RHEL Deprecating The Virt-Manager UI In Favor Of The Cockpit Web Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    Seriously? That's very annoying. I'd need to run a web server to manage VMs now instead of a normal UI??? I hope someone will still develop it. Very not smart move.
    Cockpit is self-contained and if you run it on systemd it's also socket actived.

Comment

Well I'm checking it right now in my Fedora and actually looks good. I'm using virsh instead of virt-manager, but still nice alternative. I just removed cockpit-packagekit and PackageKit itself (luckily it's weak dependency), because I really don't like PackageKit. But I must say, cockpit now is something completely different than I remember few years ago. Also is sweet that u can connect via serial console to the guest machine from cockpit. Cute.

Comment

I like cockpit a lot, but for several cases I always had to fallback to Virt-Manager. Some configurations like disk management, hardware management, glusterfs or just to view the VM output on screen without a tty are not well supported by cockpit. And the translation in cockpit got worse and worse in every release too ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
          I can understand why they want to move to WEB. Todays GUI toolkits (GTK, QT and WxWidgets) are overly complex and does not provide a simple and efficient way to create a simple standarized GUI.
          Actually it has nothing to do with GUI toolkits... it's purely that webapps are much more convenient to access remotely. This isn't a tool for someone sitting on a desktop machine who wants to run a VM — this is a tool for someone who's administering hundreds of physical and virtual machines across a network. Possibly from his phone, because someone called him up at 3am to fix something.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
            I like cockpit a lot, but for several cases I always had to fallback to Virt-Manager.
            True, also I just noticed that I can't see snapshots option for machine in Cockpit (maybe just not available yet in my version). However since there is a terminal in cockpit, you can always use virsh directly :-)

Comment

Well I downloaded it and tried it, so far it seems alright - FYI you use a native spice client to connect the to VMs

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Actually it has nothing to do with GUI toolkits... it's purely that webapps are much more convenient to access remotely. This isn't a tool for someone sitting on a desktop machine who wants to run a VM — this is a tool for someone who's administering hundreds of physical and virtual machines across a network. Possibly from his phone, because someone called him up at 3am to fix something.
                Which virt-manager already does an excellent job at. I do not agree that a webapp always is more convenient to access remotely.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                  This isn't a tool for someone sitting on a desktop machine who wants to run a VM
                  Unfortunately, the best GUI tool I've seen for that is Virtualbox. I wish qemu had a nice GUI equivalent to that.

Comment

Good move. Cockpit is by far better. No need to have a GUIserver of some sort on your VM management. With more pressure on it, it'll move on quickly. For local VM, there is gnome-boxes and if you need anything advanced, go for libvirtd directly.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

I can understand putting emphasis on Cockpit, because - with proper authentication and authorization systems in place - it's probably easier to manage remotely than using VNC or something for virt-manager.

But I don't understand deprecating virt-manager.
                      You don't need VNC to use virt-manager remotely: it has a client-server architecture so you can run your client on your laptop and connect directly to your server.
                      ## VGA ##
                      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                      X