Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purism Finally Announces The Firmed Up Specifications For The Librem 5 Smartphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    It's not for free; it's just that other people are paying for it on your behalf.
    you are saying it like this is something bad. i'll gladly accept their payment on my behalf for phone spin too

Comment

Originally posted by xfcemint View Post
      It's not ridiculous. The manufacturer is trying to make the phone cheaper, and , as you can see, there are many compalints about the price.
      i'm pretty sure price difference with fhd screen of same size is about $1
      Using a higher resolution screen would increase the price even more, also putting additional burden on a CPU, which is already on the edge of it's abilities.
      it wouldn't be a device for gaming, but is it marketed as such?

Comment

+1 on the low res screen. I was going to get one but then I found out about the 720p screen
        tried to convince them to use a 1080p one, but unfortunately no change. So unfortunately also no sale

Comment

From the FAQ

Having 720x1440 pixels within a 5.7” screen has the benefits of clear pictures and 2:1 square pixel ratio. Also, higher resolutions would have a higher heat dissipation and increased power usage since more pixels need to be moved around so we are purposefully reducing the heat dissipation and power consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            I totally agree. But, I'm also not the type of person to buy expensive phones in the first place. Cheap crappy phones have always served me well.
            Same here. I only got second hand phones for free from friends. But I am tempted when reading about the Purism 5... My girlfriend has a Fairphone 2, which is also tempting.

Comment

i actually have relatively few requirements for next phone, among them:
              at least 5.7" screen (check)
              at least fhd resolution
              nfc
              wireless charging
              sd card(check)
              replaceable battery(check)
              i also require at least 32gb of flash(check), but it is android-specific

Comment

You would get "ugly letters" only if you used a viewer which is so obsolete that it has no support for antialiasing. So, that would be your fault and your stupidity, not the limitation of the screen.
                such fantasies only show you your limitation and stupidity. presence of antialiasing is trivial to check by looking at screen via smartphone camera
                Otherwise, fonts look very nice on 720 x 1280 on 6 inch.
                just look side by side at 1280 pdf page and 1920 same page to see difference between "nice" and better. and move closer since nobody is using smartphone from 70 cm
                Last edited by pal666; 29 July 2019, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Can you post anything to back up your claim? The prices of 720p and 1080p screens?
                  your claim was first
                  but i have an upper bound ( nice picture inside ) https://technology.ihs.com/603423/sm...hs-markit-says
                  if price is linear with respect of number of pixels then fhd would cost one half of $15 and subj would cost one quarter of $15, i.e. difference will be $3.75
                  but obviously price dependence on number of pixels (while keeping physical size) is much smaller
                  Last edited by pal666; 29 July 2019, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    if 1000% markup on flash isn't overpriced then what is?
                    Their R&D recovery costs.

Comment

Anyone who expects an OSS phone to be on the price level of competition when it comes to hw specs is kidding themselves. Go watch your ads to get facebook free why don't you.

Developing a phone from pretty much scratch costs a LOT of money. If they can make it, even with hurdles it's going to be a near-miracle outcome.

The screen resolution is fine too, anything more than that on a screen with 5" size is a nice heater in the winter with top notch power wasting capabilities. I never got why people push higher resolutions on phones than on 21+" monitors.

The main thing is if they deliver within a normal time frame. They can't keep delaying too much otherwise it becomes too obsolete even for the niche they're targetting. I'm really hoping it works out, especially since Jolla pretty much sold out.
                      Last edited by Almindor; 29 July 2019, 06:03 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                      X