Steam On Linux Use Increases - Moves Closer To 2%, AMD CPU Linux Use Hits 72%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rcurious View Post

I don't think average Joe care about these things. Average Joe browse web, gmail, play videos, music and office software. And game. If every computer was sold with KDE linux, wine, graphics drivers installed and intuitive set up for games - that's enough. Linux must be with beautiful GUI and easy, intuitive to maintain.
    And game, right, people expect their games "to just work" (tm), whereas in Linux it's often fucking around trying to find out why your game is not working.

You see, if Proton/DXVK/Wine offered full support of 99.9% of windows games, the average Joe wouldn't care, correct. We are nowhere near this number.

Again, you've forgotten your ace card which is so ridiculously popular among Linux fans, "It works for me".

What if I want to play Apex Legends? Valorant? CS2 FaceIt? America's Army 3? Multiple Battlefield/Call of Duty/Assassin Creed titles? I cannot under Linux.

These are major titles with hundreds of thousands of players. Indeed you're right, the average Joe will install Linux, see how utterly shite it is, and will go back to Windows in an instant.

And there is a TON more: https://levvvel.com/games-with-kerne...heat-software/

Linux is not a gaming platform, it's not even an OS per se. Android could be.
    Last edited by avis; 02 April 2024, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post
      I don't think the argument to protect user privacy by not collecting information makes sense on such a platform.
      Aren't they already recording how many hours you've spent playing which game?

This is already much more private data then which OS you've been using at that time.

Most hardware is not unique enough either as long as they don't query and record unique identifiers.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

And game, right, people expect their games "to just work" (tm), whereas in Linux it's often fucking around trying to find out why your game is not working.

You see, if Proton/DXVK/Wine offered full support of 99.9% of windows games, the average Joe wouldn't care, correct. We are nowhere near this number.

Again, you've forgotten your ace card which is so ridiculously popular among Linux fans, "It works for me".

What if I want to play Apex Legends? Valorant? CS2 FaceIt? America's Army 3? Multiple Battlefield/Call of Duty/Assassin Creed titles? I cannot under Linux.

These are major titles with hundreds of thousands of players. Indeed you're right, the average Joe will install Linux, see how utterly shite it is, and will go back to Windows in an instant.

And there is a TON more: https://levvvel.com/games-with-kerne...heat-software/

Linux is not a gaming platform, it's not even an OS per se. Android could be.
        Apex and the official servers for CS2 work under Linux/Proton, and with Valve forcing third party matchmaking services to use 64 tick servers, they will probably be less relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
          Aren't they already recording how many hours you've spent playing which game?
          Yes, that's because it's associated with your account and the service you are using. Your personal hardware is not associated with your account or the service. Recording how long you play a game is important, because you can get your money back before 2 hours playtime in example. I don't know what data Steam collects, at least its not all data. My original argument was not about what data is more private that the other, but rather that hardware (and software such as os and driver) information is not necessary for using Steam and therefore Steam does not collect it. We should celebrate that Steam does it this way (I'm not sarcastic) over how other companies handle it; even the survey is anonymized.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

I wasn't ready back then, it's not ready now. Back then we had 3DO which released natives games which worked. Nowadays you have to deal with layers of compatibility which are not guaranteed to work.

If Windows 11 is "spyware", sure there must be thousands if not millions of cases of Windows being used for espionage and siphoning data off. Where can I read about them? Nothing? 2 billion users and no documented cases? You, see, you are parroting a ridiculous myth of your own making thinking other people are equally obsessed with it. They are not. Windows continues to be miles better than Linux.

Linux offers near zero benefits over Windows other than better "privacy" (lies, Linux users can be tracked a lot easier) and better "security" (lies, just check the front page of this website).

