Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Announces Steam Deck As Portable SteamOS + AMD Powered Portable PC

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    i'm pretty sure fedora kernels are order of magnitude more supported than arch kernels
    That sounds very convincing /s

    Comment


    • Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
      That sounds very convincing /s
      well it was your claim of arch kernel support superiority, burden of proof is on you. now it's less funny, isn't it?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        well it was your claim of arch kernel support superiority, burden of proof is on you. now it's less funny, isn't it?
        Well if you look at https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity (and also take into account distributions that use Arch as their base, i.e. Manjaro) then it is. More importantly though, a lot of KDE developers use Arch/Manjaro mainly because of how easy it is to hack on the OS with makepkg compared to creating RPM packages.

        I noticed this firsthand when my workplace "strongly" recommended Fedora (so I went along with it) and then I realized how much more ancient it is when it comes to package management (by this I mean, they have a stable repo which is often outdated and there isn't any other good resources for getting more up to date/user created packages, i.e. an equivalent to https://aur.archlinux.org/)

        Comment


        • Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
          then i'll see some random meaningless page on internet. it doesn't mean what you think it means
          Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
          More importantly though, a lot of KDE developers use Arch/Manjaro mainly because of how easy it is to hack on the OS with makepkg compared to creating RPM packages.
          but how kde devs unfamiliarity with rpm relates to fedora kernel support?
          Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
          I noticed this firsthand when my workplace "strongly" recommended Fedora (so I went along with it) and then I realized how much more ancient it is when it comes to package management (by this I mean, they have a stable repo which is often outdated and there isn't any other good resources for getting more up to date/user created packages, i.e. an equivalent to https://aur.archlinux.org/)
          if you can't find something, it can be your fault https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/
          Last edited by pal666; 25 July 2021, 09:35 PM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            but how kde devs unfamiliarity with rpm relates to fedora kernel support?
            Its much easier to develop KDE on a system that doesn't have an overcomplicated/engineered package manager like RPM.

            Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            if you can't find something, it can be your fault https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/
            This is nothing like AUR, its also much smaller. None of the packages I am interested in are there.

            If you want an idea of what AUR is like, have a look at https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/d...ss-extras-bin/. Anyone can easily make a package, and people apply diffs whenever upsream packages break or there is some other problem. You even have tools like yay https://github.com/Jguer/yay which scans the diffs for a packages and lets you review and apply them before building.
            Last edited by mdedetrich; 26 July 2021, 03:12 AM.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
              Its much easier to develop KDE on a system that doesn't have an overcomplicated/engineered package manager like RPM.
              "overcomplicated" often means "i don't understand your usecase"
              Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
              This is nothing like AUR, its also much smaller. None of the packages I am interested in are there.
              i didn't try to measure it and i can't comment on your package needs, but you started with claim that it doesn't even exist, which is demonstrably wrong
              Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
              Anyone can easily make a package
              i can't speak for anyone, but i certainly can make rpm package.
              still, how all of this relates to kernel support?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                "overcomplicated" often means "i don't understand your usecase"
                No technically speaking it is definitely more complicated than AUR, thats a fact. Have a look at how makepkg works, the installation scripts are also basic shell files

                Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                i didn't try to measure it and i can't comment on your package needs, but you started with claim that it doesn't even exist, which is demonstrably wrong
                No I said nothing like AUR exists on Fedora, and considering that it has none of the packages I am looking for then yes

                Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                i can't speak for anyone, but i certainly can make rpm package.
                Of course you can make RPM packages, its not like RPM packages don't exist. The point is that with AUR its a lot easily to hack/modify a package, there is a reason why it has such a massive repository. I mean fedoraincloud link you posted earlier, its difficult to see how the package is even built. For example in AUR, if you want to see how a package is actually built you just click on "VIEW PKGBUILD" and the builds are clearly readable/understable (i.e. see https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.g...dia-driver-git for a reference).

                Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                still, how all of this relates to kernel support?
                The point is I wouldn't be surprised why Valve picked Arch, its a much better distro for development. Its not just about the Linux kernel

                Comment

                Working...
                X