ASUS Details ROG Ally Specs - $699 Gaming Handheld With AMD Z1 Extreme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis View Post

Yeah, don't buy it and get a 100% refund automatically.

Linux will run on it just fine but who cares, let's hate it because ASUS doesn't want to waste a ton of money supporting a hobby OS where nothing is ever stable.
    Arguably if they had spent the time and effort Valve did on Steam Deck regardless of the OS, Ars' reviewer might've had a better end user experience than Geralt killing off villagers and guards or the camera spinning around like a drunken Vesemir after a binge. Like I said before, these PC gaming hardware companies apparently have college interns doing their software and design work because it's all bling and no substance. Good UX is about nailing that last 10% of polish and most companies never manage it. ASUS definitely missed it here.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

Imagine shilling for microshite, when you can't even legally buy Windoze in your country.
      Um, nice discussion we've got here, more people join in to support ad hominem and insults. "Microshite" has a valuation close to $2.3 billion. What have you achieved? May I get your credentials please? Or you're here anonymously to slander incredibly successful companies?

Comment

Originally posted by WorBlux View Post

*Watt for watt not true. There's an uptick, but not double.

*With all the headaches and overhead of Win11... in a form factor not sell suited to other windows software. Not a pure advantage vs an OS and interface dedicated to one task. Battery life/power management seems to be worse than the deck.

*On paper, actually driving it at 120Hz is going to eat up a lot of power. On battery you probably wont push past 60, so better resolution and a bit brighter screen. Nice to have... but not a killer feature.

*Ya, external GPU is cool, but this probably isn't your primary device, and it's not exactly a practical portable solution unless they are also releasing battery powered RTX 3060's.

Also no word about docks/cases, or part availability/repair-ability.

The z1 extreme does look like the much better value proposition,
        • Benchmarks show that it's twice as fast in absolute most benchmarks, be it CPU or GPU or both. Wait, did I ever mention performance per watt or you just pulled this argument out of thin air?
        • Linux has no overhead, right? DXVK runs for free, right? KDE Plasma is a lean nice environment, right? No!
        • So, you've run no tests yet you claim it will eat up a lot of power. Did I get it right? Also, it won't be able to run at 60Hz, right? Wrong.
        • So, while the option is there, you can as well never use it, it's still not good, right? God, what a way to turn things inside out.
        Amazing counter-arguments. All zero of them.

- Who are we?
        - Linux lovers!
        - What do we do?
        - We hate!

Comment

• Benchmarks show that it's twice as fast in absolute most benchmarks, be it CPU or GPU or both. Wait, did I ever mention performance per watt or you just pulled this argument out of thin air?
          • Linux has no overhead, right? DXVK runs for free, right? KDE Plasma is a lean nice environment, right? No!
          • So, you've run no tests yet you claim it will eat up a lot of power. Did I get it right? Also, it won't be able to run at 60Hz, right? Wrong.
          • So, while the option is there, you can as well never use it, it's still not good, right? God, what a way to turn things inside out.
          Amazing counter-arguments. All zero of them.

- Who are we?
          - Linux lovers!
          - What do we do?
          - We hate!
          little bird(ie), go away!

The linux scarecrow

Comment

Nice fucking ad hominem. Never ceases to amaze me how Michael doesn't care about this.
            Windows has been a ton more secure than Linux over the past decade. It's about the boot process (signature verification of the entire boot process - not just the kernel as in Linux, you're free to embed malware in initrd), files/image security, the kernel, anti-exploitation techniques (including HVCI), built-in very power per-app firewall, drivers isolation, etc. etc. etc.
            It's funny to read that I get paychecks from Redmond when I'm typing this comment on Fedora 38 and I've been using Linux longer (over 25 years now) than many people here have lived. It's funny to read this from the people who most likely have never filed a single bug report or written a single line of code for the OS they worship.
            If this handheld sucks so much, if you hate Windows so much, why are you even in this discussion? Move on! Only likeminded people will hear you, LOL.
            I'm that rare person here on these forums who recognizes Windows and Linux for what they are, not blindingly/stupidly/zealously loving one over another.
            you are a honest deep state player and microsoft is the axis of evil.

any sane person who does not worship Satan​ should wait for the steam deck 2 instead.

in my point of view this device is a failure it only looks good on paper because they cut out the relevant parts

games on APU need and love memory bandwidth​ and this asus device has a 128bit interface vs 256bit interface on the steamdeck.

this is a mobile device and the higher resolution compared to the steam deck kills the battery.

in less than 1-2 years this device will no longer have support compared to the steam deck who will have long time support.

microsoft windows is not designed for such a device many software will wrongfully assume​ this monitor of the asus device is a big desktop display and will render text so small you can not read it. and this will not be a exception​ it will be the rule.

lets wait 6 months and people will see that it is a flop.
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

I'm that rare person here on these forums who recognizes Windows and Linux for what they are, not blindingly/stupidly/zealously loving one over another.
              Oh, I forgot, this is birdie's new screen name after his latest banning or rage-quitting or whatever. OK birdie - you be you. Don't ever change.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
                No trackpads = dead on arrival
                I have the steam controller from day one, pretty much. Anyway I never liked it, never adapted to it. It was always too slow for me. To this the the xbox 360 controller is the best.

So no, trackpads aren't required, and lack of one doesn't mean much. This product is probably dead for other software reasons, nothing to do with hardware.

Comment

Linux will run on it just fine but who cares, let's hate it because ASUS doesn't want to waste a ton of money supporting a hobby OS where nothing is ever stable.
                  A hobby OS that runs the entire internet. If you are to cheer for Microsoft then at least try to do it correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

A hobby OS that runs the entire internet. If you are to cheer for Microsoft then at least try to do it correctly.
                    Cisco and Juniper handle most of the actual Internet. Linux just handles a lot of the endpoints. If you're going to cheer for Linux, don't use hyperbole.

Comment

Um, nice discussion we've got here, more people join in to support ad hominem and insults. "Microshite" has a valuation close to $2.3 billion. What have you achieved? May I get your credentials please? Or you're here anonymously to slander incredibly successful companies?
                      Noo, you can't insult my favorite company, it's worth 2.3 gozillion dollarinos. This doesn't change the fact, that microshite is evil and will do anything for profits, like installing backdoors and trackers into your OS, browser and even processor.

Comment

Working...
                      X