Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
    Better than on Linux.
    Spy and hackers agency introduce their own bacdoors to linux and open source (intentional bugs) and connect to whoever they want and download what data they want.
    That's why in companies Linux servers are never directly visible on the Internet, but work behind gateways. Otherwise anyone could get into Linux through vulnerabilities.
    Everyone knows this except Linux users. Some believe in god. Others in the fact that linux has no backdoors.
    all this happens for real thats sure. but a random forum user like "HEL88" or some random hacker from the internet looks to me like more trustworthy than microsoft or even the government.
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post
      The arguments of some people is head scratching. Linux has better privacy and security than Windows, everyone knows this except Windows users. Some believe in the devil. Others in the fact that Windows is better than Linux because it's closed source (I couldn't write this with a straight face ).
      looks like we deal with a hypernormalisation psychological operation...

Comment

LOL
        Look at companies, corporations whose data is worth a lot of money.
        Application or database servers running on Linux are hidden behind VPNs, firewalls, gateways. No one has the right to access them directly. Always through a gateway. There is no trust in Linux.
        No one knows who is behind the patches. Not sure if they are introducing intenational 'bugs'. You don't know if some 'security researchers' who are running the patches aren't paid by Russia, China or other groups.
        For that, the whole company, all users, legal departments, accounting departments, managers, CEO work on Windows. And this system is directly exposed to the Internet. That's because there is a lot of trust in Microsoft. The security of users and their data is aligned with the interests of this company.
        isn't it true that any serious cyber security expert would use any server and any system hidden behind VPNs, firewalls, gateways. ???

i mean the computer i write here is fedora40 beta and even this desktop computer is behind a VPN and OpenWRT hardware router and so one.

and i only browse the web with this computer. means any serious cyber security expert would use such systems on any server or desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

I wasn't ready back then, it's not ready now. Back then we had 3DO which released natives games which worked. Nowadays you have to deal with layers of compatibility which are not guaranteed to work.

If Windows 11 is "spyware", sure there must be thousands if not millions of cases of Windows being used for espionage and siphoning data off. Where can I read about them? Nothing? 2 billion users and no documented cases? You, see, you are parroting a ridiculous myth of your own making thinking other people are equally obsessed with it. They are not. Windows continues to be miles better than Linux.

Linux offers near zero benefits over Windows other than better "privacy" (lies, Linux users can be tracked a lot easier) and better "security" (lies, just check the front page of this website).

At the same time, what Linux doesn't offer:
          • Long term backward and forward compatibility
          • Stability
          • Rich APIs
          • Support for many modern HW and SW features such as HDR, VRR, DLSS, FSR, XeSS, etc.
          • Very poor graphics features (check AMD/NVIDIA graphics control panels)
          • Very poor/incomplete HW monitoring
          • Kernel level anticheats (you can hate them all you want but games using them have an order of magnitude fewer cheaters)
          • Powerful tools for overclocking and undervolting (Linux has some but they are extremely basic and limited)
          • DCI-P3 monitors support - I now have two such devices and both work horribly under Linux, both Xorg and Wayland
          Why would the average Joe abandon perfectly working Windows and start using Linux?
          Average joe? Your list is hilarious. Let's go through them, shall we?

* Long term backward and forward compatibility - couldn't care less. Average joes pretty much get new stuff with new versions
          * Stability - already got this in spades
          * Rich APIs - average joes couldn't even tell you what an API is. Besides, Linux has this as well.
          * Support for many modern HW and SW features such as HDR, VRR, DLSS, FSR, XeSS, etc. - Again average joes couldn't even tell you what any of these are
          * Very poor graphics features (check AMD/NVIDIA graphics control panels) - Average joes probably don't even know such a thing exists, much less actually used it.
          * Very poor/incomplete HW monitoring - Average joes don't do this at all.
          * Kernel level anticheats (you can hate them all you want but games using them have an order of magnitude fewer cheaters) - Average joes don't do kernel mods
          * Powerful tools for overclocking and undervolting (Linux has some but they are extremely basic and limited) - Average joes have no clue what this is.
          * DCI-P3 monitors support - Average joes don't have these type of monitors and couldn't even explain how they differ.

