Fedora 42 Change Proposal Wants To Make KDE Plasma The Default Over GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Long term, they are technical problems. GNOME relies on plugins so users can fix those deliberate design decisions and plugins break when GNOME updates. That's a technical problem.
    That's not a technical issue with Gnome, but for those who use on plugins. Since starting using Gnome I've learned that you don't need a system tray, desktop icons and application selection menus is replaced with Super then typing what you want. As for the top bar / window decorations that's 'fixed' with libdecor.

I run Gnome with extensions turned off and it's the best desktop experience I've found.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

We already have Windows, we don't need another Windows wannabe that implements poor design choices.
      Desktop icons, the system tray, application menus, maximize/minimize buttons, and type-ahead search, are not poor design choices.
      It's how 99% of the desktops work.

Forgive me, I knows that GNOME's designers know better

Comment

I hope it's an April's fool joke.

Comment

Fedora 42 Change Proposal Wants To Make KDE Plasma The Default Over GNOME

Even Spock said so.

Comment

Excellent decision. KDE Plasma is so much better, I'm surprised anyone uses GNOME anymore.

Comment

Fuck that shit.. just joking, but honestly fuck that KDE shit, it seems like that car design by Homer Simpson.
              ​​​​​​
              ​​​​​​

Comment

The worst part is I don't think this an April fool's joke.

Fedora should switch to KDE if they want to ruin Fedora. KDE sucks, it is awful, it is terrible!
                I can imagine KDE is what UI/UX folks have in their nightmares.

Comment

I've been so impressed with Plasma 6, all my apps are now Qt6, Qt5 is gone, I'm wayland only apart from Steam, and everything is working really great, including HDR games

I had nothing but issues with Wayland on Plasma 5 - possibly PRIME related, but Plasma 6 has been an absolute joy

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I would argue that having no way to interact with appindicators is a technical problem, given applications currently use it and it's much harder to interact with them without it (e.g. Discord, Slack, Steam etc).

GNOME is not Microsoft or Apple that can get applications to give up common interaction methods.
                    My point here is: it would be trivial for Gnome devs to add support for it - the reasons stopping them from doing that are (mostly) not of technical nature. I'd also like to note that "applications currently use it" is IMO a problematic one. The incentives for app developers are not necessarily in the interest of users or DE devs. For apps - especially commercial ones - there's a high incentive to maximize user engagement, so "always being visible" is of course a desired feature. And other OSs have been trying to push back on that as well, especially mobile ones.

And here I'd again see a difference in philosophy between Gnome and KDE. The later, in my eyes, tries to please everyone while Gnome has a stronger vision for what's actually good solutions long term. That's why I think KDE matches better with Ubuntu than Fedora.

Comment

So IBM figures they've ruined Gnome enough, now they want to really dig in and ruin KDE? Seems reasonable. Just as long as they keep their hands off my DWM.

Comment

Working...
                      X