VLC Gains Support For Systemd's Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eydee View Post
    Every xvid encoded file. Why don't you just try one of your own?
    Works perfectly here.

So something seems to be wrong on your end.

Comment

I found an xvid encoded video file on my drives, and VLC plays it just fine for me.

Comment

Well another reason to switch away from VLC I guess. I switched back to smplayer+mplayer yesterday because VLC has trouble playing videos correctly, the video goes grey sometimes, and also its GUI kinda sucks of course.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
          Well another reason to switch away from VLC I guess. I switched back to smplayer+mplayer yesterday because VLC has trouble playing videos correctly, the video goes grey sometimes, and also its GUI kinda sucks of course.
          Yep, smplayer here too. mplayer+mencoder is bigger than I'd like, but all in all it has been the most reliable. mplayer plays every format I need to play, and mencoder encodes every f

EDIT: sometimes with .mkv i'll have to play around with mkvtoolnix to get audio/video in sync.
          Last edited by duby229; 08 February 2015, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Works fine here. You might want to tinker with your installed codecs. Not all formats rely on VLC'c internal codecs.

Comment

seems pretty working for me... I tested ten xvid (and other mpeg-encoded) files and had not a single problem. Up-to-date Arch.

edit: all hail the french VLC users
              Last edited by doom_Oo7; 08 February 2015, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                Interesting. I was wondering why this would be needed when journald already grabs all messages send via syslog anyway, but it looks like journal can optionally accept structured log entries, which probably makes monitoring and debugging a lot easier than having to deal with raw text.
                It would be nice if you can choose to let systemd output binary, xml or structured text output as choices.
                Everyone can choose their favourite but of course conversions between the different output representations (binary, xml, structured text) would have to be perfect on the bit and be completely unambiguous.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                  Guess what, if you optionally run VLC on Windows it's crashes might end up in the event viewer. Yet another reason for you right there.
                  VLC even optionally runs on BSD , they got a mascot with horns even... I am sure that is a good reason if you are religious as well.
                  ...but you know what the worst part is?! it can even optionally run as a plugin in a webbrowser! How can you possibly accept something like that?!

Seriously - I am not always too happy with systemd taking over the world, but ditching a program because it optionally supports a certain log system is just plain lame.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                    It would be nice if you can choose to let systemd output binary, xml or structured text output as choices.
                    Everyone can choose their favourite but of course conversions between the different output representations (binary, xml, structured text) would have to be perfect on the bit and be completely unambiguous.
                    Journald can already be exported to json. Converting json to other formats can be done by a number of utilities.

"formats entries as JSON data structures, one per line (see Journal JSON Format for more information"

Comment

In addition to that, since you can easily tell it to send data to syslog, I would expect there's some interface you could implement to make journald be capable of logging to old-fashioned log files

Comment

Working...
                      X