Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis View Post

Your post [...] has zero counter arguments. [...]
    That would be feeding the troll, won't do any longer.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

This was your comment from February:

Does Microsoft pay you for doing this every month? I hope you aren't doing it for free.
      Nop. I just like it. And since you can publish a news every month how the stats are on Steam, I can add my complementary commentary.

Since it saddens you so much, maybe I can console you with the fact that Xbox is performing poorly and PS5 has twice as many sold . Satisfied? This time I was paid by Sony.​

Comment

Originally posted by rrveex View Post
        This just made me think avis is not a windows fanboy but actually a very clever troll
        Not so clever given their list contains thing one would not want to have
        Maybe they lost track of the "doesn't have" while adding items to the list.

A clever troll would not get carried away like that, it immediately makes the troll attempt obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post

No idea whats going on there, but under "Linux doesn't offer" are also "Very poor graphics features", which means Linux doesn't offer poor graphics features. In all seriousness, I don't care. I was first making a reply, but then deleted it. In example he says Linux offers near zero benefits over Windows, which is untrue. But it might be true for "him". Besides privacy and better security, I think customization is also important. Linux usually works better on old or hardware too. I mean, who am I explaining the benefits of Linux over Windows; we are on Phoronix. You guys know. (Why the hell do I sound like being sarcastic all the time, if I'm not???)

I wouldn't be shocked if some games or applications run better on Linux than on Windows. I've read about stories and posts like these before, but have nothing at my hand right now.
          Linux features neither better privacy, nor better security. I'd say it features different privacy and security but not better. Microsoft has not offered malware as part of Windows installation, Linux has just done it using XZ.

And yes, some applications, e.g. Blender run better under Linux because Windows has been lagging in terms of fully utilizing all CPU cores simultaneously. Linux on the other hand has always been a server OS, so it would be crazy if Linux didn't scale to all cores properly.
          • At the same time Thread Director in Windows has still not been ported to Linux - that's for Intel.
          • AMD still has not ported their software which pins certain applications to certain cores for their X3D CPUs.
          Even basic hardware features, like CPU support, are not properly supported under Linux. But yeah, your 20 year old PC works better under Linux because no one even considers it a gaming device. Again, "for me", "for me", "for me". Every second, wait, first message, I guess. And of course you'll tell me that you own neither ADL/RPL/MTL, nor any AMD CPU with two CCDs where only one of them features the X3D cache.

It's always about "me" for Linux fans. "If it works for me Windows users are idiots for not switching to Linux".

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post

Not so clever given their list contains thing one would not want to have
          Maybe they lost track of the "doesn't have" while adding items to the list.

A clever troll would not get carried away like that, it immediately makes the troll attempt obvious.
          Only capable of insults, I see. A nice welcoming community, I get it. Cannot provide any counter arguments, only insults. Let's have a couple more Phoronix users calling me a troll, that will surely make your opinion valid. God, that's cringe and pathetic simultaneously.

Comment

Cannot provide any counter arguments
            I have provided a counter argument to one of the two options put forward by the poster I replied to.

I disputed their usage of "very clever troll" given the obvious lack of consistency in the posting they were referring to.

No self respecting troll would fumble like this, let alone a "very clever" one.

Which makes it much more likely that the other poster's first theory applies.
            Windows fan boys are known to be very inconsistent when posting on Linux channels.

Comment

Linux features neither better privacy, nor better security. I'd say it features different privacy and security but not better.
              Linux operating systems are better in privacy and security. We have control over every component and know what is happening in the code too. On the other hand, we don't have control over what is being collected by Microsoft, plus Microsoft has an interest to collect data. Look all the options you can turn off so Windows collects **less** and that's what we know about. There is still some unknown involved too. You don't have that with Linux operating systems. Therefore Linux privacy is objectively better than Windows.

Security is better on Linux too, at least on paper. But its hard to know exactly. Most malware target Windows, simply because there are most users. I argue that having a package manager is more secure than not having it.

> Microsoft has not offered malware as part of Windows installation, Linux has just done it using XZ.

Microsoft offers lot of malware as part of Windows installation. You just don't call them malware. And XZ was a sophisticated hack. I recommend reading more about that topic. Besides that, every single problem with Linux gets public, unlike with Windows. Your trust in Windows will betray you, if not betrayed you already, you are just blind to see it.

From your replies I see it makes no sense to discuss further. Therefore I will not reply to you back. It's ridiculous! (BTW, "ridiculous" is one of my favorite words.)

Comment

MX linux and MINT are the most used distributions : can they run steam without any problem ?
                Are many steam games running in linux without any problem ?

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronos View Post
                  MX linux and MINT are the most used distributions : can they run steam without any problem ?
                  Are many steam games running in linux without any problem ?
                  It runs Steam without any problem (does require some extra setup for Nvidia drives, but relatively easy through the GUI tool).
                  As for games you can always check protondb.com, most games work through Proton on Linux (out of the top 100, only 8 are borked) but it is a good idea to always check beforehand if yours works, some major titles (like Elden Ring) even worked on release.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronos View Post
                    MX linux and MINT are the most used distributions
                    I don't believe that. We have no real statistics for this. If you think that Distrowatch is an indication of how many users a distribution has, than you simply did not understand what Distrowatch is. (BTW I refer to this site, because both mentioned distros are the top most clicked ones.) They just track clicks on their own website. That's all. Naturally Debian has less new versions and therefore people will less likely clicking on the site. And we cannot look at installation numbers alone too, because rolling releases will naturally have less installs cause by its distribution model, compared to distros with many releases in short period of time. We don't know how many users each distribution has. So any such statement is an estimation based on random statistics.

The closest thing to stats for something like this we have is Steam. It's gaming only yes, but you was talking about Steam games anyway. Look at the official survey results: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/?platform=linux
                    "SteamOS Holo" 64 bit 44.22%
                    "Arch Linux" 64 bit 7.66%
                    Freedesktop SDK 23.08 (Flatpak runtime) 64 bit 5.97%
                    Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS 64 bit 5.54%
                    Linux Mint 21.3 64 bit 5.54%
                    "Manjaro Linux" 64 bit 3.42%
                    Other 29.41%
                    MX-Linux isn't even listed (which is the top result on Distrowatch).

Comment

I wasn't ready back then, it's not ready now. Back then we had 3DO which released natives games which worked. Nowadays you have to deal with layers of compatibility which are not guaranteed to work.

If Windows 11 is "spyware", sure there must be thousands if not millions of cases of Windows being used for espionage and siphoning data off. Where can I read about them? Nothing? 2 billion users and no documented cases?
                      What's the point of asking questions if you're going to answer them yourself after having been proven wrong countless times in the past? You literally ignore every fucking link and this only the 500th time you're doing it, not the second.

This is what we call an actual ignorant: parroting the same line over and over again and refusing to look at facts.

Maybe if you say it again you might get a miracle and quantumtunneling will make it happen.

Same shit with the malware we call kernel-space anti cheats, which you always claim it has no issues, and yet there have been countless records of it being hijacked (security exploit) or malware. How many times must I post links of fiasco happening about it before you stop? Nevermind, you never will.

Comment

Working...
                      X