ASUS Details ROG Ally Specs - $699 Gaming Handheld With AMD Z1 Extreme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post

You are contradicting yourself. You regularly write in this forum that most of the Linux changes come from companies, but not enthusiastic people (you like to attack FOSS enthusiasts by this take). However, now you are writing it's "hobby" OS, which implies it's developed mostly by hobbyist and not some professionals in companies.
    maybe he assumes valve is a hobby of multibillionaire Gabe

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post

Cisco has been using Linux in high end switches and carrier-grade routers since 2015
      High end use property system IOS (eg. for telecom, provider, backbone), low end (eg. for business , consumers) using linux.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

maybe he assumes valve is a hobby of multibillionaire Gabe
        No no, you would invest time and work in your hobby, valve is his grift.
        The Steam is a console for gaming using Linux, kinda like you get scammer emails asking for investment from a Nigerian prince and not a thriving business man.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

High end use property system IOS (eg. for telecom, provider, backbone), low end (eg. for business , consumers) using linux.
          No that have not been true for several years now. Cisco switched all their high end switches and routers to IOS XR which is their reimplementation of IOS on Linux and their highest end switches (the Nexus line) runs NX-OS which is based in Wind River Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

The Steam Controller is an additional peripheral. Everyone who uses an SC also has a mouse. How many games on Steam require a mouse (or a trackpad) to be playable? No point-and-click adventures, not to many turn-based- or rt strategy games, ... hell, no Hexcells either.
            This as at least one usb port. You could just plug in your mouse to play any of those games. I don't know if it has a touchscreen (I'm seriously not impressed by the device to look it up), but if it does you could play hexcells the same way you play on your cellphone.

Comment

How is that wrong OS? Linux users are in delusion as always.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                Windows has been a ton more secure than Linux over the past decade. It's about the boot process (signature verification of the entire boot process - not just the kernel as in Linux, you're free to embed malware in initrd), files/image security, the kernel, anti-exploitation techniques (including HVCI), built-in very power per-app firewall, drivers isolation, etc. etc. etc.
                This has to be the most ridiculous thing I've read in a very long while.

Name me one company that runs internet/extranet servers on windows.

Comment

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post
                  How is that wrong OS? Linux users are in delusion as always.
                  I would rather say they make the conscious effort to accept that some games won't run, or that they have to pay attention to which peripherals they buy depending on its support, to gain the freedom of having no ads, no spying, no telemetry, to be the master of their OS, the one in charge, and not the slave who has no idea what it's doing exactly.

People scream at Asus bios blobs that do things it shouldn't do in non-transparent manners to your hardware.

Well, the same can be said of windows, genius.

Comment

Valve should consider making a Steam OS release for the Ally; that would cut into the XBox Game Pass competition, and solidify their position.

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
                      1080p is useless for this size of a display. Wasted battery and performance. I really hope Valve won't do the same for Steam Deck 2.
                      I believe Valve has been quoted saying that the next generation of Steamdeck will not be targeting a performance increase, and instead will be optimizing for battery life and other improvements. So to me, that likely means the same resolution screen, same overall performance - but improved color/brightness, reduced power consumption, larger battery, etc...

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                      Valve should consider making a Steam OS release for the Ally; that would cut into the XBox Game Pass competition, and solidify their position.
                      I believe Steam OS 3.5 is supposed to ship with a public "desktop" version for anyone to install on their PC. Presumably, at that point, a company like Asus could simply package it with the requisite drivers and customization for their handheld and ship it.

Comment

Working...
                      X