Steam On Linux Use Increases - Moves Closer To 2%, AMD CPU Linux Use Hits 72%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
    Same here. Don't even remember it minimized games that way.
    Makes no sense, but then again we are talking about Windows.
    Yes, to my knowledge, and for some games it causes problems. But maybe this is old history I am talking about. My point is, that Windows (by default) does not have multiple virtual desktops and Alt+Tab is just changing focus to a different window. You can Alt+Tab to other windows even when not in fullscreen mode. Now if its fullscreen mode app, switching to a normal window, what do you think gonna happen on a single desktop? So it minimizes it. I'm sure there are all kinds of nuances and edge cases. I even read some games can crash this way... either it's the fault of the game not reacting to minimizing a fullscreen app (lol) or who knows what.

If any Windows user is under who knows this, please explain if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

I thought this topic was solely about gamers. Speaking of artists: Windows is unmatched in terms of audio/photo/video authoring, editing and production. Linux is nowhere near to Windows.
      And yes, some applications, e.g. Blender run better under Linux because Windows has been lagging in terms of fully utilizing all CPU cores simultaneously. Linux on the other hand has always been a server OS, so it would be crazy if Linux didn't scale to all cores properly.

The funniest part is Avis contradicting himself, the saddest part is that he is still wrong why applications like Blender run better on LInux (it doesn't even make sense in the slightest, the performance difference is bigger the less cores there are). Let's also forget about the fact Windows offers a server OS themselves and have been using the NT kernel on both since Windows 2000.

Also yeah "few" artists use Linux for video production, you know only small ones like Disney Pixar, Dreamworks or Digital Domain (you know the company behind the VFX of small time hits like Titanic, The Avengers, Transformers, etc etc, movies no one ever heard about).
      Which is the entire reason software like Maya and Houdini (actual Hollywood used software) have Linux ports, but hey Adobe isn't porting their software so clearly Linux can't be used for any "real" movies (and mind you, Windows never was king there, SGI Irix was which was a Unix system hence the shift to Linux).

You know I thought this topic was about Steam's Linux usage. Yet here we are again with Avis in Wonderland.

Comment

Originally posted by avis
        Sadly I see your reply despite having you on my BL. You again carefully choose facts to fit your agenda, you'd be a great politician for sure.
        Lol so you can't even set up your BL properly?
        Also nice projecting.

Now, the NT kernel has never been tuned for massively multicore PCs, Linux and UNIX kernels have been. I've not been wrong. On supercomputers Windows hasn't been seen in a decade if not more. I'm not even sure Windows has ever run them. In multithreaded tests Linux has been beating Windows for a decade if not more because the NT kernel has a higher MT overheard. Linux is basic as fuck, there's no concept of foreground/background tasks altogether, task security and scheduling are probably simpler as well, the Linux kernel has no clue about BIG-little cores that Intel uses in ADL/RPL/MTL, nor it knows how to properly schedule tasks on AMD CPUs with different caches (3D or not). Sometimes simplicity works best.
        Oh who is the politician now, still doesn't mean that is where the performance difference comes in for Blender as you claim, love how you even ignored the link where it shows that the less cores there are the bigger the difference in performance between the two. You would expect the opposite if the performance came from the optimization of Multicore processing then again that would require sound reasoning and thinking,

Also foreground and background tasks do exist in LInux, you are once again making stuff up, as always. Can't be bothered to look up about big-little cores or the AMD caches (but since Linux wins benchmarks vs Windows on the newest Intel and AMD X3D CPUs I doubt it), how about you actually prove it instead of just spouting nonsense? Would be a nice change of pace, you actually providing links and evidence to your claims.

Ah, video production, you've seen the entire pipeline, really? Or you're talking about individual applications and studios using Linux mainly for server farms for offline rendering and have we really been discussing desktop Operating Systems here? Or not? Isn't this a topic about gaming on PC? No?
        .... you brought it up. Like what. Also no, if you bothered to actually look into the link you would know that SGI Irix were workstations, like they actually worked on it and now they switched to Linux for their workstations (wait you do know what workstations are? Can never be to sure with you). This isn't even a topic about "gaming on PC" but a topic on how Linux usage has increased in the Steam stats.

