Fedora Linux 40 Cleared For Release Next Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woddy View Post
    freedom of choice must be the user's and not imposed.
    It's not like you're imposed to use a particolar distro with a particular DE.
    Moreover, freedom of choice is for developers too: they should be free to develop what they want in the way they want

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
      And they’re back to hideous children’s drawing wallpapers lol
      I always thought that it's a defense tactic, that no one will sue them over such shitty wallpapers.

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
        Fedora 40 would be the perfect distribution, if there weren't the codec issues.
        Originally posted by MastaG View Post

I always follow this: https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/Multimedia

Then I install something like mpv, which plays everything I throw at it.

Otherwise, if I have something wrong or something is missing, I will be glad for advice.

Code:
        dnf history
        install rpmfusion-free-release-tainted  

install libdvdcss

install rpmfusion-nonfree-release-tainted

--repo=rpmfusion-nonfree-tainted install *-firmware  
        swap ffmpeg-free ffmpeg --allowerasing

groupupdate multimedia
        // https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/Multimedia
        groupupdate sound-and-video  

install x264

install x265

groupupdate core
        // RPM Fusion repositories also provide [URL="https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Distributions/AppStream/"]Appstream metadata[/URL] to enable users to install packages using Gnome Software/KDE Discover. Please note that these are a subset of all packages since the metadata are only generated for GUI packages.​
        // [url]https://rpmfusion.org/Configuration/[/url]

install libva-utils

install alsa-firmware
        // for my soundcard needed!

swap wireplumber pipewire-media-session
        // PipeWire currently uses a simple example session manager. This proposal is to move to the more powerful WirePlumber session manager.
        // [url]https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/WirePlumber[/url]

// install libavcodec-freeworld
        // There you don't need libavcodec-freeworld that is only meant to complement the ffmpeg-free package (and related libraries).

+harware codecs for your GPU
        Sorry it's not combed. I will learn this if I ever install Fedora again. But maybe it will help someone.

Or try Nobara.
        Last edited by Rovano; 19 April 2024, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

You really still, after all those years, minimize all your applications to access that damn thing?
          of course not. I just switch to a new empty virtual desktop with CTRL + ALT + Arrow Right. I am sure there is a fancy gesture for laptop users, too.
          Last edited by George99; 19 April 2024, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

You really still, after all those years, minimize all your applications to access that damn thing?

I personally know no one who really uses the desktop icons on windows either, non of my work colleagues do. Its just bad UX.
            I don't really use them any more but the UX isn't so bad if you think about desktop icons as, right after boot / login, launcher

Comment

People complaining about the artwork should try contributing their artwork upstream and see how it feels to have it disparaged online.
              Of course they won't since the whole reason they're complaining about the default wallpaper is because they have no artistic talent of their own or else they'd just use that instead of complaining about the defaults online.
              Kudos to the Fedora team, really tempted to give 40 a spin. Personally, I am a fan of the wallpaper.

Comment

This is a cool wallpaper indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Noitatsidem View Post
                  People complaining about the artwork should try contributing their artwork upstream and see how it feels to have it disparaged online.
                  Of course they won't since the whole reason they're complaining about the default wallpaper is because they have no artistic talent of their own or else they'd just use that instead of complaining about the defaults online.
                  Kudos to the Fedora team, really tempted to give 40 a spin. Personally, I am a fan of the wallpaper.
                  So, if somebody doesn't have the same tastes as you, and speak up, they're callous people without talent?

The use of perspective alone would send my last art teacher on an epic rant
                  BTW, this doesn't mean, you're not allowed to like it.
                  Last edited by slalomsk8er; 19 April 2024, 12:11 PM.

Comment

I love that any article about Gnome you get people coming out of the wood work to deliver hot takes on software that doesn't affect them and they have no intention on ever using.

I guess everybody needs a hobby.

Incidentally, to set a blank background:

Code:
                    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri ''
                    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri-dark ''
                    That is two single quotes, btw. As in empty string.

And you can set solid colors or vertical or horizonal gradient by setting values on "primary-color", "secondary-color", and "color-shading-type". Colors are set using the common hex values for RBG colors.

If you want to find out more background settings you can run:

Code:
                    gsettings list-recursively | grep background
                    Of course most non-Gnome users have a difficult time understanding the command line and thus for them these settings don't actually exist and Gnome devs are "too lazy" to implement them. But that is A-OK. To each their own.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666
                      I tried Fedora with Plasma 6. I think there is no compelling reason to go for it if you are on Kubuntu 24.04. They made Plasma 6 desktop look like Gnome. Yikes! They have no respect for KDE. And ... I am posting this from Kubuntu 24.04 Plasma 5.27 which is absolutely great for me.
                      Fedora makes no changes at all for the upstream KDE software. What are you even talking about?

Comment

Working...
                      X