Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purism Finally Announces The Firmed Up Specifications For The Librem 5 Smartphone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    i'm using fedora and its freedom and privacy come for free
    It's not for free; it's just that other people are paying for it on your behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by xfcemint View Post
      I am quite pleased to see a 720p screen phone, as that should be plentiful given the limitations of human sight. I'm quite surprised to see that the author of the article bashed the screen, showing his complete ignorance on the subject, and trying to promote the all-abound high-resolution histeria sponsored by greedy smartphone companies.
      either you didn't try to read pdf from nearby 720p screen, or your sight is indeed too limited for a human. but that's not a reason to bash author for pointing out ridiculous resolution choice for 2019

Comment

720x1280 is sufficient for "very sharp" image and text display on a 6 inch smartphone. It's not perfect (human eye has sufficient resolution to see even sharper under certain circumstances), but it is OK for most uses.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
          iPhones weren't overpriced at the beginning.
          if 1000% markup on flash isn't overpriced then what is?

Comment

720x1280 is sufficient for "very sharp" image and text display on a 6 inch smartphone. It's not perfect (human eye has sufficient resolution to see even sharper under certain circumstances), but it is OK for most uses.
            just locate book to fit 1280 px width and look at ugly letters

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
              It's not for free; it's just that other people are paying for it on your behalf.
              you are saying it like this is something bad. i'll gladly accept their payment on my behalf for phone spin too

Comment

either you didn't try to read pdf from nearby 720p screen, or your sight is indeed too limited for a human. but that's not a reason to bash author for pointing out ridiculous resolution choice for 2019
                It's not ridiculous. The manufacturer is trying to make the phone cheaper, and , as you can see, there are many compalints about the price.

Using a higher resolution screen would increase the price even more, also putting additional burden on a CPU, which is already on the edge of it's abilities.

So yes, I'm bashing the author for not being considerate about lower-budget users, instead buying into the overhyped high-resolution screen hysteria. He deserves to be bashed on this occasion.

Comment

just locate book to fit 1280 px width and look at ugly letters
                  You would get "ugly letters" only if you used a viewer which is so obsolete that it has no support for antialiasing. So, that would be your fault and your stupidity, not the limitation of the screen.

Otherwise, fonts look very nice on 720 x 1280 on 6 inch.

Comment

It's not ridiculous. The manufacturer is trying to make the phone cheaper, and , as you can see, there are many compalints about the price.
                    i'm pretty sure price difference with fhd screen of same size is about $1
                    Using a higher resolution screen would increase the price even more, also putting additional burden on a CPU, which is already on the edge of it's abilities.
                    it wouldn't be a device for gaming, but is it marketed as such?

Comment

+1 on the low res screen. I was going to get one but then I found out about the 720p screen
                      tried to convince them to use a 1080p one, but unfortunately no change. So unfortunately also no sale

Comment

Working...
                      X