No announcement yet.

VLC Gains Support For Systemd's Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, is this for VLC server? Since the client outputs things into its own event log or to stdout.

Comment

Nice, but vlc still fails for me with hardware acceleration enabled. I'm using the opensource drivers on a HD 6870. It can lead to full system hangs.

Comment

Optional support for systemd. Wish more developers could do it that way.

Comment

It's nice to see VLC progressing, but since switching to MPV I just can't use anything else (even on my Windows laptop).

Hope to see some more progress on VLC (maybe a port to Wayland?). I used it for years before switching so it still holds a place in my heart :P

Comment

Originally posted by sjukfan View Post
            For those developers adopting systemd as standard in Linux ecosystem, it means removing a lot of codes for ease of maintenance and less duplication.
            The burden will be to developers wishing on supporting non-systemd by providing either patches or alternative approach.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
              Journald can already be exported to json. Converting json to other formats can be done by a number of utilities.]
              Exporting is useless, if my system crashes so that I can't boot it and I want to check the logs I have no possibility to say "please stop crashing so that I can export my logs into a readable format".
              It need to write human readable files from the beginning and gzip older logs like most other logging systems.

Apart from the stupid logging format I'm all in standardizing the log utilities as there are too many.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                Exporting is useless, if my system crashes so that I can't boot it and I want to check the logs I have no possibility to say "please stop crashing so that I can export my logs into a readable format".
                Yes you do. You just boot a LiveCD and tell journald to read your logs (and then export to plain text if you want).

Comment

It need to write human readable files from the beginning and gzip older logs like most other logging systems.
                  So you are reading logs with a hex editor, using the disc image as its input or something like that?

I've only ever used tools to access my logs, like cat/grep/less or even gzip enabled variants.
                  Never ran into a situation where I had to binary interpret the logs manually (which would have been really hard for the compressed ones).

Cheers,
                  _

Comment

Apart from the stupid logging format I'm all in standardizing the log utilities as there are too many.
                    I'm pretty sure that if your system doesn't boot you cannot use it to read text logs. If it boots far enough to read text ones, it is very likely that it boots far enough to read systemd ones.

Comment

Originally posted by sjukfan View Post
                      for any project with win32 support(like vlc) - for sure, lol

Comment

Working...
                      X