Fedora 42 Change Proposal Wants To Make KDE Plasma The Default Over GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

We already have Windows, we don't need another Windows wannabe that implements poor design choices.
    I don't want to get too deep into the typical DE flame wars, but this is a really strange assertion on a FOSS focused forum. Windows isn't open source. Having a modern open source DE that people coming over from Windows feel comfortable with is a good thing for the overall community as it attracts more users.

Also, your "poor design choices" comment is proven absurd by ~99% of the consumer computing world. There are a few UX patterns that all widespread DE's share.
    • An always visible launcher
    • A system tray
    • The ability to have desktop icons
    Windows, macOS, and even ChromeOS all have those.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the people who put this forward know it will never happen. But it might spur GNOME devs to move more quickly in adopting important Wayland extensions etc.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

Desktop icons, the system tray, application menus, maximize/minimize buttons, and type-ahead search, are not poor design choices.
        It's how 99% of the desktops work.

Forgive me, I knows that GNOME's designers know better​
        But they kinda are though. Desktop Icons serve very little purpose: you cant utilise them when there are even small amounts of windows around, theyre usually unorganised as most implementations just chuck icons in order of install rather than any logical fashion, they duplicate the effort of a programs menu which is ALSO found in 99% of desktops.
        Application menus can be done well but tradition has them done badly 90% of the time. Most menus ive ever used are badly organised and hide functions that should be exposed by better UI designs in the first place. We also somehow stick to file/edit/view/help even when that breakdown doesnt make sense, and nobody can agree what we call the menu entry that gets us to a settings page, or under which menu it is.
        Type ahead search is a bandaid over the bad problem that is navigation within large dirs. However when youre navigating by type ahead you already have an idea of what your file or folder is called. Search handles that main function almost better, particularly if you can search the content and not just the filename. Type aheads main advantage is when you want to navigate to a spot and select multiple files/folders around that spot, which is definitely done less than just nsvigating to one folder or file.
        Minimise doesnt really matter for the design of gnome with it not having a taskbar or dock. Otoh Maximise would be nice but there pretty normal alternate ways of doing it liek double clicking on the headerbar so its again less of a loss.
        The system traycis the main one you have a point with. They removed it too early and had nothing to replace it with. The new background apps menu is a sort of replacement but its not as good. Flip side though, as the years have gone on the system tray entries ive had went from quite a few to barely any. I havent got the extension installed on my laptops cause they just dont need it it seems.

Comment

Imagine a leading distro faithful to open source use a toolkit at mercy of company that sells proprietary software as main product. I thought we've been over this...

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post
            Good riddance. I just hope it's not April's fools because that might kill their credibility and unnecessary pours oil on the desktop wars.
            "their credibility"?

The proposal is by a singular individual who is a known gnome troll. He may want this, but he has no team. This proposal is not by the KDE SIG or anyone afilianted with KDE in Fedora.

It doesnt even matter if KDE was factually better than KDE, what matters is what can be supported.

The KDE SIG has already downsized their responsibilities and state they are not sufficient to support X11 bugs. It has been a big bone of contention leading to Fedora 40. I cant see any influx of KDE developers that will be able to take responsibility for such a change.

When Fedora chose BTRFS, upstream BTRFS developers working at Facebook chose to take on the burden of support and to push the proposal.

Comment

Not an April Fools joke. Personally, I think the concept of a "default workstation" is a bit outdated. KDE does deserve more attention, publicity and marketing from Fedora. At the end of the day if it gets it, I would consider this proposal a success.

Comment

Originally posted by DiDiDi View Post
                Plasma 6 still has a long way to go, especially on Wayland...
                Not sure if you're aware of this, but Plasma 6 has far better Wayland compatibility than Gnome does, both in terms of wayland protocol support and extra features to make XWayland apps more seamless on Wayland.

I'm looking forward to Gnome catching up, but they don't seem in a particular hurry to do so.

Comment

This will be better that going to the movies!!!

Where are my popcorns?!?!?

This is going to be a lot of fun!!!

(also... why not just ask for Plasma to be shipped along side GNOME?!?!? it would be a lot less radical ahahah)

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
                    Imagine a leading distro faithful to open source use a toolkit at mercy of company that sells proprietary software as main product. I thought we've been over this...
                    You realize that Fedora is owned by Red Hat, a for-profit company who themselves are owned by IBM, one of the most notoriously awful companies to ever exist? Fedora is not "faithful" to anything, it's purely a beta testing bed for Red Hat software. Which is fine, and Fedora is a great distro by all accounts, but don't delude yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      The worst part is I don't think this an April fool's joke.

Fedora should switch to KDE if they want to ruin Fedora. KDE sucks, it is awful, it is terrible!
                      I can imagine KDE is what UI/UX folks have in their nightmares.
                      Fedora should switch to KDE if they want to improve Fedora. GNOME sucks, it is awful, it is terrible!

See how easy it is to discredit something without giving proper arguments?

Comment

Working...
                      X