ASUS Details ROG Ally Specs - $699 Gaming Handheld With AMD Z1 Extreme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AmericanLocomotive View Post
    I believe Valve has been quoted saying that the next generation of Steamdeck will not be targeting a performance increase, and instead will be optimizing for battery life and other improvements. So to me, that likely means the same resolution screen, same overall performance - but improved color/brightness, reduced power consumption, larger battery, etc...

I believe Steam OS 3.5 is supposed to ship with a public "desktop" version for anyone to install on their PC. Presumably, at that point, a company like Asus could simply package it with the requisite drivers and customization for their handheld and ship it.
    What the two engineers from Valve said in that old interview was "the engineers downplayed any possible improvements to the Steam Deck’s power or performance in the short term", note the use of "short term". Aka they meant that just because AMD just released the RDNA3 Mobile, Valve would not jump to release a new deck with that chipset now.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post

This as at least one usb port. You could just plug in your mouse to play any of those games.
      Come on. It's supposed to be portable. Carrying an extra mouse? And where to place it when you want to play on the go?

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
        Valve should consider making a Steam OS release for the Ally; that would cut into the XBox Game Pass competition, and solidify their position.
        Why should they put extra effort into supporting a device made by an anti-consumer company that performs worse below 15W? Valve has nothing to do but keep working on their vision, which is not a quick cash-grab for shareholders sponsored by insecure Microsoft.

This will end up like the xbox vs ps2 debacle, except valve is not sony when it comes to consumers and open-source community.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

This is a gaming handheld. As long as controls work no one cares about UI. Absolute most games run in full screen mode. Steam has Big Picture mode. Microsoft has something for gaming as well (I don't remember how it's called).
          I did not say a thing about the UI (user interface). I called out the UX (user experience). There's a big effin difference. UI contributes to the UX but the User eXperience is far far more than just pretty pictures and icon arrangements on a screen. If you're read the review articles you'd know the experience on the damned thing is utter crap even though some of them glossed over the experience as if it doesn't matter. That's utter BS. It means they were being paid to talk the product up.

Comment

Apparently the control sticks are tiny and feel cheap. No novel trackpads like Steam Deck seems to be a odd move for a lot of these handhelds, not like Valve own that idea...

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
              [LIST][*]Twice as fast as SteamDeck in pretty much everything
              Apparently, the Steam Deck is faster at 10W according to LTT.

Comment

Crap handheld, obviously, according to a bunch of self-proclaimed analysts here on Phoronix. "Bad controls", "No Linux, no purchase from me", "bad UI", "sponsored by Microsoft", "abandonware in making" (the handheld hasn't even been released yet), etc. etc. etc. Here take this:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

ASUS console can run PS3, XBOX360, PSP, 3DS, WiiU and Nintendo Switch games with ease The ROG Ally is a handheld gaming device that may also act as a powerful game emulation platform. ROG Ally running PS3 God of War, Source: ETA Prime The Ryzen Z1 custom APU for ROG Ally, based on AMD Zen4 […]

It never ceases to amaze me how self-entitled Linux users are. According to them, their choices of OS or licensing model decide how successful products will be. Too bad this has never been the case and never will be the case. Actually the contrary is true, the opposite of such preferences is what the world is all about. I'm so glad I've stopped following mentions considering the amount of insults and name calling my logical and rational comments receive from Open Source zealots.
                Last edited by avis; 14 May 2023, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanLocomotive View Post
                  I believe Steam OS 3.5 is supposed to ship with a public "desktop" version for anyone to install on their PC. Presumably, at that point, a company like Asus could simply package it with the requisite drivers and customization for their handheld and ship it.
                  There is more to it than that though; there are a lot of things in SteamOS on the SteamDeck that don't make sense on a general desktop version of it, but which would make sense on the Ally. ASUS is also clearly working with Microsoft directly, so are unlikely to be the ones to distribute a well-customized SteamOS for Ally.

Comment

Originally posted by citral View Post
                    Why should they put extra effort into supporting a device made by an anti-consumer company that performs worse below 15W? Valve has nothing to do but keep working on their vision, which is not a quick cash-grab for shareholders sponsored by insecure Microsoft.

This will end up like the xbox vs ps2 debacle, except valve is not sony when it comes to consumers and open-source community.
                    It is selling very well already, and Valve loses nothing (except the costs, obviously) by having good software support for it. As for performance at 10-15W, this could very well be a software thing, and if SteamOS does a better job of it on the device, that'll mean more wins for the less-crappy platform.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

It is selling very well already, and Valve loses nothing (except the costs, obviously) by having good software support for it. As for performance at 10-15W, this could very well be a software thing, and if SteamOS does a better job of it on the device, that'll mean more wins for the less-crappy platform.
                      What tells you it's selling so well? The subreddit has literally 500 members...

Comment

Working...
                      X