No announcement yet.

Valve Announces Steam Deck As Portable SteamOS + AMD Powered Portable PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we stop with the DE wars please? Everyone already knows that KDE and Qt are better. It's used in the Steam Deck (a new portable by Valve).

Comment

• I really just assumed it was still ubuntu base, but then I read on and Steam Deck b liek, "I use arch, BTW"

Very pleasantly surprised to see they rebased on arch for this. It makes so much sense, and will ease the hardware and the desktop environment for them, least from my experience, and make it a lot more interesting for anyone who does get curious and starts playing around. I expect this will get a lot of windows kids poking around the linux ecosystem

Comment

• Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
        The Display ...
        it's ...
        no it cannot be.

but they say it's ...
        16:10.

Impossible. For gaming. Where people use 21:9 or worse. And this thing is 16:10.
        And I can't get 16:10 monitors for work.

The world is broken.

(but nice device, Valve!)
        TwT So much this. Oh how I miss my 16:10, and even games felt more open on it

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
          No reputable workstation linux distro ships KDE by default.
          openSUSE

Comment

• Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

openSUSE
            openSUSE doesn't have a default DE.

Comment

• Originally posted by gedgon View Post

openSUSE doesn't have a default DE.

KDE is the first option, even before GNOME.

Comment

• Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

KDE is the first option, even before GNOME.
                And yet, nothing is preselected.

Comment

• Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
                  Arch is rolling release which can help deal with the outdated graphics driver problems (i.e. you get kernel updates sooner)
                  it can't help. non-rolling fedora always has newest kernel drivers.

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    it can't help. non-rolling fedora always has newest kernel drivers.
                    Yes but its less supported than Arch (which is rolling by default), Arch gets more testing for its default distribution.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                      As a pessimist I must tell you, like the steam console, this will have low sales and people will just install dirty windows. If I had made this, it would've been using an ARM CPU as we all know it's the future. I appreciate Valve trying though they are beating a dead horse.
                      Gabe Newell has gone around saying that he expects it to sell millions https://www.pcgamer.com/gabe-newell-...inful-to-pick/

All I can say is that they must have gotten pre-orders for a massive amount, I wanted to preorder and the Steam site/purchase site was unresponsive the entire time due to being overloaded from demand. I am happy I managed to get one but so far the signs are the opposite, i.e. its quite successful.

Comment

Working...
                      X