Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell XPS With Intel Tiger Lake + Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Goes On Sale - Benchmarks Coming

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    Well, writing this from a very well monetized 9 years old Asus machine, the bling-bling monster you're talking about is for Kevins, not for pondered consumers looking for a minimum of class.
    In that price range most laptops are monsters, if you want class go down to 700$ for 4800H without dedicated GPU + 1tb + 16GB and way better screen.

    That price tag of 1200$ is idiot gauging, with those specs it should come a disability certificate for the buyer

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

      In that price range most laptops are monsters, if you want class go down to 700$ for 4800H without dedicated GPU + 1tb + 16GB and way better screen.

      That price tag of 1200$ is idiot gauging, with those specs it should come a disability certificate for the buyer
      It's really not that unreasonable. For very good quality I'd pay twice that. I'm very happy with my Precision 5540, and it's not exactly a cheap system.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by lowlands View Post

        Until you open Slack and your RAM goes p00f and the apps that actually matter come to a stand still
        Or if you're developing using Android Studio - Android GUI IDE + Gradle daemon + emulator + a few browser windows/tabs - all of this definitely exceeds 8 GB of RAM.

        And my laptop RAM is soldered . Now I regret not getting 16 GB in the first place.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          $1250 for a quad core machine?

          Man, the bastards at AMD had spoiled us...
          Well it also contains a very nice GPU that can compete with some other mobile dGPUs.
          dGPUs. I think that adds significantly to the cost (plus ultrabooks being expensive, especially from business laptop makers like Dell and Lenovo).

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by birdie View Post
            Non-expandable RAM. Why do we still have this crap? I do understand when Apple does that because they've always loved to fuck their customers over, but other vendors? No idea.
            Ultrabooks and thinner laptops. That's why the soldered RAM. I'm annoyed at it too, but if you have enough, then it's not that big a problem.

            Comment


            • #26
              This is nice that Linux is supported right away. I had to wait one year before the XPS 13 2015 was properly supported, which then died 2 years ago because of an out-of-warranty bad motherboard that would not charge the battery. Replaced with a HP ENVY 2500U and 16GB RAM, which is still waiting on AMD's Fusion Hub Driver support.

              Development is so broad, but I could not consider that machine a development machine. At the moment looking for a high CPU core count and RAM. Need to emulate cloud locally with vast log processing and IoT full stack development with redundancy. I want to work on the solution, not maintain it scaling in real-time, something for IT / DevOps. Waiting for AMD's October statements to either wait or hope it will bring down the price of 16 core + CPUs.

              I some times use my backup laptop, a Pinebook Pro with 4GB RAM, and that runs GNOME just fine. Most RAM usage is just caching. But I do use the tab-sleep extension for Firefox.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post

                It's really not that unreasonable. For very good quality I'd pay twice that. I'm very happy with my Precision 5540, and it's not exactly a cheap system.
                I would agree with you but this XPS laptop is as average as it gets and i see nothing quality wise that scream 1200$ is even close to fine and honestly DELL isn't exactly top quality anymore to just swallow those prices as brand loyalty like Apple does.

                Also i see no feature this system have that is not offered equally or better by literally any other brand at the 700$ range also the performance of the CPU is extremely low for this price tag.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

                  I would agree with you but this XPS laptop is as average as it gets and i see nothing quality wise that scream 1200$ is even close to fine and honestly DELL isn't exactly top quality anymore to just swallow those prices as brand loyalty like Apple does.

                  Also i see no feature this system have that is not offered equally or better by literally any other brand at the 700$ range also the performance of the CPU is extremely low for this price tag.
                  Yeah, best to wait for some kind of discount/sale. I got my current Thinkpad at a big discount during a Thanksgiving sale. Unfortunately I waited one day extra, and thus the price rose by USD 150
                  ​​​​
                  If you see a good deal, just go for it.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

                    In that price range most laptops are monsters, if you want class go down to 700$ for 4800H without dedicated GPU + 1tb + 16GB and way better screen.

                    That price tag of 1200$ is idiot gauging, with those specs it should come a disability certificate for the buyer
                    You can find sleek and sober quality laptops for 1200$ with a dedicated GPU (or without) and 16GB RAM. It doesn't have to be a machine for gamers.

                    Plus, I don't know of any laptop around 700$ with AMD CPU and pre-loaded with Linux. The less expansive AMD + Linux laptop I know is the Tuxedo device available from around 900€. If it exists, let my shopping cart know. It would swallow it this instant.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by Mez' View Post

                      I don't know of any laptop around 700$ with AMD CPU and pre-loaded with Linux.

                      There are a few in the $1000-1100 range in the new Lenovo ThinkPads, but you're right, very few budget options.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X