And God forbid you've completely overlooked this crucial part of my message, again, you're good with the agenda, as you've not addressed these lineups almost completely missing on Linux: Corel, Adobe, Sony, AutoDesk (Maya is there but it was developed by a different company first), etc.
        Ah yes "the agenda", says the guy coming to a Linux forum to spout nonsense about how superior Windows is XD Seriously though, why are you here? Did you get banned everywhere else? Irrelevant btw, its like saying Windows isn't suitable for music production because Apple Logic Pro and Garageband aren't on Windows. Massive players in the industry use Linux, isn't that proof enough?

How about when software does run on both Windows and Linux, Linux wins in terms of performance on the same hardware, you even admit this for Blender but it is also true for Maya and Houdini which are pretty massive tools in the VFX industry. The more important question becomes why aren't Corel, Adobe,Sony and AutoDesk (you mean CAD? weird to include for video editing but okay) ported to Linux yet, if some of their competitors have and the Linux performance tends to be better why didn't they (my money is on the DRM of the software).

Be more precise in your allegations against me. Be extra precise. I've not BSed anyone here and I did not try to fine tune facts to show how Linux sucks as a gaming OS. They are all well-known you've not addressed a singled one. Tried to refute me from a totally irrelevant angle. Didn't quite work out if at all.
        You absolutely have, continuously. Want me to just point the ones out in this post/thread alone (aside from all of the above)? Really easy:

• Support for many modern HW and SW features such as HDR, VRR, DLSS, FSR, XeSS, etc.?
        ​DLSS works on Linux , so does FSR (even possible to force on Directx games with DXVK), like 0 contest it works.
        HDR and VRR work in some regard but look at that I had to link 4 times to disprove 1 of your sentences it is insane how hard Brandolini's law is in effect here.
        And what I link isn't exactly hard to find in the deepest obscure back pages of Bing, its the first result when typing "<keyword> linux".
        Now HDR and VRR do have some caveats but that is not what you are implying, you quite literally said "At the same time, what Linux doesn't offer", clearly implying that Linux doesn't have it at all. And the first two mentioned have worked for a while, so you either lied in that post or really didn't do any research whatsoever and still lied by making said claims up.

[*]Kernel level anticheats (you can hate them all you want but games using them have an order of magnitude fewer cheaters)
        Again untrue, aside from the fact that Battleye and Easyanticheat have native Linux implementations, they also work through proton (my god the magic of "kernel anticheat linux" in any search engine is truly unfathomable). Even the recent Helldivers 2 works on Linux despite using a kernel level anticheat.

And I would bother with debunking the rest, but again Brandolini's law (Phoronix isn't a fan of link heavy posts, keeping them unapproved for sometimes days) and the fact some of it is just blatantly untrue without even an ounce of backing, like "Linux doesn't offer Stability" or "Rich APIs", care to elaborate on those? An example maybe where or how this is the case? Because it seems that Microsoft made this little thing called "WSL" (now virtualized in 2.0 as translation layers are apparently very hard) in order to get access to this "lack" of "Rich API".

Edit: if I got a nickle for every time Avis his post got deleted when I was typing a reply, I would have 2 nickles. Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice. Right?
        Last edited by tenchrio; 02 April 2024, 08:04 PM.

Comment

If Windows 11 is "spyware", sure there must be thousands if not millions of cases of Windows being used for espionage and siphoning data off. Where can I read about them? Nothing?
          The by default highly questionable set options concerning privacy and data protection in Windows 10 brought me to the idea to develop this program. Microsoft generously enables everybody to change the concerning settings, but hides them in countless menus, where a normal user does not want to search for! The program should therefore be a help, to display the available settings relatively clearly and to set the desired options if necessary. The primary focus is on settings for Windows 10/11 and its apps (for example the new browser "Edge"). The program will be expanded gradually, if possible and available, with the corresponding Windows 8.1 features in the future. W10Privacy is certainly no programming masterpiece, but it fulfills my intended purpose. The software is still in an early development phase, requests are welcome and may be included in future releases!

Learn how to disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry and improve your system's performance.

