No announcement yet.

ASUS Details ROG Ally Specs - $699 Gaming Handheld With AMD Z1 Extreme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not saying linux or windows is better but I really like that I can simply press the power button on my SteamDeck any time and may even let it sleep for weeks without worrying about losing any progress because the OS did a forced reboot because of some OS update. Also the whole A/B-partition setup on the SteamDeck is a blessing. Not sure how easy it would be to fix a broken windows on the Ally without a keyboard/mouse and some dongles.

Honestly the Ally seems to me more like a laptop merged with a controller than a mobile console. Which is fine, but I like my SteamDeck mainly because it feels like a mobile console. Hence why I'm sort of confused why the SteamDeck and the Ally are compared to another. In my eyes they scratch a different itch like a normal laptop and a chromebook.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Yeah, don't buy it and get a 100% refund automatically.

Linux will run on it just fine but who cares, let's hate it because ASUS doesn't want to waste a ton of money supporting a hobby OS where nothing is ever stable.
      The hobby OS that literally runs the internet, and that Microsoft itself uses as host OS on Azure.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
        One clear advantage the Steam Deck has over the ROG Ally is that its memory is connected via a 256-bit bus, whereas the ASUS one only sports a 128-bit interface, according to Digital Foundry.

Anyhow, hopefully Valve manages to release the rather big SteamOS 3.5 update before the Ally launches, since that alone should already bring a noticeable performance improvement, thanks to the Linux 6.1 LTS kernel instead of the 5.13 one the Deck is still rocking.

Maybe I should consider writing an article with some of my tweaks on top...
        The Steam Deck has quad-channel 32-bit LPDDR5 memory. 32 * 4 = 128 bits. Where did you get that number from?

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
          • Twice as fast as SteamDeck in pretty much everything
          • Runs Windows 11 by default, i.e. no problems with emulation/translation, DRM, anticheats and everything and you can run Windows software as well
          • A much better screen - 1080p 120Hz
          • Supports an external GPU
          Note: don't buy the Z1 version, buy the Z1 extreme instead - the difference in performance is staggering, the price difference is just $100.

Here's a ton of reviews + Ars Technica's one.
          - No we already know It's very likely SLOWER below 15W, and a lot at that-
          - Linux runs every possible emulator apart from xenia, which nobody cares about because there are like 3 exclusives, anticheat is a non-issue since you'll never, ever be really competitive on a handle when it comes to online fps, go play something else
          - The screen is better for colours and contrast but 1080p on 7" is just a waste of resources and 40 fps is all you need tbh, don't be like those people who pretend to hear the difference between flac and mp3 320 while commuting in a car
          - Support *proprietary* extremely expensive external gpus, in 5 years there won't be any support for it
          - Your z1 extreme is only about 30% faster than the z1 while having 3 times the CUs, which screams that it's completely RAM bottlenecked.

This is one of those gadgets nobody will talk about anymore in 1/2 years once zen 5 comes out, and valve is well inspired to let it sit for now, the improvements are incremental (above 15W which destroys battery), not generational.

Comment

Get me that in a SFF case, keep the soldered lpddr5 for a nice classics/emu console.
            ​​​​​

Comment

Dang it ASUS!
              If this device becomes more popular than the Deck, Linux will die in consumer desktop space...

This could be a good thing or not, depending on how you see it...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Dang it ASUS!
                If this device becomes more popular than the Deck, Linux will die in consumer desktop space...

This could be a good thing or not, depending on how you see it...
                Unfortunate but I always welcome competition

Comment

Well, this one is launching in Norway, the Steam Deck isn't (no Valve hardware has ever made it here). Easy choice for anyone here in the market for a handheld PC. Valve's missing out.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post

The Steam Deck has quad-channel 32-bit LPDDR5 memory. 32 * 4 = 128 bits. Where did you get that number from?
                    You're right, just checked myself.

Like I said, during a recent Digital Foundry podcast this was mentioned, so naturally I had assumed they would know what they are talking about...

Comment

For those who dare

Comment

Working...
                      X