Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Marketshare Surges To Nearly 2% In November

Phoronix: Steam Linux Marketshare Surges To Nearly 2% In November

Steam on Linux enjoyed a various nice boost in popularity during the course of November at least as it concerns Valve's Steam Survey...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

1.91% including 43% is Steam Deck.

1.91 *(1-0.43) = 1.088

So, 1.088% is Linux desktop, laptop etc. An impressive achievement after 10 years of presence on Steam and a supposedly better system.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
      1.91% including 43% is Steam Deck.

1.91 *(1-0.43) = 1.088

So, 1.088% is Linux desktop, laptop etc. An impressive achievement after 10 years of presence on Steam and a supposedly better system.
      Wow, you definitely failed your statistics class. 2% is actually fairly impressive, yes. It's roughly 2.4 million people actively using steam on Linux every month.

Comment

It seems winboy can't stand Linux wipes the floor with his toy OS when comes to performance and security. He forgot miserable macOS, but I don't expect too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

Wow, you definitely failed your statistics class. 2% is actually fairly impressive, yes. It's roughly 2.4 million people actively using steam on Linux every month.
          If you use the words 'fairly impressive' for 2.4 million, what would you use for 115 million?

2.4 is very little. If all Linux users bought the AAA game, the sales result would be considered a complete failure.

2% of the market after 10 years is a poor result, not an impressive one.​

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
            It seems winboy can't stand Linux wipes the floor with his toy OS when comes to performance and security. He forgot miserable macOS, but I don't expect too much.
            It just amazes me how the best desktop system (the most trouble-free, with the best software, the fastest and safest, plus you can have it for FREE) that is Linux has such a hard time in the desktop market and is so slow to conquer it. Because from what I remember it used to have 2% on Steam, but it fell.

My theory is that Linux is shining so strong that people are going blind at the sight of it.​

Comment

Something wrong either with Steam survey or chinese market. They should fix these fluctuations.

Comment

This is good news. The question is if Valve can keep it up. The investment into Linux as a gaming platform must have been expensive. Do these figures and the projections justify the continued investment?

Comment

This is likely mostly the Steam Deck effect, however, there are natural reasons why it is better to choose Linux for gaming.

Computer Base recently ran some tests and found that Linux is faster (just barely) than Windows for gaming.

Linux-Gaming: Testergebnisse und Fazit / Spieleauswahl und Grafikeinstellungen / Benchmarks: Dreimal Linux, einmal Windows / Fazit

Comment

Oh, so we're actually believing the data this time. I guess it's only "questionable" when the number goes down.

Comment

Working...
                    X