Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Changes Default For NVIDIA Driver Back To Using X.Org Rather Than Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Not really; here, read this:
    I don't have the technical qualities to understand this issue fully, but besides stuff he's talking about there's working solution for it: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/..._requests/4037 . It doesn't sound like be-all and end-all thing, and linux developers are reviewing it and supporting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

There's also the long term burden this creates for canonical, now continuing to support *two* display pathways when they would otherwise have to support one.
      At least both working, instead of one of them broken from the start

Comment

Originally posted by MetalGearDaner View Post
        Bad long-term thinking by Canonical IMO, and this harms the Wayland transition which should be done as fast as possible. The only way to make NVIDIA take Wayland support seriously is to push it as the default session on major distros.
        Canonical is a business. It doesn't help their credibility to choose to ship something that has problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

There's nothing to be fixed. The problem is squarely with nvidia's drivers, and only with their drivers. Not going forward with wayland in its buggy-but-workable state on their cards just allows nvidia to wallow forever. Everyone else on intel and AMD will never see a single bug, and it's time people started to associate nvidia's failings with nvidia.

Frankly, this is exactly what nvidia-linux users deserve, and I say that as someone using one of their cards right now. The writing has been on the wall for YEARS that if you use an nvidia card you WILL have a worse experience. Nobody remembers it because ubuntu do an amazing job packaging the nvidia drivers these days, but installing the nvidia driver manually on linux used to be horrible and unbeleivably breakage-prone.
          You do realize there are numerous Wayland issues (or issues with Wayland ecosystem such as XWayland) that have nothing to do with NVidia?

Comment

There is an extremely easy solution here:

1. Nvidia starts contributing to Kopper and Zink.
            2. Nvidia dumps every graphics pipeline on their Linux driver, except for Vulkan.
            3. Out of the box support for Wayland, Mesa, all the good stuff over Vulkan. Profit?

Except that would, of course, remove Nvidias chances of releasing broken and buggy drivers that developers can "code around" to give them a "competitive edge" in the gaming market. So ain't ever going to happen because then Nvidia loses several "unique selling points"!

What I want to know is, when is the pain of staying at Xorg greater than the pain of maintaining backwards compatibility of broken driver models?

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
              Lets all dump wayland... and build X12 ... at this point it has to be easier
              The X11 developers explicitly said that Wayland is X12 and they changed the name because they didn't want even more people yelling at them for making "X12" so architecturally different from "X11".

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                I find it funny when people complain about Kubuntu. Or any other "flavor" for that matter. Because "apt install kde-full" after a regular Ubuntu install would be just too traditional or something. It's soooo worth the time, money and effort into """developing""" these spinoffs. So much added value. I sleep better at night if the OS installer installs the same package for me.
                No thanks. I don't feel like having to play GNOME component uninstallation whac-a-mole every time I install a distro.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
                  I am happy that i have choosen an RDNA 1 AMD GPU.
                  Since the amdgpu driver was created, experience only got better.
                  I remember random black screens and GPU crashes / hangs in the beginning, but this affected the windows driver as well. This was fixed ~3 months later.
                  Over time performance got better, small gpu hang / ring timeout "crashes" where resolved and gpu reset was introduced.
                  Yeah, and I've only ever had crashy Canonical-supplied nVidia drivers once, and memory-leaky Canonical-supplied nVidia drivers once and both of those were easily fixed with a PPA upgrade.

...and that's over roughly 20 years of using nVidia cards since I replaced the ATi Rage 128 that ran fine on Linux but would hard-lock with the newest drivers on Windows shortly after starting aMule.

Comment

Originally posted by wertigon View Post
                    There is an extremely easy solution here:

1. Nvidia starts contributing to Kopper and Zink.
                    2. Nvidia dumps every graphics pipeline on their Linux driver, except for Vulkan.
                    3. Out of the box support for Wayland, Mesa, all the good stuff over Vulkan. Profit?

Except that would, of course, remove Nvidias chances of releasing broken and buggy drivers that developers can "code around" to give them a "competitive edge" in the gaming market. So ain't ever going to happen because then Nvidia loses several "unique selling points"!

What I want to know is, when is the pain of staying at Xorg greater than the pain of maintaining backwards compatibility of broken driver models?
                    The broken driver model is MESA and most open source drivers and in general wayland/dma-buf/gbm. They raised implicit sync model to everything in linux graphics stack, when entire world made everything go explicit sync model (including our loved Vulkan).
                    Last edited by piotrj3; 24 April 2022, 07:49 AM.

Comment

We all know that wayland has some problems and bugs, that then the bug concerns wayland (protocol) or the various compositors or request for added bees is another question, but even Xorg is not without bugs and problems of various kinds, while here everyone seems to care about games, there are those who use their PC for work and are more interested in security.
                      I have always criticized some wayland choices, but today I prefer to be on a wayland session than on a Xorg session, sorry for Nvidia users who will have poor security.

Comment

Working...
                      X