Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell XPS With Intel Tiger Lake + Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Goes On Sale - Benchmarks Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell XPS With Intel Tiger Lake + Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Goes On Sale - Benchmarks Coming

Phoronix: Dell XPS With Intel Tiger Lake + Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Goes On Sale - Benchmarks Coming

When Intel announced 11th Gen "Tiger Lake" last month it wasn't clear how long it would be until seeing systems actually appear with these new processors. Fortunately, the new Dell XPS systems with Tiger Lake and Intel EVO certification are on sale beginning today with shipping dates reported to be later this month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wrong spec, you write
    The base model of the Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition costs $1049 USD with an Intel Core i5 1135G7 Tiger Lake processor and 8GB of RAM, 1920 x 1200 display, and 256GB of RAM.
    It should be 256GB of nvme or something similar.

Looks interesting I will like ryzen cpu with Linux.

Comment

"tempting, but... no thanks".

Developers, I mean, those developers that use Linux, usually want:
      1. Plenty of RAM. 8GB is laughable and 16GB should be the bare minimum nowadays, because you know, developers happen to run virtual machines too.
      2. Plenty of storage. 256GB is what I had in my last Dell Precision back in year 2013, pretty much for the same reason above. Dell should not even offer that for developers.
      3. Reasonable display size. 1900x1200 on a 13.4" display is just useless to read lines of code.
      4. The best keyboard out there and no, this crap is a decent keyboard at best: the keys need to be recognizable under the fingers without the developer needing to look at them. In other words low flat keys are the opposite of what they need. Those keys do have a little gap between each other so that's what makes this keyboard decent, but not the best for developers.
      5. Probably a trackpoint to avoid moving the hand away from the best keyboard.
      6. Assuming a trackpoint was present, they probably see the touchpad as useless space taken from the best keyboard, so keep it small if you absolutely wanted to shove one into that notebook
      7. Physical mouse buttons, separated from the useless touchpad
      8. Any Linux distro but Ubuntu, unless they are Canonical devs (ok, they can always replace it, but WTF, they've just sold a kidney at the black market to buy a new notebook and they must reinstall the OS as a first step)
      9. Maybe Ryzen instead of i5/i7, or at least as an option?

Comment

Linux support on a laptop from a major OEM at launch... this is a great achievement for both the open source community and for Intel & Dell doing the groundwork so this can happen.

Comment

Really a shame they limit these to 16gb. The benefit of native Linux for me is that I can do serious work locally, if I'm going to be forced to run anything moderately heavy on a remote system anyway the local OS doesn't really matter to me.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

1. Plenty of RAM. 8GB is laughable and 16GB should be the bare minimum nowadays, because you know, developers happen to run virtual machines too.
            2. Plenty of storage. 256GB is what I had in my last Dell Precision back in year 2013, pretty much for the same reason above. Dell should not even offer that for developers.
            3. Reasonable display size. 1900x1200 on a 13.4" display is just useless to read lines of code.
            4. The best keyboard out there and no, this crap is a decent keyboard at best: the keys need to be recognizable under the fingers without the developer needing to look at them. In other words low flat keys are the opposite of what they need. Those keys do have a little gap between each other so that's what makes this keyboard decent, but not the best for developers.
            6. Assuming a trackpoint was present, they probably see the touchpad as useless space taken from the best keyboard, so keep it small if you absolutely wanted to shove one into that notebook
            8. Any Linux distro but Ubuntu, unless they are Canonical devs (ok, they can always replace it, but WTF, they've just sold a kidney at the black market to buy a new notebook and they must reinstall the OS as a first step)
            The only thing I take from your list is the extra RAM for my containers. Don't need any of the rest. Of course, I wouldn't leave Ubuntu also, I develop on Fedora. But having bought computers with Windows my whole life, I really don't care what comes in it, as long as it's not Windows that should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

I definitely agree with the RAM bit, 16GB of RAM should be standard on a dev workstation. As far as the rest, I mostly disagree. For the "Any Linux distro but Ubuntu, unless they are Canonical devs (ok, they can always replace it, but WTF, they've just sold a kidney at the black market to buy a new notebook and they must reinstall the OS as a first step)" bit, Ubuntu is still one of the most popular and well-supported operating systems, and more importantly, as an end-user, the benefit of having laptops come with Linux was NEVER the convenience (I mean yeah it's nice), but the fact it is well-supported and certified to work without issues.

Comment

Am I reading that picture correctly? Is this a discount of 99 cents?

Comment

8GB RAM is plenty for a linux machine

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
                    8GB RAM is plenty for a linux machine
                    Until you open Slack and your RAM goes p00f and the apps that actually matter come to a stand still

Comment

Working...
                    X