Feral's GameMode 1.4 Adds Flatpak Support, Better I/O Optimization Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Candy View Post
    I trust the package maintainers of my distro of choice for not breaking the system.
    The issue is that distro maintainers rarely cover 100% of what I actually need.

I always need to install stuff from source or use community-packaged software, or just flat not use some software at all because there is no way of using it out of some Ubuntu LTS shitshow distro.

I'd rather have this shit end eventually as I understand that I'm part of a very small elite of power users, while most normal people EXPECT this because on Windows land it's like that (and quite frankly it's convenient).

Don't worry, your world isn't going to die either, there is no need to fight over it.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 21 July 2019, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      It's still not that much bloat. This is a tiny daemon written in C, not a python script, therefore It's not going to use hundreds of megabytes for no apparent reason.
      It's an entry in your process table. That's enough to consider it bloat by my standards. On top of that, it consumes your RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
        No one besides Windows Setup.exe or macOS Packages loving fanbois will ever use flatpaks. So why wasting time supporting it. There is nothing wrong with dnf install <somepack> or apt-get install <somepack>. The commands are memorizable, works on all architectures and you get 1:1 packages,that go well with your system. And! they don't require you to install another Linux eco-system inside another Linux eco-system.
        Flatpak is nothing like Setup.exe The closest to Setup.exe on Linux (because it's pretty much a direct copy) is ESH, followed by Bitrock's InstallBulider.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

It's an entry in your process table. That's enough to consider it bloat by my standards. On top of that, it consumes your RAM.
          Are you going to get brain surgery as well to disable any stuff in your brains you don't use? 'Cause that too is bloat.

Comment

In case you didn't understand, I'm saying your standards for "bloat" don't match with most other people's.

This daemon isn't using any significant amount of resources, and entries in process table mean shit, sleeping processes aren't using CPU time.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Are you going to get brain surgery as well to disable any stuff in your brains you don't use? 'Cause that too is bloat.
              While I see your point, you really are almost always (besides when you are asleep) using your whole brain the whole time.

Comment

Do they really need a daemon? I'd much rather have a wrapper script I can use to start a game, which will clean up once it exits. If it's impossible to use it without a daemon, I hope they at least provide a systemd socket.

Daemons are just bloat, and the less of them I have, the better.
                It listens to a D-BUS name and AFAIK such an application cannot be socket activated. The reason they went with D-BUS instead of having a wrapper script is so that they can simply reqeust the D-BUS name of the daemon when using it from inside their games instead of going hunting for a script location which would be both messy, complex and include bloat in every single game.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

It listens to a D-BUS name and AFAIK such an application cannot be socket activated. The reason they went with D-BUS instead of having a wrapper script is so that they can simply reqeust the D-BUS name of the daemon when using it from inside their games instead of going hunting for a script location which would be both messy, complex and include bloat in every single game.
                  Meh, right, I had to double-check after your post and turns out you were right and I was wrong. There's only a dbus unit type, not socket activation type and I was probably confused there and the functionality between these two is quite different. I suppose systemd might need to be capable of reserving and handing over Dbus names for that to be possible and maybe current Dbus architecture doesn't support this without possibly kernel assistance. (Dbus name handed as file descriptor to child process or something?)

Comment

Couldn't gamemoded be a socket service, so it only runs when needed?

Edit: nm someone answered it.

Comment

Do they really need a daemon? I'd much rather have a wrapper script I can use to start a game, which will clean up once it exits. If it's impossible to use it without a daemon, I hope they at least provide a systemd socket.

Daemons are just bloat, and the less of them I have, the better.
                      If something fulfills a need, it is no bloat.

Comment

Working...
                      X