Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purism Finally Announces The Firmed Up Specifications For The Librem 5 Smartphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I think the real problem with the price is that you probably won't be able to get this phone on a contract deal. Most people don't actually pay $1000 on an iPhone; they basically lease one. I'm sure most carriers aren't going to have contract/lease options for this phone, which means people will need to pay the price in full (or go with a 3rd-party payment plan).
    In the end most people are not better off with a contract deal. The lease costs more in the long run.

Comment

These specs are totally sufficient for most users. Other things of this phone are way more important: how durable will it be, price of repairs, can I repair at least partly myself...?

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post
        In the end most people are not better off with a contract deal. The lease costs more in the long run.
        I totally agree. But, I'm also not the type of person to buy expensive phones in the first place. Cheap crappy phones have always served me well.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        This is not aimed at idiots that need to show off with money they don't have, so that's not a major issue.

Besides, getting a 700$ lease isn't that hard in first world countries if you have some kind of stable job. If you can't just save up money like a non-US-citizen usually does.
        You're probably right, but whether people are showing off money they have or don't have, I don't know too many people who own $700+ phones that are less than a year old. So, the point of my post was to say that most people will find that price point steep if they're paying for it in full, but, most people are willing to pay for something more expensive if the payments are spread out (even if that means they're actually paying more in the long run). I'm not saying it's a good idea (I personally never buy anything I can't pay for up-front, except maybe a house) I'm just saying what the reality is.

Comment

Originally posted by paupav View Post
          I don't think its overpriced. They had to develop OS and libhandy and everything.
          i'm not sure why they were forced to develop their own os

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post
            These specs are totally sufficient for most users. Other things of this phone are way more important: how durable will it be, price of repairs, can I repair at least partly myself...?
            This will be the biggest buying factor in me getting one of these. If it's not easily serviceable then onto the cheap pinephone for me.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              Freedom and Privacy is not free.
              i'm using fedora and its freedom and privacy come for free

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                i'm using fedora and its freedom and privacy come for free
                It's not for free; it's just that other people are paying for it on your behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by xfcemint View Post
                  I am quite pleased to see a 720p screen phone, as that should be plentiful given the limitations of human sight. I'm quite surprised to see that the author of the article bashed the screen, showing his complete ignorance on the subject, and trying to promote the all-abound high-resolution histeria sponsored by greedy smartphone companies.
                  either you didn't try to read pdf from nearby 720p screen, or your sight is indeed too limited for a human. but that's not a reason to bash author for pointing out ridiculous resolution choice for 2019

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                    iPhones weren't overpriced at the beginning.
                    if 1000% markup on flash isn't overpriced then what is?

Comment

Originally posted by xfcemint View Post
                      720x1280 is sufficient for "very sharp" image and text display on a 6 inch smartphone. It's not perfect (human eye has sufficient resolution to see even sharper under certain circumstances), but it is OK for most uses.
                      just locate book to fit 1280 px width and look at ugly letters

Comment

Working...
                      X