Fedora 42 Change Proposal Wants To Make KDE Plasma The Default Over GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vancha View Post
    Heh yeah this was an april fools joke, makes no sense after the team behind fedora already mentioned how gnome is not actually just a default, but basically part of the direction of the entire operating system. As in it's basically part of what they consider fedora workstation, not just a package that happens to be installed on it.
    IBM Hat's control of GNOME is exactly how they forced systemd and wayland onto everyone. GNOME's website also brags about how GNOME developers are involved in said projects.

Comment

This should be a joke. I am not a Fedora user, not a fan of Fedora, actually the opposite. And I like KDE Plasma. But even I can clearly see that this won't work, because of the philosophy. I see Fedora as an official Gnome distro.

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post

IBM Hat's control of GNOME is exactly how they forced systemd and wayland onto everyone. GNOME's website also brags about how GNOME developers are involved in said projects.
        Nobody forced systemd or Wayland, Red Hat employees didn't force other distributions developers with guns to make them use systemd and Wayland. They are default (well, Wayland is not yet default but sooner or later it will be) because they are better solution to the previous defaults. Accept reality instead of claiming that people accepted solution you don't like because they were forced or something.
        Last edited by dragon321; 02 April 2024, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
          > There are several upcoming protocols being driven by KDE as well, such as:
          > - alpha-modifier (set alpha values for a surface)
          > - ext-blur (enable blur effect underneath a surface)
          > ...
          > KDE Plasma offers the most advanced Wayland desktop experience today, providing support for highly-demanded features
          > ...
          > - Color management

Oh my, nice trolling. Come back when you figured out *that* combination. Shipping half-backed solutions that only cover one use case or the other might be nice for early adopters to play around - creating proper solutions takes some more effort.

Edit: in any case, it's nice that KDE is now a serious player in the Wayland game. That should make things better for everyone.
          GNOME can come back when it figures out how to make a functional top bar, system tray, desktop icons, application selection menus, window management header bars, system controls that don't require extra tools and plugins.....I could keep going, but the point is that GNOME isn't a serious contender in the desktop game regardless of the display server.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

GNOME can come back when it figures out how to make a functional top bar, system tray, desktop icons, application selection menus, window management header bars, system controls that don't require extra tools and plugins.....I could keep going, but the point is that GNOME isn't a serious contender in the desktop game regardless of the display server.
            We already have Windows, we don't need another Windows wannabe that implements poor design choices.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

All the points you mentioned are *deliberate* design decisions . You don't need to agree with them, in which case Gnome might not be for you. But they are *not* technical problems.

Color management in mixed environments is hard and the KDE implementation is obviously partial, mainly focused on "make Steam games work". Throwing in random transparency and blur makes it even harder. The authors of the proposal don't seem to be very aware of that

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Nobody forced systemd or Wayland, Red Hat employees didn't force other distributions developers with guns to make them use systemd and Wayland. They are default (well, Wayland is not yet default but sooner or later it will be) because they are better solution to the previous defaults. Accept reality instead of claiming that people accepted solution you don't like because they were forced or something.
                Don't feed the troll, they don't actually believe what they're saying they're just trying to start arguments.

Comment

All the points you mentioned are *deliberate* design decisions . You don't need to agree with them, in which case Gnome might not be for you. But they are *not* technical problems.

Color management in mixed environments is hard and the KDE implementation is obviously partial, mainly focused on "make Stream games work". Throwing in random transparency and blur makes it even harder. The authors of the proposal don't seem to be very aware of that
                  I would argue that having no way to interact with appindicators is a technical problem, given applications currently use it and it's much harder to interact with them without it (e.g. Discord, Slack, Steam etc).

GNOME is not Microsoft or Apple that can get applications to give up common interaction methods.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

We already have Windows, we don't need another Windows wannabe that implements poor design choices.
                    You've never used KDE, have you? You're not limited to a top bar because you can have your bar on any side of the screen. You're not forced to have your time in the center. You have three choices of application menus. You can relocate your window manager icons so you don't have to live with bad UI choices like GNOME placing the close button right next to the primary menu button. You can set themes and colors so you're not limited to light or dark with blue accents. It has a proper system tray and works with system tray programs and not against them.

The fucked up part is that half of that can be done with gnome-tweaks. If they just included that by default GNOME wouldn't suck so bad.

It's not about making yet another Windows desktop clone. It's about having a desktop that allows the user to customize it to their needs versus having a desktop that tries to force the user into how it wants to do things. If I want KDE to look and behave like Windows, XFCE, GNOME, OSX, Cosmic, Fluxbox, or practically any other environment, I can do that with all the tools that KDE offers out of the box and if I have issues I have an official place to report them. With GNOME, to do the same things I can do on KDE, I have to use an extra program and 3rd party plugins that don't have official support so if I have issues I have to hope they want to figure out why plugins don't work or hope the 27 plugin developers want to figure out why their 27 plugins aren't jiving on my setup.

Then GNOME updates and all those customization, plugins, etc break until the plugin writers finish playing catch up.

Then KDE updates and it just keeps on keeping on.

It's about doing things how you want to do them and then to have them keep on keeping on for the long haul.

GNOME + Tweaks + Plugins = sucks for keep on keeping on

KDE + Nothing = Great for keep on keeping on

Comment

Color management in mixed environments is hard and the KDE implementation is obviously partial, mainly focused on "make Steam games work". Throwing in random transparency and blur makes it even harder. The authors of the proposal don't seem to be very aware of that
                      Long term, they are technical problems. GNOME relies on plugins so users can fix those deliberate design decisions and plugins break when GNOME updates. That's a technical problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X