Steam On Linux Use Increases - Moves Closer To 2%, AMD CPU Linux Use Hits 72%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by byteabit View Post
    On the one hand I would be for but on the other I am against a dislike button. That's because the dislike button can be abused by people organizing themselves or even create multiple accounts to downvote. This is a huge problem in some communities. I don't like weighting replies by like and dislike, because of that. This can only work with really man users, like in Reddit and even then, Reddit has or had algorithms to detect if someone is abusing this. With not so many users in Phoronix, easy account creation and no good detecting on the upvote/downvote, this can easily be abused. Edit: Basically having weighted posts and replies incentivizes to create even more fake accounts to do this.
    On the other hand, if such a feature would be added, it should be an option to disable weighting. Maybe even a live on/off on each page. I'm not entirely against this idea, just expressing my concerns.
    you are absolutly right and it comes down to 2 factors one what you do with the dislike count info as you say you could enable or disable it even on each page. and the second factor is something people missunterstand if some people need to make fake accounts to beat the system you should keep in mind that people like [email protected] need to generate money means you could charge 2-3€ per account making
    normal people like us would pay 1 time even in 20 years and this would not increase the costs for sane users much. its like nothing over 20 years...

but imagine someone who want to abuse the system and makes 1000 fake accounts well then he have to pay 3000€ to [email protected]...

sane users would only need to pay 3€ in 20 years.... these spammers and violaters would pay 3000€ in a week.
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
      normal people like us would pay 1 time even in 20 years and this would not increase the costs for sane users much. its like nothing over 20 years...
      I see what you are saying, but to be fair, it's not nothing. There is still Ad-Revenue and already a functional Premium account system to pay each month, not lifetime: https://www.phoronix.com/phoronix-premium And I totally forgot about that and was still blocking the ads. For this, I will unblock the ads for this site.

This could indeed be a functionality for premium users, who wish to weight the posts by like and dislike. However if paying money to be able to reply in the forums would be required, that would make Phoronix a dead forum soon or using same users only. It's like paid games in App Stores for smartphones have no chance to survive, it must be free to people engage. Otherwise they would just go to other social media and forums. And people with money wouldn't care to pay the few Euros, if they have the opportunity to destroy others. That's why pay to win works in games so well.

I hope that I don't sound too dark in my replies. But one has to do this very carefully, otherwise you just generate more possibilities to abuse and more problems than solving.

Comment

I see what you are saying, but to be fair, it's not nothing. There is still Ad-Revenue and already a functional Premium account system to pay each month, not lifetime: https://www.phoronix.com/phoronix-premium And I totally forgot about that and was still blocking the ads. For this, I will unblock the ads for this site.
        This could indeed be a functionality for premium users, who wish to weight the posts by like and dislike. However if paying money to be able to reply in the forums would be required, that would make Phoronix a dead forum soon or using same users only. It's like paid games in App Stores for smartphones have no chance to survive, it must be free to people engage. Otherwise they would just go to other social media and forums. And people with money wouldn't care to pay the few Euros, if they have the opportunity to destroy others. That's why pay to win works in games so well.
        I hope that I don't sound too dark in my replies. But one has to do this very carefully, otherwise you just generate more possibilities to abuse and more problems than solving.
        one could just super charge the spam filter with the pay function and leave the rest free to use.

"This could indeed be a functionality for premium users, who wish to weight the posts by like and dislike."

right there are literally people who would pay money to not see Avis and Sophisticle posts. on a individual basis of course.

people like Avis and Sophisticle only do their sinister plot because they know many people will read their posts here.

any premium user not reading their nonsense is a happy customer...
        Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

I see the dilemma here. At least not banning people allows us them to block. I was never a moderator, so not sure how to deal with situations like that.
          Imagine that you are a troll. Where do you go? To a website where you can be downvoted (therefore finally ignored)? NO! To a website with forum threads where yours can be ignored easily? NO! You go to a place where people read your comments!

And if you are banned, later you are unbanned (and allowed to troll again) or you can open another account (144Hz / Funkstar / GhostOfFunkS / Griffin / Honton / etc., birdie / avis / avem / etc.) to troll again!

At some point, you realize that the more you write troll messages, the more money earns the site owner (ad views).​

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
            the more you write troll messages, the more money earns the site owner (ad views).​
            I think that this method does more harm than good. Edit: In example I left many forums and communities because of trolls. Which means, the more trolls are having fun, the less it will attract users and the community has a bad reputation. Slowly dying.

Comment

I think that this method does more harm than good. Edit: In example I left many forums and communities because of trolls. Which means, the more trolls are having fun, the less it will attract users and the community has a bad reputation. Slowly dying.
              Yes. Also, imagine that you are a troll with no real job, you can take an indecent advantage of it. You can do first posts almost immediately, they are the most viewed and replied posts there!

Comment

Working...
              X