), LPDDR4's real-world data transfer rates should be better; as I understand it, this is due to LPDDR4's bank configuration.

Leave a comment:

• dylanmtaylor
    replied
    Actually, the L14 is going to be an entry-level AMD machine. Maybe it'll be around $700. We'll see when it comes out. https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/coming-.../p/22TPL14L4A1

ThinkPad L14 and ThinkPad L15 will be available in the second quarter of 2020. Both have a starting price of $649. - https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo....454394.0.html
    Last edited by dylanmtaylor; 02 October 2020, 02:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lyamc
    replied
    Dell needed to do an AMD build but apparently there's supply issues with AMD's chips while Intel has lots available

Leave a comment:

• dylanmtaylor
    replied
    Originally posted by Mez' View Post

I don't know of any laptop around 700$ with AMD CPU and pre-loaded with Linux.

There are a few in the $1000-1100 range in the new Lenovo ThinkPads, but you're right, very few budget options.

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

In that price range most laptops are monsters, if you want class go down to 700$ for 4800H without dedicated GPU + 1tb + 16GB and way better screen.

That price tag of 1200$ is idiot gauging, with those specs it should come a disability certificate for the buyer
    You can find sleek and sober quality laptops for 1200$ with a dedicated GPU (or without) and 16GB RAM. It doesn't have to be a machine for gamers.

Plus, I don't know of any laptop around 700$ with AMD CPU and pre-loaded with Linux. The less expansive AMD + Linux laptop I know is the Tuxedo device available from around 900€. If it exists, let my shopping cart know. It would swallow it this instant.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

I would agree with you but this XPS laptop is as average as it gets and i see nothing quality wise that scream 1200$ is even close to fine and honestly DELL isn't exactly top quality anymore to just swallow those prices as brand loyalty like Apple does.

Also i see no feature this system have that is not offered equally or better by literally any other brand at the 700$ range also the performance of the CPU is extremely low for this price tag.
    Yeah, best to wait for some kind of discount/sale. I got my current Thinkpad at a big discount during a Thanksgiving sale. Unfortunately I waited one day extra, and thus the price rose by USD 150
    ​​​​
    If you see a good deal, just go for it.

Leave a comment:

• jrch2k8
    replied
    Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post

It's really not that unreasonable. For very good quality I'd pay twice that. I'm very happy with my Precision 5540, and it's not exactly a cheap system.
    I would agree with you but this XPS laptop is as average as it gets and i see nothing quality wise that scream 1200$ is even close to fine and honestly DELL isn't exactly top quality anymore to just swallow those prices as brand loyalty like Apple does.

Also i see no feature this system have that is not offered equally or better by literally any other brand at the 700$ range also the performance of the CPU is extremely low for this price tag.

Leave a comment:

• Yndoendo
    replied
    This is nice that Linux is supported right away. I had to wait one year before the XPS 13 2015 was properly supported, which then died 2 years ago because of an out-of-warranty bad motherboard that would not charge the battery. Replaced with a HP ENVY 2500U and 16GB RAM, which is still waiting on AMD's Fusion Hub Driver support.

Development is so broad, but I could not consider that machine a development machine. At the moment looking for a high CPU core count and RAM. Need to emulate cloud locally with vast log processing and IoT full stack development with redundancy. I want to work on the solution, not maintain it scaling in real-time, something for IT / DevOps. Waiting for AMD's October statements to either wait or hope it will bring down the price of 16 core + CPUs.

I some times use my backup laptop, a Pinebook Pro with 4GB RAM, and that runs GNOME just fine. Most RAM usage is just caching. But I do use the tab-sleep extension for Firefox.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Non-expandable RAM. Why do we still have this crap? I do understand when Apple does that because they've always loved to fuck their customers over, but other vendors? No idea.
    Ultrabooks and thinner laptops. That's why the soldered RAM. I'm annoyed at it too, but if you have enough, then it's not that big a problem.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X