So, what exactly is your definition of "average joe"? Mine is an ordinary non-technical person who just wants to use a computer to surf the web, and maybe do a few other non-specialized things.

Comment

This forum seriously need some moderation and rules. I like open discussion and having fun with people, but if it gets too wild, then something need to happen. Maybe Michael should make some of the trusted users a moderator? Or one to see if this works out.
            tildearrow​ is a trusted user who michael made a moderator...

problem is if you ban someone they just make new account and then people don't know he is a troll

but if you do not ban them they stay with their old account and people learn that they can not take this account seriously and its a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
              tildearrowproblem is if you ban someone they just make new account and then people don't know he is a troll

but if you do not ban them they stay with their old account and people learn that they can not take this account seriously and its a troll.
              I see the dilemma here. At least not banning people allows us them to block. I was never a moderator, so not sure how to deal with situations like that.

Comment

Originally posted by ben9191919191 View Post
                Some facts from a somewhat young person for the boomers here:

1) From your boomer experience using Linux already starting around the year 2000 or something like that, it may seems "What do you mean, look how Linux on the desktop is today". Sure buddy, if you compare today desktop Linux with the complete shit it was 25 years ago, then everything seems like the golden days. In reality it is still shit for most users.
                Fun fact being: it has never been "shit". Instead, it has been 100 times better than Windows since I started using it around 1998. Only for *games* was it near impossible to use Linux except for the very few native ones. As a productivity platform however, it has always been several magnitudes better than Windows. The only requirement to enjoy it was to triple-check which hardware was supported before buying so usually you couldn't grab the latest thing day 1. No big deal really.

Comment

Look at companies, corporations whose data is worth a lot of money.
                  Application or database servers running on Linux are hidden behind VPNs, firewalls, gateways. No one has the right to access them directly. Always through a gateway. There is no trust in Linux.
                  LOL

They do that as they would with Windows servers simply because it would be utterly stupid and unprofessional to keep a machine exposed beyond what's strictly necessary considering the potential intensity and frequency of attacks against a machine online H24, 7.7.

Do you even work in IT to allow yourself such bad faith fallacy? xd

Comment

I see the dilemma here. At least not banning people allows us them to block. I was never a moderator, so not sure how to deal with situations like that.
                    absolutly right i also advise to not ban people if you ban they make new account and people are no longer on the block list of individual users.
                    the forum has a like button we really should have a dislike button... and the forum should support to make text of posts with many likes bigger and posts with many dislike should be presented smaller in text.
                    smaller in text to a degree that you need to zoom in to read the post if you want.

many times people argue with avis/Sophisticles and the people who fights them has 10-20 likes and avis and sophisticles most of the time have zero or only 1-2 likes ... means they just like their own posts means if avis writes something then sophisticles likes it and if sophisticles writes something then avis likes it... thats why they maybe have 1-2 likes and their enemies have 20+ likes.

if we would have a forum software who makes disliked posts smaller and liked posts bigge then people could ignore these negative posts better.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
                      the forum has a like button we really should have a dislike button...
                      if we would have a forum software who makes disliked posts smaller and liked posts bigge then people could ignore these negative posts better.
                      On the one hand I would be for but on the other I am against a dislike button. That's because the dislike button can be abused by people organizing themselves or even create multiple accounts to downvote. This is a huge problem in some communities. I don't like weighting replies by like and dislike, because of that. This can only work with really man users, like in Reddit and even then, Reddit has or had algorithms to detect if someone is abusing this. With not so many users in Phoronix, easy account creation and no good detecting on the upvote/downvote, this can easily be abused. Edit: Basically having weighted posts and replies incentivizes to create even more fake accounts to do this.

On the other hand, if such a feature would be added, it should be an option to disable weighting. Maybe even a live on/off on each page. I'm not entirely against this idea, just expressing my concerns.

Comment

Working...
                      X