Fedora Linux 40 Cleared For Release Next Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

Fedora makes no changes at all for the upstream KDE software. What are you even talking about?
    You are absolutely right. My mistake sorry. I wish I could have deleted that post before your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

You are absolutely right. My mistake sorry. I wish I could have deleted that post before your reply.
      No worries. I was just curious where you got that impression from.

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

No worries. I was just curious where you got that impression from.
        LOL, I think I will be embarrassed even more to say that I forgot selecting the session type and got into GNOME again from sddm. Oh BTW, it got frozen. That might be a bug when someone logs into GNOME from sddm. After your post, I realized this and selected Plasma from sddm. It works great now.

Edit: Now I have to find how to build rpm packages of my own kernel configuration ... and using dnf instead of apt.
        Last edited by mrg666; 19 April 2024, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

LOL, I think I will be embarrassed even more to say that I forgot selecting the session type and got into GNOME again from sddm. Oh BTW, it got frozen. That might be a bug when someone logs into GNOME from sddm. After your post, I realized this and selected Plasma from sddm. It works great now.

Edit: Now I have to find how to build rpm packages of my own kernel configuration ... and using dnf instead of apt.
          Ah ok, That all makes sense. Just a silly mistake then, we have all been there! I just switch display managers when I switch desktop environments because atleast for GNOME it is tightly integrated with GDM, so never ran into any such bugs. For building the kernel, take a look here. Apt and dnf are so similar, so I doubt you have a problem there. My only recommendation is just install dnf5 and use it (dnf install dnf5) instead of the legacy version because 5 is so much faster. All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

You really still, after all those years, minimize all your applications to access that damn thing?

I personally know no one who really uses the desktop icons on windows either, non of my work colleagues do. Its just bad UX.
            I use desktop icons on Windows and Linux and BSD based OSes.

The fact that this has been the standard way of setting up a desktop for 30+ years tells you that in fact is not bad UI design but rather the most intuitive

P.S. Gnome sucks..

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

If Gnome was still like Gnome 2, I would not use it. Just use Mate if you forever want to be stuck in 90s UX paradigms.
              Yet you have no problem with sticking with 90's kernel paradigms.

Comment

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post
                What makes you think lines of code is a metric? ​
                Because even if i didn't have a computer science background and had never written a line of code I still have a functioning brain and can understand that maintaining a single line of code is much easier than a million lines of code.

Further, the whole concept of "code maintenance" is bullshit. What does it mean to "maintain code"?

Once you write it and it works as expected then that's it, it's not like a car where you change the oil every few thousand miles, I have stuff I coded in qbasic 30 years ago that still runs.

You know why?

Because "code maintenance" is bullshit, that's why.

Please, don't comment if you have nothing to say.
                Pot calling the kettle black.

It's especially funny coming from a guy that admits "I have no idea what a wallpaper is or does, sorry".

So basically you are the one with nothing to say.

This discussion is getting heated, I recommend slowing down.
                Well if you recommend it, then I guess we have no choice.

Hey everyone, this guy says things are too heated so let's take it down a notch.

If there's anything else you recommend by all means feel free to share.

Comment

Originally posted by Sustained View Post
                  Of course most non-Gnome users have a difficult time understanding the command line and thus for them these settings don't actually exist and Gnome devs are "too lazy" to implement them. But that is A-OK. To each their own.
                  They are too lazy. Gnome had that functionality for years, as did Budgie, which is based on it.

The Gnome devs decided that "maintaining" those three lines was "too much work" and so removed them and the Budgie people decided not to include that support in their fork.

If three lines of code is "too much" then you need to find a new job.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Because even if i didn't have a computer science background and had never written a line of code I still have a functioning brain and can understand that maintaining a single line of code is much easier than a million lines of code.

Further, the whole concept of "code maintenance" is bullshit. What does it mean to "maintain code"?

Once you write it and it works as expected then that's it, it's not like a car where you change the oil every few thousand miles, I have stuff I coded in qbasic 30 years ago that still runs.

You know why?

Because "code maintenance" is bullshit, that's why.

Pot calling the kettle black.

It's especially funny coming from a guy that admits "I have no idea what a wallpaper is or does, sorry".

So basically you are the one with nothing to say.

Well if you recommend it, then I guess we have no choice.

Hey everyone, this guy says things are too heated so let's take it down a notch.

If there's anything else you recommend by all means feel free to share.
                    Sorry mate this was supposed to be a joke, each of these sentence were snarky comments from Gnome devs on their issue tracker that have become memes on places like /g/ and such

One of the examples: https://wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/...ess_metric.png
                    Last edited by Estranged1906; 19 April 2024, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Sorry mate this was supposed to be a joke, each of these sentence were snarky comments from Gnome devs on their issue tracker that have become memes on places like /g/ and such
                      Damn, do I feel like an ass.

OK, you got me, funny stuff.

I am going to leave my original reply so that people can see I completely missed the sarcasm.

Comment

Working...
                      X