Feral's GameMode 1.4 Adds Flatpak Support, Better I/O Optimization Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Candy View Post
    There is nothing wrong with dnf install <somepack> or apt-get install <somepack>. The commands are memorizable, works on all architectures and you get 1:1 packages,that go well with your system.
    The problems with the package manager approach:

- The application must be available in the distro's repos.
    - This monolithic Linux approach may cause breakage (famous "error while loading shared libraries") by merely updating a single package. Especially true for rolling distros.
    - Average Joe does not feel like " memorizing a command". Sorry.

Comment

No one besides Windows Setup.exe or macOS Packages loving fanbois will ever use flatpaks. So why wasting time supporting it. There is nothing wrong with dnf install <somepack> or apt-get install <somepack>.
      No, there is nothing wrong with those commands, but I doubt you'll find proprietary game XYZ as rpm or deb.

And if you do, it probably won't work with YourFavoriteDistribution version N+1,if it worked for version N.

Granted, you can make it usually work by copying libstdc++ and helper libs from version N, set up the correct LD_LIBRARY_PATHS and hope everything works fine, or maybe use a chroot. But then, you could also install the game via flatpak and be done.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

While I see your point, you really are almost always (besides when you are asleep) using your whole brain the whole time.
        Fair point. Let me rephrase it: "Are you going to tear down the walls of your bedroom because you're sleeping in the living room, making the bedroom added bloat?"

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
          [...]I doubt you'll find proprietary game XYZ as rpm or deb.
          I have two games from GOG which comes as *.sh files. You execute them, get a nice Gtk+ based installer. You install the game in your homedir. You get a nice icon. You play the game. Once you get sick of it you delete the gamedir and traces to it. End!

Originally posted by oleid View Post
          And if you do, it probably won't work with YourFavoriteDistribution version N+1,if it worked for version N.
          Isn't this valid for fagpacks runtimes ? As far as I know, they are not supported forever and then to change from short time to time. So what makes you believe, that we won't end up with old flatpacks that won't run anywhere anymore - besides installing 3 types of older runtimes ?

Comment

I have two games from GOG which comes as *.sh files. You execute them, get a nice Gtk+ based installer. You install the game in your homedir. You get a nice icon. You play the game. Once you get sick of it you delete the gamedir and traces to it. End!
            But then that isn't a package that can be installed by the package manager.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

But then that isn't a package that can be installed by the package manager.
              Don't let logic get in the way of a bad argument man

Comment

Isn't this valid for fagpacks runtimes ? As far as I know, they are not supported forever and then to change from short time to time. So what makes you believe, that we won't end up with old flatpacks that won't run anywhere anymore - besides installing 3 types of older runtimes ?
                If you are losing the argument, try smearing the other side with a homophobic slur! great winning strategy there...

secondly, you target a runtime. if you do not update your app for 10 years, it should still run on that old runtime.

Comment

So besides not actually installing these through your package manager, you're totally fine with executing whatever random script somebody managed to put together without a sandbox (not saying it's mandatory for Flatpaks either ofc).

Do you expect average Joe to actually ever read that script or even look up the game on PCGameWiki to find out wherever non-xdg-compliant game dev X decides to store their game files?
                  Hopefully most of these games decide to dump their non-hidden capitalized config dirs directly under $HOME so you get a nice hint as to where to look for them.
                  I wouldn't dare merely list the contents of my home directory were I not to, at the very least, firejail the shit out of every single proprietary game I own.

Comment

Typo: ssd-bus -> sd-bus.

Comment

We were talking about good old rpm or deb,nnot about windows like klick&runs,bbut well.

What libraries are bundled with that game?
                      If there is a libstdc++, I wish you luck with mesa GPU drivers in one or two years.

They are not supported forever, true. But that only means you won't get security updates for an older runtime. The same as for your pile of libraries you dumped to your home folder and any other program can modify.
                      The point is : your old game with it's old buggy bundled libraries won't have write access to your $HOME in case of fagpack, as your call it. I prefer that.

Comment

Working...
                      X