Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Changes Default For NVIDIA Driver Back To Using X.Org Rather Than Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMHO all these half-assed attempts only serve to hurt Wayland in the short-term (and also feed the anti-Wayland trolls). Why is it so difficult to admit that Wayland is the future, but that it just isn't yet quite ready for that future?

Originally posted by MetalGearDaner View Post
    Bad long-term thinking by Canonical IMO, and this harms the Wayland transition which should be done as fast as possible. The only way to make NVIDIA take Wayland support seriously is to push it as the default session on major distros. Fedora has shown they understand this. The more people get rid of bloated abandonware like X the faster will Wayland mature (even though it is already usable and relatively stable on GNOME, at least).
    Can't say I agree. Screwing your users to manhandle some other corp into doing what you want it to do can never be an acceptable practice in my book. The correct way is what they'll actually be doing: enable Wayland for AMD and Intel users, and let Nvidia feel the consequences (if any) in their bottom line after a year or two.

Also, "usable" and "relatively stable" is a far cry from "ready to take over as the default".

Comment

Nvidia, fix your damn driver.

Comment

why TF was LTS on wayland for nvidia? non LTS sure, and yes. I agree with, but LTS? this is why canonical is driving their name through the mud.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          What a joke this LTS is!
          Sadly, every Ubuntu release is a joke in last 5 years or so. With all the outdated and broken packages in universe, forcing Snaps (but making Flatpak as hard as possible to use) etc.

Comment

Tip: If you add this file to Ubuntu 22.04:

Code:
            $ cat /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-power-management.conf
            options nvidia NVreg_PreserveVideoMemoryAllocations=1
            Then suspend / resume works for Nvidia proprietary driver (without garbage on screen when resuming) and also it is possible to use Wayland. Worked for me at least. Wayland seems a bit unstable so I continued with X11.
            Last edited by henrik; 23 April 2022, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ferry View Post
              Yeat, it's a conundrum, what should Canonical do, support your quest to get Wayland functioning in the future? Or support their users to get a functioning desktop (as good as possible given their hardware) today?
              Yup, I second this. Other then multi-monitor separate DPI settings (which I am given to understand also suck to get working on Wayland), X just works. Everyone wails about security in X but I have never seen any security breach that affected any significant population of X users... in my life at least.

Comment

Bad long-term thinking by Canonical IMO, and this harms the Wayland transition which should be done as fast as possible. The only way to make NVIDIA take Wayland support seriously is to push it as the default session on major distros. Fedora has shown they understand this. The more people get rid of bloated abandonware like X the faster will Wayland mature (even though it is already usable and relatively stable on GNOME, at least).
                Well this is a LTS release and you still have the option to choose Wayland in the login session.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                  Nvidia, fix your damn driver.
                  Half of linux stack : fix your implicit sync.

Comment

Actually its having the complete opposite effect, pushing for Wayland as a default when its clearly not ready is just giving everyone a bad taste in their mouth whenever Wayland is mentioned.

This is like the transition from ALSA to PulseAudio but 10x worse. Maybe instead of pushing Wayland so hard the involved Linux ecosystem should put their effort into testing and fixing the issues. In the case of NVidia we just need to wait until their integration in their driver is ready, its as simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                      What a joke this LTS is!
                      On Kubuntu they even removed the Wayland package completely so you cannot test it even on Intel or AMD GPUs without downloading and installing that package.
                      Sorry but a reminder: Kubuntu has been a joke for last 10 years at least. Once a great alternative, it started to get less and less attention over these years.

If anyone finds it good it's just because of the KDE getting better over recent years.
                      Last edited by openminded; 25 April 2022, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X