Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 6.0 Ready For Release Next Week, Plasma 6.1 Seeing Early Feature Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
    What's the easiest way to try the release candidate right now?
    Neon Testing Edition, I guess.

Comment

KDE project did this development in a remarkable way. Right on the time it was scheduled, and at a very good quality, based on my testing, for a .0 release. Congratulations! ... and Thank you! of course

Just a small request if anybody reading, please make the kdsrc-build smoother.
      - Some of the libraries are not respecting local QT6 builds, still searching for system installs, although it is configured in the config file (e.g. gpgme, kwin)
      - Enable no-X11 option
      - Documentation about build options are incomplete and unclear
      - Packaging as a single mega package to run from /opt

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

Neon Testing Edition, I guess.
        I looked at OpenSuse Krypton, but that seemed a bit too messy. Also it's not on 6.0, it's already on 6.1-git... Perhaps it will come to Tumbleweed very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

If I had a higher resolution monitor, of course I would've probably wanted to use fractional scaling. I don't know what kind of a rock you live under, but 1080p monitor is not "decade old hardware". It's still the most widely used resolution and 1080p monitors are still being manufactured.
          I hate to break it to you, but the first 1080p monitors came out around 20 years ago.

edit: Num of years
          Last edited by jeisom; 24 February 2024, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeisom View Post

I hate to break it to you, but the first 1080p monitors came out around 20 years ago.

That is for more common LCDs. CRTs supported that resolution in the 90s.

Comment

I'm so tired of the 4k-fractional-scaling weenies bombarding every single freaking comment thread.

Just thought I'd get that off my chest. Carry on with your whining. Besides, 4k is ancient history, if you aren't using an 8k monitor you should be relegated to some caveman section of the site.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

What...? 1080p monitors are still the vast majority of monitors that exist in the world. They're cheap, look good if they're IPS, and are easier to drive at high framerates. 1080p is not "decade old hardware" as it's still outselling every other resolution of monitor. And even after that, 1440p is the second most common monitor type, and it doesn't require fractional scaling for most people, the obvious exception being those with vision impairments.
                2016 called and it wants its resolution back.

Comment

And? 4K monitors also came out around 20 years ago. That doesn't change the fact that 1080p monitors are still perfectly fine for many people. You don't seem to realise that with higher resolutions there are also some downsides like lower fps in games and the fact that scaling (fractional or non fractional, doesn't matter) is still not perfect in virtually all desktop environments on any OS.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

And? 4K monitors also came out around 20 years ago. That doesn't change the fact that 1080p monitors are still perfectly fine for many people. You don't seem to realise that with higher resolutions there are also some downsides like lower fps in games and the fact that scaling (fractional or non fractional, doesn't matter) is still not perfect in virtually all desktop environments on any OS.
                    I was simply addressing the "decade old hardware" part. I agree that in many cases 1080p is a perfectly fine resolution. Shoot the Steam Deck is 720p.

I am more interested personally in pixel density with text. I have a 32" monitor 4k monitor and I don't think I could go to 1440p at that diagonal. 1440 on a 27" and 24" would probably be fine for me. Anything under 24" would probaly be fine for text rendering. When gaming or video playback at the same sizes 1080p would probably work quite in most cases as well.

Comment

I was simply addressing the "decade old hardware" part. I agree that in many cases 1080p is a perfectly fine resolution. Shoot the Steam Deck is 720p.
                      Well, if the hardware with such resolutions is still being manufactured to this day, imo it's misleading to call it "decade old hardware".

I am more interested personally in pixel density with text. I have a 32" monitor 4k monitor and I don't think I could go to 1440p at that diagonal. 1440 on a 27" and 24" would probably be fine for me. Anything under 24" would probaly be fine for text rendering. When gaming or video playback at the same sizes 1080p would probably work quite in most cases as well.
                      My current monitor is 1080p 23.8 inch (I don't want anything bigger). I'd probably by a 4K 23.8 inch monitor sometimes in the future when I'll have a more powerful GPU and I'll simply set the scaling to 200%. Basically, I want everything to look the same in size, just sharper.

Comment

Working...
                      X