openSUSE Slowroll Released As A Slower Alternative To openSUSE Tumbleweed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Slowroll Released As A Slower Alternative To openSUSE Tumbleweed

Phoronix: openSUSE Slowroll Released As A Slower Alternative To openSUSE Tumbleweed

The openSUSE Slowroll distribution is a middle-ground between the rolling-release openSUSE Tumbleweed Linux distribution and the SUSE Linux Enterprise aligned openSUSE Leap with its fixed releases. The new openSUSE Slowroll is a rolling-release-like distribution with updates "every one or two months" but with constant bug/security fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

More?! How many more variants of openSUSE are we going to get?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      at least as many as *buntu variants, and more!

but ad rem- it sounds great.

Comment

This sounds very interesting to me.

I am on tumbleweed, and the number of updates does get on my nerves sometimes, there are updates about every day.

I do not update anymore, until the number of updates gets around 1500.

Comment

When Aeon will get officially released?

Comment

That was a pretty quick announcement after the survey results were published: https://news.opensuse.org/2023/09/05...y-preferences/.

This seems pretty neat to me. Tumbleweed is my jam on personal laptops / desktops, and the quality and stability are phenomenal for a true rolling release. But there's a huge gap between Leap and Tumbleweed. Slowroll would be nice for my home theater PCs where I may want newer kernels and mesa for gaming, but the package churn of near daily snapshots passing openQA is a bit much. And yes, I know I can have the absolute latest kernel from the OpenSUSE kernel repo and it's easy to branch the latest mesa on OBS. Hell, in reality I'd probably be fine with this even on my personal machines that currently run Tumbleweed.

Comment

I'm waiting for the SUSE clone of RHEL that was promised.

Then I want Ubuntu to clone that clone and I can use a SUSE/RH/Ubuntu monstrosity.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                ...yes.

Comment

The pace seems like manjaro's. I personally think its the optimal pace of updates that balances up to date software with stability (as in less bugs)

Comment

Most updates should be submitted to Factory and will auto-migrate into Slowroll after acceptance.
                    Oh, so like Debian Stable, Testing, and Unstable. What’s the point of OpenSUSE, again?

Comment

Working...
                    X