• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by re:fi.64 View Post
    Typo: ssd-bus -> sd-bus.
    What the heck how did you find it?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

What the heck how did you find it?
      The typo? I mean I've used sd-bus before so ssd-bus just stuck out I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
        Yay, support for non-systemd systems! I might try this out now.
        doesn't all this dbus stuff strike you as non-unixy poison from gnome/redhat???

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
          Do they really need a daemon? I'd much rather have a wrapper script I can use to start a game, which will clean up once it exits. If it's impossible to use it without a daemon, I hope they at least provide a systemd socket.

Daemons are just bloat, and the less of them I have, the better.
          i bet this daemon is running as root. would you run your wrapper scripts suid root?

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
            No one besides Windows Setup.exe or macOS Packages loving fanbois will ever use flatpaks. So why wasting time supporting it.
            will you ever post something intelligent?
            There is nothing wrong with dnf install <somepack> or apt-get install <somepack>.
            there is something wrong with that when you are using distro with different package manager or when you are using dnf while software vendor only provides .deb
            The commands are memorizable, works on all architectures and you get 1:1 packages,that go well with your system. And! they don't require you to install another Linux eco-system inside another Linux eco-system.
            but someone has to build and maintain thousands of distro-specific packages from every one source package for thousands of distros

Comment

I trust the package maintainers of my distro of choice for not breaking the system.
              your homework is to count number of github projects which are not packaged at all by package maintainers of your distro of choice. well, they certainly can't break anything with non-built package, i give you that

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                On top of that, it consumes your RAM.
                only if you are not using swap

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
                  It listens to a D-BUS name and AFAIK such an application cannot be socket activated.
                  but isn't dbus activation like a socket activation via dbus socket(i.e. no daemon is spawned until needed)?

Comment

I have two games from GOG which comes as *.sh files. You execute them, get a nice Gtk+ based installer. You install the game in your homedir. You get a nice icon. You play the game. Once you get sick of it you delete the gamedir and traces to it. End!
                    does it have sandboxing or you are just blindly running random code downloaded from internet under your privileges?
                    Isn't this valid for fagpacks runtimes ? As far as I know, they are not supported forever and then to change from short time to time. So what makes you believe, that we won't end up with old flatpacks that won't run anywhere anymore - besides installing 3 types of older runtimes ?
                    no, flatpack runtimes are not part of os, they are part of flatpack package, so they will stay valid forever
                    see, how moronic are all your complaints?
                    Last edited by pal666; 26 July 2019, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                      We were talking about good old rpm or deb,nnot about windows like klick&runs,bbut well.

What libraries are bundled with that game?
                      If there is a libstdc++, I wish you luck with mesa GPU drivers in one or two years.

They are not supported forever, true. But that only means you won't get security updates for an older runtime. The same as for your pile of libraries you dumped to your home folder and any other program can modify.
                      The point is : your old game with it's old buggy bundled libraries won't have write access to your $HOME in case of fagpack, as your call it. I prefer that.
                      Technically this *however* the idea with Flatpak runtimes is that they remain buildable forever so the only reason they don't get fixes ad infinitum is there's not enough people backporting security fixes.

Comment

Working...
                      X