Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam Linux Marketshare Surges To Nearly 2% In November

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    I recently got into a discussion showing that amazon and newegg sell numbers of rtx 4070ti and 4080 are pretty shitty compared to rtx 7800xt and 7900 xtx and they basically said my real numbers (sell ranking) must be a lie or something, this companies must apparently release fake numbers because the holy grail of reliable numbers valve Survey show higher numbers of this cards...

    As if this numbers would be reliable and not have extreme fluctuations that are not explainable by real market share.

    And now I just see -4,8% with the rtx 3060 even they are the most succesful sold card from nvidia on newegg and amazon... sure.

    And why do they list cards with 0,15% market share but then have a 10% other category? The 7800xt is pretty succesful not even listed, apparently amazon lied and they sold 0 of those not very many as they claim.

    What a garbage survey.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by bachchain View Post
      Oh, so we're actually believing the data this time. I guess it's only "questionable" when the number goes down.
      Please do not create mayhem with loaded questions disguised as statements. Reasonable numbers are reasonable.

      Had the numbers gone up to say 10%, nobody would believe that either. But it is well known and established that Linux has 2-3% of the desktop market as a whole. When the numbers go down and display a grand total of .45%, yes, when the number goes down that far it will not be reasonable.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

        It just amazes me how the best desktop system (the most trouble-free, with the best software, the fastest and safest, plus you can have it for FREE) that is Linux has such a hard time in the desktop market and is so slow to conquer it. Because from what I remember it used to have 2% on Steam, but it fell.

        My theory is that Linux is shining so strong that people are going blind at the sight of it.​
        Since exactly when have popularity been a metric of the quality of a product?

        Comment


        • #14
          The reason desktop Linux is only 1 percent is simple:
          It’s divided into way too many distros with heterogeneous ways of installing softwares, often needing way too much technical knowledge for the average joe. Especially for commercial software install where it’s way too obscure.

          edit:
          For those explaining me how easy it is to install a Steam game, I am taking bout installing commercial software that are not games.
          And yes many people drop Linux because installing VLC or Hogwarts Legacy is doable in 2 clicks, installing a non game commercial software is not!
          Support is often limited to a few distro. They often have to be rhel based etc etc. Each company provides a different install script or not.
          Nothing is simple enough for becoming popular.

          Also, the fragmentation issues is very well proved by the SteamOS success.
          -Steam Deck hardware with ONE OS easy to target for devs: 1 percent share in no time!
          -Desktop Linux and its hundreds of various distros: 1percent share in 20+ years of presence
          Last edited by rmfx; 04 December 2023, 05:37 PM.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
            I recently got into a discussion showing that amazon and newegg sell numbers of rtx 4070ti and 4080 are pretty shitty compared to rtx 7800xt and 7900 xtx and they basically said my real numbers (sell ranking) must be a lie or something, this companies must apparently release fake numbers because the holy grail of reliable numbers valve Survey show higher numbers of this cards...

            As if this numbers would be reliable and not have extreme fluctuations that are not explainable by real market share.

            And now I just see -4,8% with the rtx 3060 even they are the most succesful sold card from nvidia on newegg and amazon... sure.

            And why do they list cards with 0,15% market share but then have a 10% other category? The 7800xt is pretty succesful not even listed, apparently amazon lied and they sold 0 of those not very many as they claim.

            What a garbage survey.
            Dude, miners buy the AMD gpus, not gamers. That is why they aren't used in gaming.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by rmfx View Post
              The reason desktop Linux is only 1 percent is simple:
              It’s divided into way too many distros with heterogeneous ways of installing softwares, often needing way too much technical knowledge for the average joe. Especially for commercial software install where it’s way too obscure.
              No, the reason is there are no PCs with it pre-installed and users are more comfortable with what comes with their laptops. Installing Linux is too technical for them. It has always been this way.

              Also, desktop Linux is far better than 1%, and the reason is that gamers tend to pick Windows at a larger percentage relatively to non gamers, since gaming works better, especially for the newest AAA and multiplayer games, on Windows.....

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

                Since exactly when have popularity been a metric of the quality of a product?
                This is often the case. E.g., the automotive market in Europe. Brands that did well with quality grew into powerhouses: VW, Mercedes or BMW. And those that had a problem with quality like Rover or Lancia have disappeared from the market or now, and have a marginal share like Fiat or Alfa Romeo.

                Behind Apple's success is also good quality and the lack of major problems with the quality of the system and ecosystem.

                Linux where it is delivered in a manufacturer-prepared form, where the user does not have root like Android, or as in embedded hardware - has been successful.

                On servers, where it has care like 24/7 intensive care and professional staff to support it has also been successful.

                On the desktop, where the ordinary user is the administrator, where there is a lot of freedom to choose everything has problems with popularity despite the fact that it can be had for free, because in this segment in my opinion Linux has lower quality than competing Windows or macOS. ​​

                Comment


                • #18
                  Valve must poll all the connected systems, until then it's fortune telling by people using pitchforks as an argument.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

                    No, the reason is there are no PCs with it pre-installed and users are more comfortable with what comes with their laptops. Installing Linux is too technical for them. It has always been this way.

                    Also, desktop Linux is far better than 1%, and the reason is that gamers tend to pick Windows at a larger percentage relatively to non gamers, since gaming works better, especially for the newest AAA and multiplayer games, on Windows.....
                    Pre installation won't solve a ton of Linux specific issues such as a penchant to break compatibility, introduce major regressions and bugs and make the system unbootable or/and unstable. Just give LKML and kernel bugzilla a visit. You could learn something.

                    In a fairy world of Linux fans, it's a superior more secure OS. In real life Linux is tragically insecure (rivals the security of Windows Vista but it's still quite better), unstable and unfit.

                    Windows is not fault free but it's a ton more reliable outside anecdotal evidence from the people who last used it a decade or two ago.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Funnily enough, this was the month that I actually got the survey... twice. Once on desktop (Flatpak) and once on Steam Deck. On the same account

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X