At the same time, what Linux doesn't offer:
            • Long term backward and forward compatibility
            • Stability
            • Rich APIs
            • Support for many modern HW and SW features such as HDR, VRR, DLSS, FSR, XeSS, etc.
            • Very poor graphics features (check AMD/NVIDIA graphics control panels)
            • Very poor/incomplete HW monitoring
            • Kernel level anticheats (you can hate them all you want but games using them have an order of magnitude fewer cheaters)
            • Powerful tools for overclocking and undervolting (Linux has some but they are extremely basic and limited)
            • DCI-P3 monitors support - I now have two such devices and both work horribly under Linux, both Xorg and Wayland
            Why would the average Joe abandon perfectly working Windows and start using Linux?
            This just made me think avis is not a windows fanboy but actually a very clever troll. When I look at it like this, it gets really funny. Post some absurdity like "Rich APIs" or "Linux doesn't offer stability", grab a beer, have fun watching the not-so-clever linux-fanboys getting angry

Comment

Originally posted by airminer View Post

Apex and the official servers for CS2 work under Linux/Proton, and with Valve forcing third party matchmaking services to use 64 tick servers, they will probably be less relevant.
              How's your comment have any relevance to this discussion? Game servers may run under freebsd or even MS-DOS for all I know. We are discussing end user's gaming experience under a collection of Linux distributions.

Games' servers have zero graphics/audio/keyboard/mouse/joystick input/output features. They receive packets, do some calculations in 3D space (without rendering anything) and send the result back. For that glibc alone is probably enough. I last dabble with this topic in the late 90s, ran my own Quake 2 OSP server and I remember it had nearly zero dependencies.

Comment

Originally posted by rrveex View Post

This just made me think avis is not a windows fanboy but actually a very clever troll. When I look at it like this, it gets really funny. Post some absurdity like "Rich APIs" or "Linux doesn't offer stability", grab a beer, have fun watching the not-so-clever linux-fanboys getting angry
                Your post is full of ad hominem and has zero counter arguments. A typical response from a devoted Linux fan. It's great that you don't stand out among many others but it's sad you're not so different.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
                  It is traditional to check how many Linux desktop/laptop:

AMD AMD Custom GPU 0405 - 34.39%.
                  Linux - 1.94%

1.94 * (1 - 0.344) = 1.272%

I must say that nicely now linux dektop/laptop has grown.

In another 10 years maybe it will be 3%. Or maybe not.
                  This was your comment from February:

Let's look at the share of Linux dektops/laptops:

Linux - 1.76
                  AMD 0405 in Linux - 0.35

1.76 * (1-0.35) = 1.135%

Not bad for a system that has everything better than the competition and is in addition free and present on steam for 10 years ​​
                  Does Microsoft pay you for doing this every month? I hope you aren't doing it for free.

Comment

Originally posted by rrveex View Post
                    When I look at it like this, it gets really funny. Post some absurdity like "Rich APIs" or "Linux doesn't offer stability
                    No idea whats going on there, but under "Linux doesn't offer" are also "Very poor graphics features", which means Linux doesn't offer poor graphics features. In all seriousness, I don't care. I was first making a reply, but then deleted it. In example he says Linux offers near zero benefits over Windows, which is untrue. But it might be true for "him". Besides privacy and better security, I think customization is also important. Linux usually works better on old or hardware too. I mean, who am I explaining the benefits of Linux over Windows; we are on Phoronix. You guys know. (Why the hell do I sound like being sarcastic all the time, if I'm not???)

I wouldn't be shocked if some games or applications run better on Linux than on Windows. I've read about stories and posts like these before, but have nothing at my hand right now.

Comment

Originally posted by airminer View Post

The second line in the GPU chart is also the Steam Deck. Van Gogh is the custom APU's codename. I think newer Mesa versions report the second line.

AMD AMD Custom GPU 0405 - 34.39%.
                      AMD Radeon Graphics (RADV VANGOGH) - 9.93%
                      Linux - 1.94%

1.94% * (1 - 0.3439 - 0.0993 ) = 1.08%
                      Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X