Steam On Linux Use Increases - Moves Closer To 2%, AMD CPU Linux Use Hits 72%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
    Application or database servers running on Linux are hidden behind VPNs, firewalls, gateways. No one has the right to access them directly. Always through a gateway. There is no trust in Linux.

That has nothing to do with no one would trust in Linux, otherwise they wouldn't use it, your argumentation is flawed. They would do it behind VPNs, firewalls and gateways if it was Windows too. No one should trust an operating system to be perfect, especially not something you don't know what is happening behind the code of closed source code.

No one knows who is behind the patches. Not sure if they are introducing intenational 'bugs'. You don't know if some 'security researchers' who are running the patches aren't paid by Russia, China or other groups.​
    This flawed argumentation against open source doesn't hold up, if we compare it to closed source Windows. Besides that you assume this would happen (if it happens at all, but you know it all), if it happens on open source, what makes you so sure it would not happen on closed source? Its even easier to hide and cooperate with Microsoft and Windows, because nobody can look in the code. I mean your argumentation is against any source code and is not based on facts either.

The security of users and their data is aligned with the interests of this company.
    You have no proof other than hallucinating stuff together. The source code is open and is controlled by the Linux developers. Other companies can't do with Linux what they want.

---

I was hoping to have good conversation in the comments section of Phoronix, but it looks like trolls and conspiracies have a good time here. Guess I'm blocking him too, but if this keeps happening ...

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post
      ​.
      The fact is that governments of various countries, corporations worth billions use Windows. Secrets, legal acts, projects, sensitive data, contracts worth a lot of money are entrusted to this system. It is used by the heads of major companies.

And a troll like you. He sits on the forum and writes that fools only use because everyone knows that it is full of bugs and backdoors.

Nobody knows that. Only low-level employees and unemployed people with lots of free time know it.

Comment

That's why in companies Linux servers are never directly visible on the Internet, but work behind gateways. ​
        Even those gateways are running on Linux.

Linux is the Internet.
        It runs the routers, gateways, firewalls, access points, VPN end points and DNS servers.
        It runs the majority of web servers, mail servers, media streaming servers, app stores, backend servers for apps and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post

Even those gateways are running on Linux.
          Of course. But these are simple servers, easy to update with few dependencies.

In addition, they are very heavily monitored so before an attack goes from them to the application and database servers there is time to react.

I work in a large company (as a programmer not an administrator) which is systematically attacked and as far as I know they have yet to get to any sensitive data.

The bottom line is very strong telemetry, detection of anomalies. and quick response. The operating system is less important.​ And the threat can come from inside the company not just from outside, that too must be kept in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Could you please *stop*? Have some respect and actually leave if you don't enjoy being here (as you've mentioned countless times in many other threads).
            At this point it appears that you intentionally come back to wreak havoc and have a good laugh, [...]
            That's what trolls do, and your post fed this one.

If everybody stopped feeding him, he might lose interest and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by tenchrio View Post
              Man, I was looking forwards to a civil comment section where people could discuss the recent numbers and imagine my shock when I saw that Avis was unbanned.
              Welp it was fun while it lasted, guess my initial theory was correct, only reason he isn't banned is because he must be generating mad add revenue for Phoronix with everyone constantly having to reply to Avis's opinion based on "facts" from a parallel universe.
              Doesn't make sense why he does it (supposedly he "gr​inds" the games he plays but his Posts Per Day would say otherwise, only thing he grinds is more respectable Phoronix users their gears) let alone why Phoronix mods allow this to persist when he literally flames everyone he comes across (so breaking Forum Rule 1 constantly), and when he loses the argument (always does, half of what he says is never true and a 5 second google away like Apex Legends not working on Linux while in actuality it has a gold rating on protondb + steamdeck verified), and the ensuing flamewar he created he blocks them and puts them on his about as if he actually accomplished something (posts about it too directly in the comment, real mature).
              Birdie was never unbanned he just create new user accounts.

avis=birdie
              Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post
                OK, another one on block. I don't have time for this.
                it looks like someone like avis or sophisticles created this Phoronos​ account just to troll you and us
                Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

That's what trolls do, and your post fed this one.

If everybody stopped feeding him, he might lose interest and move on.
                  For one thing that's very true, but teaching everyone to ignore a troll (which also implies teaching everyone that he is a troll (and of course some may disagree (either due to personal belief, siding with the troll or some other reason))) is an arduous task.
                  Even if we do manage to ignore him:
                  - His comments would still be visible to spectators, which may not be aware he is a troll.
                  - He would get a chance to post misinformation, which boosts the urge to respond and disprove his post.
                  Last edited by tildearrow; 03 April 2024, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

How's your comment have any relevance to this discussion? Game servers may run under freebsd or even MS-DOS for all I know. We are discussing end user's gaming experience under a collection of Linux distributions.

Games' servers have zero graphics/audio/keyboard/mouse/joystick input/output features. They receive packets, do some calculations in 3D space (without rendering anything) and send the result back. For that glibc alone is probably enough. I last dabble with this topic in the late 90s, ran my own Quake 2 OSP server and I remember it had nearly zero dependencies.
                    I wan't talking about the server software. The official game clients for Apex and CS2 work perfectly under Proton/Linux respectively, if you want to play on official/vanilla thirdparty servers. With CS2 you can't connect to Faceit servers, because the thirdparty Faceit client-side anticheat is windows-only, but both EAC and VAC work fine under Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                      - His comments would still be visible to spectators, which may not be aware he is a troll.
                      - He would get a chance to post misinformation, which boosts the urge to respond and disprove his post.
                      This forum seriously need some moderation and rules. I like open discussion and having fun with people, but if it gets too wild, then something need to happen. Maybe Michael should make some of the trusted users a moderator? Or one to see if this works out.

Comment

Working...
                      X