Steam On Linux Use Increases - Moves Closer To 2%, AMD CPU Linux Use Hits 72%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by byteabit View Post
    BTW, this is amazing on Linux. While I don't Alt-Tab, but switch my virtual desktop with keybindings (Meta-1, Meta-2, etc). From the games perspective I don't minimize it and it stays fullscreen.
    I had to read this a couple of times because that sounds like the default expected behavior of applications on a PC, no?

Are there really games that use global short cuts as old at Alt+Tab for in-game mechanics?
    I am mostly playing on consoles this days (if at all), but can't remember any game on PC doing that.
    Not even keyboard heavy ones like RTS titles or WoW.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
      Again, you've forgotten your ace card which is so ridiculously popular among Linux fans, "It works for me".
      Could you please *stop*? Have some respect and actually leave if you don't enjoy being here (as you've mentioned countless times in many other threads).
      At this point it appears that you intentionally come back to wreak havoc and have a good laugh, but it's getting OLD. We want peace.

These are major titles with hundreds of thousands of players. Indeed you're right, the average Joe will install Linux, see how utterly shite it is, and will go back to Windows in an instant.
      Average Joe then sees how garbage Windows 11 is, and reconsiders Linux.

Also what? You think Average Joe is guaranteed to be a gamer? You've forgotten about office users, artists and yeah.

And there is a TON more: https://levvvel.com/games-with-kerne...heat-software/

Linux is not a gaming platform, it's not even an OS per se. Android could be.
      Linux is a kernel, but is one component of an operating system.
      Have you seen the Steam Deck yet? It plays games, and it runs Linux.
      Last edited by tildearrow; 02 April 2024, 02:42 PM.

Comment

As I explained, no, Distrowatch does not list the most *used* distributions. It lists the most clicked pages on the website. A huge difference. When I visit Distrowatch, I never click the page for the distro I am using currently. Don't make the mistake to take the statistics on Distrowatch as the same as "used distribution".
        ok tell me what are the most used linux distributions ???
        And your sources ?

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
          Are there really games that use global short cuts as old at Alt+Tab for in-game mechanics?
          The shortcuts I am using are unknown by the games, as they are set by the window manager, basically global shortcuts. The games do not use these global shortcuts, it's the window manager. I thought you was referring to Alt+Tab known from Windows, where doing this would minimize games. It's a long time since I used Windows, maybe this has changed. What I was talking about are virtual desktops. The game does not know there are other virtual desktops I switch to, where I do my Firefox thing and switch back to the game. From the games perspective I didn't use any shortcuts and never left the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronos View Post

And your sources ?
            Wasn't I clear enough explaining it multiple times, and giving source too? https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...51#post1454351

First, we don't know what the most used Linux distributions are, because we don't collect those data. There are a few statistics, but none are reliable for general usage. As you were talking about Linux Gaming and Steam specifically, I brought up the Steam survey results, which contain real statistics that has meaning. And MX Linux is not in the list of most used distributions within context of Steam. Other than that, we have no way of telling or knowing.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronos View Post

And your sources ?
              WE DON'T KNOW. NO ONE DOES. UNDERSTOOD? Sources? There are "universally reliable" ones.

Comment

OK, another one on block. I don't have time for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronos

so why do you say distrowatch is wrong when you have nothing better ???!!!!!

Distrowatch is not wrong.

And you are sooooooo uselesss !!!!
                  I'm pleased that I am of no use for you. It would definitely irk me to provide anything useful for you.

Originally posted by Phoronos
                  You are not reliable !!!

Understood ???
                  You are an idiot. Plain and simple. Or schizophrenic. YOU stated
                  MX linux and MINT are the most used distributions in distrowatch.
                  and I told them what their website says
                  They correlate neither to usage nor to quality and should not be used to measure the market share of distributions.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Could you please *stop*? Have some respect and actually leave if you don't enjoy being here (as you've mentioned countless times in many other threads).
                    At this point it appears that you intentionally come back to wreak havoc and have a good laugh, but it's getting OLD. We want peace.
                    Why do you tell me to stop pointing at anecdotal evidence being anecdotal, i.e. not being evidence at all? Maybe your esteemed Linux lovers could stop using it once and for all, please? It got old decades ago, yet here we are in 2024, and every second message continues to be "Linux works for my narrow collection of games from 2010, why don't people use Windows?" Doesn't it look slightly, you know, preposterous to you, no? I'm not here to stir up a commotion, I'm bloody tired of people not using logic.

Not a single one ever says, "Linux is fine for my special use case and I like it for it". Instead we continue to have this nonsense: "Linux is great and everyone should be using it! They are idiots for using Windows which is full of spyware!" which is also egregious lies. So, not only we have false arguments here, we have elitism, insults and lies. In three different topics over the past week I've asked people to demonstrate cases of Windows spying on users or leaking their data. 2 billion users. Millions of organization. Countries who are US enemies. Not a single case has been provided. So much for purported "spying".

You will not bat an eye for people here lying about Windows non-stop but you will surely tell me to STFU for exposing lies. Cringe.

You could tell your fellow Linux fans to be a little bit more humble and honest, first. Thanks.

Average Joe then, sees how garbage Windows 11 is, and reconsiders Linux.
                    Close to 2 billion average people use Windows 10/11 daily. Not 30-40 million or so IT pros/geeks using Linux. I've not people seen leaving it for MacOS or Linux in droves or actively looking for alternatives. Nope, people are quite content. On the other hand many of my friends have quit using Linux because they got fed up with all the regressions and bugs. QA/QC is an alien concept to Linux.

Also what? You think Average Joe is guaranteed to be a gamer? You:ve forgotten about office users, artists and yeah.
                    I thought this topic was solely about gamers. Speaking of artists: Windows is unmatched in terms of audio/photo/video authoring, editing and production. Linux is nowhere near to Windows. Maybe a honorary third place after MacOS. Entire video/graphics suits are missing on Linux: Corel, Adobe, Sony, AutoDesk, etc.

Linux is a kernel, but is one component of an operating system.
                    Have you seen the Steam Deck yet? It plays games, and it runs Linux.
                    SteamDeck doesn't run the same games I outlined earlier that normal Linux distors don't. SteamDeck changes exactly nothing in terms of Linux gaming. Yeah, it has a curated list of compatible games. It's still a handheld for mostly casual gaming.
                    Last edited by avis; 02 April 2024, 01:51 PM.

Comment

The shortcuts I am using are unknown by the games, as they are set by the window manager, basically global shortcuts. The games do not use these global shortcuts, it's the window manager.
                      Right. I might have phrased that badly because this is what I meant with "expected behavior".

You and the poster before you seemed to say that this was somehow extraordinary and I was thinking "why on Earth would such essential short cuts not work"

I think the only program I've ever used which would somehow grab those is virtual box and I believe even that can be configured.
                      So I was wondering if I just hadn't encountered any game yet that would also do this.

I thought you was referring to Alt+Tab known from Windows, where doing this would minimize games.
                      It does?

It's a long time since I used Windows, maybe this has changed.
                      Same here. Don't even remember it minimized games that way.
                      Makes no sense, but then again we are talking about Windows.

What I was talking about are virtual desktops. The game does not know there are other virtual desktops I switch to, where I do my Firefox thing and switch back to the game. From the games perspective I didn't use any shortcuts and never left the game.
                      Same here, whether it is a game or not. Incredibly useful!

In my case the full screen app is usually Citrix (actually spanning two screens).

Even works nicely when switching activities in KDE.

Comment

Working...
                      X