X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by re:fi.64 View Post
    I feel like a lot of people missed this part:

[QUOT​​​​E]
    Outside of RHEL, virt-manager is still being maintained.
    ​​​​​This deprecation only applies to RHEL, and in particular, it doesn't apply to Fedora, which actively supports several technologies that RHEL does not (e.g. btrfs, KDE).[/QUOTE]

Will this deprecation apply to any distributions that base themselves on RHEL code and repositories? I can think of CentOS being in that category, but are there others?

I'm asking the question because I haven't used RHEL or any of it's derivatives in a decade...and others might be wondering.

As for myself, I haven't used RHEL or any of it's derivatives in 10 years or more, and I have no plans to ever touch them again.
    Last edited by NotMine999; 27 June 2020, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

You don't need VNC to use virt-manager remotely: it has a client-server architecture so you can run your client on your laptop and connect directly to your server.
      I didn't know, thanks. I've only been using virt-manager at home, at work it's all Amazon EC2 orchestrated through Terraform.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

I didn't know, thanks. I've only been using virt-manager at home, at work it's all Amazon EC2 orchestrated through Terraform.
        I personally think virt-manager is awesome and I don't really understand why they are phasing it out for a web based interface (NOTE: I'm a full stack web developer so I don't hate web applications at all)
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

typical

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
            Oh man this is sucky news! Can one of the other distros pick it up? I love LibVirt and I used it almost daily to manage all the machines on both my home and business network. Its a really well done tool.
            as root enter the virsh console with "virsh" & then "help"

I only ever use virt-manager for the initial vm configuration - stopping & starting machines / networks or editng the vm xml config can be done with the virsh console.

Comment

This is terrible. I just installed cockpit to try it out. It cant do anything pretty much other than to start and stop a VM. You can't even specify if it starts at boot, or where to install the VM at. This is not a replacement for anything.

Comment

Last time I tried cockpit it could do about 50% of what virt-manager could do. So, who knows, maybe it does 80% now. What is needed (hint), 125%, that is, it needs to be able to do everything that virt-manager can do today, plus add things that virt-manager couldn't do. Just my own opinion.

Here's the mistake. Right now, they know it can't do everything that virt-manager does. So... at least fix that.

Comment

To see what all the fuss is about, I installed cockpit and cockpit-machines. After I start cockpit using SystemD, I then went into https:\/\/vmserver:9090 ("/" is escaped with "" to prevent browsers from turning into hyperlink), I logged in as a "kvmguests" and clicked in "Virtual Machines." For testing, I start up archlinux_desktop and clicked in "Consoles."

I then click in "Launch Remote Viewer" and found out that virt-manager needs to be installed. I installed virt-viewer and relaunched it again from the Cockpit. This time, Virt-Viewer opened up and I saw "Connecting to graphic server." I can't go anywhere from there.

Why can't my browser just open the console instead of installing a virt-viewer client? In fact, why use Cockpit while I can simply use Virt-Manager that I've been using for years?

Cockpit Virtual Machine package is half-baked. I'm going back to using virt-manager in Linux. And yes, I am using Virt-Manager in my Arch Linux desktop (BTW, as Derek Taylor from DistroTube would have me mention the three letters/words "by the way").

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    I personally think virt-manager is awesome and I don't really understand why they are phasing it out for a web based interface
                    Because, broadly-speaking, virt-manager is a GUI tool for managing VMs running on the local machine... great if you're a desktop user who wants to use VMs, not so great if you're a sysadmin responsible for managing large numbers of VMs on large numbers of hosts. Whereas a web interface like Cockpit is great for remote-managing large numbers of machines... especially when "remote" may mean "from your phone in bed because someone needs a server rebooted at 3am".

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Because, broadly-speaking, virt-manager is a GUI tool for managing VMs running on the local machine... great if you're a desktop user who wants to use VMs, not so great if you're a sysadmin responsible for managing large numbers of VMs on large numbers of hosts. Whereas a web interface like Cockpit is great for remote-managing large numbers of machines... especially when "remote" may mean "from your phone in bed because someone needs a server rebooted at 3am".
                      I use it to manage VMs on multiple different servers with no problem at all: you can connect to multiple servers simultaneously. Also I'm not saying that something like Cockpit shouldn't exist: it shouldn't just be forced down everyone's throat by deprecating virt-manager.
                      ## VGA ##
                      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                      X