Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Changes Default For NVIDIA Driver Back To Using X.Org Rather Than Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

Nvidia are the only GPU manufacturer that has this problem. They went their own way while AMD, linux, and everyone else did not.

I will add that indeed linux has bent over backwards to support terminally-broken hardware for decades, including finding an efficient fix for the intel FOOF bug. But at a certain point vendors deserve to be burned for their mistakes and their users burned for supporting them despite profuse warning.
    The point is that there is nothing any linux developer can do to "burn" nvidia. They make no money off Linux desktop. Most if their money is actually off GPU Compute these days... and there is no wayland there.

So why rage about it, instead find a way to support it for the users who could benefit... or dont and stay as an irrelevant fringe.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
      Lets all dump wayland... and build X12 ... at this point it has to be easier
      It's easier to dumb nvidia trash.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Lol dude what are you smoking? Check the freedesktop issue tracker. There are hundreds of Intel/amdgpu bugs. Where can I buy this 100% bug free experience?
        And? This problem is only nvidia problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
          Nvidia, fix your damn driver.
          Nvidia, it's time to open source your driver which will enable you to go to the "next level".

Comment

Maybe it's too radical, but GNOME should drop X11 sessions soon if they want NVIDIA with their backs against the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              What a joke this LTS is!
              On Kubuntu they even removed the Wayland package completely so you cannot test it even on Intel or AMD GPUs without downloading and installing that package.
              I find it funny when people complain about Kubuntu. Or any other "flavor" for that matter. Because "apt install kde-full" after a regular Ubuntu install would be just too traditional or something. It's soooo worth the time, money and effort into """developing""" these spinoffs. So much added value. I sleep better at night if the OS installer installs the same package for me.

Comment

Good lord you all are acting as if this is the end of the world. It's the end users experience that is most important here. What I'm hearing from the lot of is this "You should be forced to use Wayland because of x,y,z reasons and until then you are going to have to deal with the bugs so we can force Nvidia to do something about this!". Newsflash... The end user could care less about that reasoning and just wants something that works with the least amount of friction possible. They don't care who's "fault" it is and nor should they have to. If that means having to use x.org for a couple more years still Wayland becomes rock hard stable why should any of you care? The end user with an Nvidia card certainly doesn't care.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

The point is that there is nothing any linux developer can do to "burn" nvidia. They make no money off Linux desktop. Most if their money is actually off GPU Compute these days... and there is no wayland there.

So why rage about it, instead find a way to support it for the users who could benefit... or dont and stay as an irrelevant fringe.
                  Then why did nvidia request that this change be reverted for them and them only?

Comment

Originally posted by ferry View Post

I'm trying to look at the problem from Cononical's POV. Their user has a piece of hardware from nvidia, it works when using X, works sort-of when using Wayland. Should they try to force nvidia to fix the driver or keep their user happy?
                    There's also the long term burden this creates for canonical, now continuing to support *two* display pathways when they would otherwise have to support one.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Lol dude what are you smoking? Check the freedesktop issue tracker. There are hundreds of Intel/amdgpu bugs. Where can I buy this 100% bug free experience?
                      Keep to the topic. This is about nvidia being buggy with wayland to such a degree that they're requesting xorg continue to be supported just for them. AMD, intel, and every other driver? They don't have this problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X