openSUSE Slowroll Released As A Slower Alternative To openSUSE Tumbleweed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    More?! How many more variants of openSUSE are we going to get?
    The background, AFAIU (not a (open)suse user myself), is that openSUSE Leap is going away: https://lwn.net/Articles/943591/

Comment

Originally posted by jabl View Post

The background, AFAIU (not a (open)suse user myself), is that openSUSE Leap is going away: https://lwn.net/Articles/943591/
      That would be terrible! I use Leap and it works very well. It's stable and is the only non-rolling distro with a no-nonsense package manager....

Comment

So, basically, they made the equivalent of CentOS Stream in the SUSE ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

That would be terrible! I use Leap and it works very well. It's stable and is the only non-rolling distro with a no-nonsense package manager....
          I was reading the discussions about all this in OpenSuse reddit and forums. Basically, since that new Suse ALP distro is going to replace SLE around 2025, OpenSuse Leap will have to be phased out because it uses the same base as SLE. That's why they had to decide what's going to be the replacement for Leap, so they had some polls to understand what do users prefer. From the polls, the overwhelming majority of users prefer rolling release, while the minority prefer Leap. One of the OpenSuse maintainers also said that maintaining a stable distro, especially if it's an LTS type, requires a lot of manpower and they simply don't have enough maintainers to create an actual Leap replacement. So I guess that's why they created slowroll. To satisfy those who prefer something more stable than Tumbleweed.

Comment

Originally posted by EphemeralEft View Post

Oh, so like Debian Stable, Testing, and Unstable. What’s the point of OpenSUSE, again?
            European alternative to RHEL, it's easier for some European companies to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

I was reading the discussions about all this in OpenSuse reddit and forums. Basically, since that new Suse ALP distro is going to replace SLE around 2025, OpenSuse Leap will have to be phased out because it uses the same base as SLE. That's why they had to decide what's going to be the replacement for Leap, so they had some polls to understand what do users prefer. From the polls, the overwhelming majority of users prefer rolling release, while the minority prefer Leap. One of the OpenSuse maintainers also said that maintaining a stable distro, especially if it's an LTS type, requires a lot of manpower and they simply don't have enough maintainers to create an actual Leap replacement. So I guess that's why they created slowroll. To satisfy those who prefer something more stable than Tumbleweed.
              No, majority of users prefer Leap. Majority of contributors like TW, "nobody" wants to work on Leap

Comment

Originally posted by mskarbek View Post
                So, basically, they made the equivalent of CentOS Stream in the SUSE ecosystem.
                No, it is very different from Centos stream.

Comment

Wouldn't it make sense to base the future leap on ALP? Isn't that what micro is etc is about? I must admit I am way too confused by their product strategies...

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post

No, majority of users prefer Leap. Majority of contributors like TW, "nobody" wants to work on Leap
                    Where did you read that? I remember the maintainer said users also prefer Tumbleweed.

Comment

Originally posted by drake23 View Post
                      Wouldn't it make sense to base the future leap on ALP? Isn't that what micro is etc is about? I must admit I am way too confused by their product strategies...
                      Yeah, it's definitely very confusing at this point. Like is Slowroll going to be just a temporary solution until there's going to be a desktop variant of ALP in a few years, which then probably will be the actual Leap successor? But then I've also seen claims that ALP might not even be focused on the desktop...

Comment

Working...
                      X