RHEL Deprecating The Virt-Manager UI In Favor Of The Cockpit Web Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RHEL Deprecating The Virt-Manager UI In Favor Of The Cockpit Web Console

Phoronix: RHEL Deprecating The Virt-Manager UI In Favor Of The Cockpit Web Console

The upstream virt-manager project including the virt-manager user-interface is still being maintained, but Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 has decided to deprecate the virt-manager UI moving forward...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...er-Deprecation

Seriously? That's very annoying. I'd need to run a web server to manage VMs now instead of a normal UI??? I hope someone will still develop it. Very not smart move.

Comment

This is quite annoying. With the rise of COVID-19, I have been using the virt-manager ui to fire up a Windows VM to login to work. I hope fedora does not drop the virt-manager UI from it workstation spin.

Comment

virt-manager also handles LXC containers too. I don't think Cockpit does.

I tried Cockpit last year and it was weak, and continued on with virt-manager, but perhaps they have improved it.

Time to check it out (again).

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          Seriously? That's very annoying. I'd need to run a web server to manage VMs now instead of a normal UI??? I hope someone will still develop it. Very not smart move.
          I can understand putting emphasis on Cockpit, because - with proper authentication and authorization systems in place - it's probably easier to manage remotely than using VNC or something for virt-manager.

But I don't understand deprecating virt-manager.

Comment

i am afraid that long term virt-manager isnt properly maintained. i dont care much about the redhat family, but i love virt-manager as a slick vm management tool.

Comment

I understand wanting to move everything into Cockpit, but virt-manager is pretty dope.

Comment

Learn the libvirtd command line tools. They're as dope.
                will say though, loading a disk image for something obscure through a web interface definitely seems like a step backwards.

Comment

Hope the lead developer don't stop to develop it. I use it often to easly manage alot of VM's.

Comment

Oh man this is sucky news! Can one of the other distros pick it up? I love LibVirt and I used it almost daily to manage all the machines on both my home and business network. Its a really well done tool.

Comment

Working...
                    X