Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 6.0 Ready For Release Next Week, Plasma 6.1 Seeing Early Feature Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 6.0 Ready For Release Next Week, Plasma 6.1 Seeing Early Feature Work

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 6.0 Ready For Release Next Week, Plasma 6.1 Seeing Early Feature Work

It's hard to believe we are already just down to a few days left before the release of Plasma 6.0 next week alongside KDE Frameworks 6 and KDE Gear apps ported over to the Qt6 toolkit. KDE Plasma 6.0 is pretty much primed for release while already fixes are beginning for Plasma 6.0.1 as well as early feature work underway for Plasma 6.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been running KDE 6 from git since the beta, can't believe how much better the wayland experience is compared to Plasma 5, the last few niggles lie with Chromium not working well under wayland and SMplayer not migrating to Qt6 yet (but at least the Qt5 version works great under wayland using gpu-next)

Comment

I didn't even think to realize that the apostrophe may be an issue in naming. I usually have an apostrophe in the name of my iPhone and iPad. Just the boring "NAME's iPhone X". On the other hand my pc's and other devices usually get actual names like Luna for example. I like my iPhone/iPad, but obviously look at those differently. More like tools than my other devices which I enjoy tinkering with and using more.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        I've been running KDE 6 from git since the beta, can't believe how much better the wayland experience is compared to Plasma 5, the last few niggles lie with Chromium not working well under wayland and SMplayer not migrating to Qt6 yet (but at least the Qt5 version works great under wayland using gpu-next)
        It is pointless for SMPlayer to migrate to Qt6 because it uses X11 embedding to spawn mpv process and display video inside its window. So simply saying, it works under XWayland. After long search I switched to QMPlay2 which uses libmpv directly and works perfectly under Wayland with Vulkan backend and stuff.

Comment

Congratulations to Nate and all the KDE team on the upcoming release! I have never been a regular KDE users, though have played with it some. I have a Fedora 39 install on a laptop that I am going to wipe in the next couple/few months. If I can find a Copr or whatever, I will install KDE 6 onto this before wiping and give it a test run. Good to know what is out there, good to have options. Happy for everyone to see the efforts of all their hard work come to fruition!

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            I've been running KDE 6 from git since the beta, can't believe how much better the wayland experience is compared to Plasma 5, the last few niggles lie with Chromium not working well under wayland
            This sounds a bit concerning, because Chromium based browsers (with native Wayland flag enabled) have been working flawlessly for me on Gnome for about 2.5 years already. What exactly doesn't work well in Chromium Wayland on Plasma 6?
            Last edited by user1; 24 February 2024, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

This sounds a bit concerning, because Chromium based browsers (with native Wayland flag enabled) have been working flawlessly on Gnome for about 2.5 years already. What exactly doesn't work well in Chromium Wayland on Plasma 6?
              Chromium has never been working flawlessly on wayland.

Just one example: One year ago they released support for fractional scaling of wayland and it got reverted one day after the release again, because it broke wayland. Turned out that nobody ever tested it.
              But for a GNOME user it might be enough, because GNOME hides its fractional scaling controls and GTK doesn't support wayland fractional scaling yet.

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post

Chromium has never been working flawlessly on wayland.

Just one example: One year ago they released support for fractional scaling of wayland and it got reverted one day after the release again, because it broke wayland. Turned out that nobody ever tested it.
                But for a GNOME user it might be enough, because GNOME hides its fractional scaling controls and GTK doesn't support wayland fractional scaling yet.
                Well, I don't use fractional scaling, because I have a 1080p monitor. I know that Chromium's Wayland support is still not completely flawless (for example VAAPI still probably doesn't work), but overally it was very stable on Gnome for the last 2.5 years. Since I currently use KDE, that's why I asked what exactly is wrong with Chromium on Plasma 6 Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post

It is pointless for SMPlayer to migrate to Qt6 because it uses X11 embedding to spawn mpv process and display video inside its window. So simply saying, it works under XWayland. After long search I switched to QMPlay2 which uses libmpv directly and works perfectly under Wayland with Vulkan backend and stuff.
                  Yes, I've switched to QMPlay2 also.

Comment

ngrahamthere's sort of a typo and pet peeve of mine in the first item under bug fixes.

According to Phill Schiller you shouldn't write "an iPhone", it should be just "iPhone". You can still use the "an" if after what apple people consider a proper noun you write the category they belong to.

So the correct way of writing that should be "an iPhone phone".

I say it is a pet peeve of mine because it is the stupidest thing ever. So I make a point to point it out as often as I can.

For example, up until recently I always had two iPhone phones. I always pluralised it "correctly", saying stuff like "two iPhone phones" or "my iPhone phones" every time. It is absolutely ugly and dumb.

Being ex-apple I expected the same from nate.

Comment

Working...
                    X