Do you want to stop Windows 10 from collecting your data? Microsoft’s telemetry feature is designed to collect data from your computer to improve their user experience. But if you’re not comfortable with that, then you can easily disable telemetry in Windows 10. In this article, we will show you how to do just that. Di

With the freeware O&O ShutUp10++, unwanted Windows 10 and 11 features can be disabled and the transfer of sensitive personal data onto Microsoft prevented.

Clario ⭐ Do you want to stop Windows from spying on you? ✅ Read our article to disable Microsoft spying

Avis is a clear liar people did give him links and PDFs to read and did even show him applications where you can turn off and on the spy features.

and keep in mind all these tools and tutorials and guides can not stop the microsoft espionage completely they always only do minimize the data collection.
          Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by rrveex View Post
            This just made me think avis is not a windows fanboy but actually a very clever troll. When I look at it like this, it gets really funny. Post some absurdity like "Rich APIs" or "Linux doesn't offer stability", grab a beer, have fun watching the not-so-clever linux-fanboys getting angry
            isn't it astonishing that all the features he name HDR, VRR, DLSS, FSR, XeSS, etc run or work on linux or are under heavy development to make it work.

the valve steam deck already utilize HDR and VRR and FSR...

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
              Nop. I just like it. And since you can publish a news every month how the stats are on Steam, I can add my complementary commentary.
              Since it saddens you so much, maybe I can console you with the fact that Xbox is performing poorly and PS5 has twice as many sold . Satisfied? This time I was paid by Sony.​
              its pretty clear they do wrong on you because for my person i can say your post was informative.
              its unpleasant for linux desktop/laptop people of course but its plain and simple the truth.
              the so called grow in marketshare is nearly all the valve steam deck in this point you are right.

but you also need to agree that the valve steam userbase grow every month and every year this means 1% today is much more than 1% 10 years ago.

Comment

Linux features neither better privacy, nor better security. I'd say it features different privacy and security but not better..
                to even install and use windows 11 microsoft officially demand from you to create a Microsoft account with real name and real address and real email address and real mobile phone number.

and then they use all the data collected from you to give the data to spy agencies and they do it to fullfill the law in the countries
                on linux you can use a fake nickname and you do not need to put in your email address or your phone number you do not need a microsoft account and you do not need to type in your real postal address.​

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

to even install and use windows 11 microsoft officially demand from you to create a Microsoft account with real name and real address and real email address and real mobile phone number.

and then they use all the data collected from you to give the data to spy agencies and they do it to fullfill the law in the countries
                  on linux you can use a fake nickname and you do not need to put in your email address or your phone number you do not need a microsoft account and you do not need to type in your real postal address.​
                  Better than on Linux.

Spy and hackers agency introduce their own bacdoors to linux and open source (intentional bugs) and connect to whoever they want and download what data they want.

That's why in companies Linux servers are never directly visible on the Internet, but work behind gateways. Otherwise anyone could get into Linux through vulnerabilities.

Everyone knows this except Linux users. Some believe in god. Others in the fact that linux has no backdoors.

Comment

The arguments of some people is head scratching. Linux has better privacy and security than Windows, everyone knows this except Windows users. Some believe in the devil. Others in the fact that Windows is better than Linux because it's closed source (I couldn't write this with a straight face ).

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post
                      The arguments of some people is head scratching. Linux has better privacy and security than Windows, everyone knows this except Windows users. Some believe in the devil. Others in the fact that Windows is better than Linux because it's closed source (I couldn't write this with a straight face ).
                      LOL

Look at companies, corporations whose data is worth a lot of money.

Application or database servers running on Linux are hidden behind VPNs, firewalls, gateways. No one has the right to access them directly. Always through a gateway. There is no trust in Linux.

No one knows who is behind the patches. Not sure if they are introducing intenational 'bugs'. You don't know if some 'security researchers' who are running the patches aren't paid by Russia, China or other groups.

For that, the whole company, all users, legal departments, accounting departments, managers, CEO work on Windows. And this system is directly exposed to the Internet. That's because there is a lot of trust in Microsoft. The security of users and their data is aligned with the interests of this company.

Comment

Working...
                      X