Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 6.0 Ready For Release Next Week, Plasma 6.1 Seeing Early Feature Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody says "an iPhone phone", it sounds awkward. So that's why I don't write that--same reason why I don't omit the article before "iPhone". That sounds awkward too.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Well, I don't use fractional scaling, because I have a 1080p monitor. I know that Chromium's Wayland support is still not completely flawless (for example VAAPI still probably doesn't work), but overally it was very stable on Gnome for the last 2.5 years. Since I currently use KDE, that's why I asked what exactly is wrong with Chromium on Plasma 6 Wayland.
      Yes, "i don't use it", as every GNOMie says.
      It's flawless when you are on decade old hardware and "just don't use" things that everybody in the modern world with 4k screen considers as basic.

The problem with that mindset is that you imply that it is ready for use. Ready to be shipped. Ready for everyone to use. Even if it is clearly not, because it is missing crucial things that everybody expects from modern software.
      Last edited by hf_139; 24 February 2024, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DumbFsck View Post
        I say it is a pet peeve of mine because it is the stupidest thing ever. So I make a point to point it out as often as I can.
        Sounds like an attempt to avoid iPhone becoming generic and Apple loosing their trademark.

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post
          It's flawless when you are on decade old hardware and "just don't use" things that everybody in the modern world with 4k screen considers as basic.
          If I had a higher resolution monitor, of course I would've probably wanted to use fractional scaling. I don't know what kind of a rock you live under, but 1080p monitor is not "decade old hardware". It's still the most widely used resolution and 1080p monitors are still being manufactured.

The problem with that mindset is that you imply that it is ready for use. Ready to be shipped. Ready for everyone to use. Even if it is clearly not, because it is missing crucial things that everybody expects from modern software..
          I thought I also mentioned why Chromium's Wayland support is not completely flawless in my last comment, so how exactly do I imply that it is ready for use? It also should be obvious for everyone that Chromium Wayland is still not enabled by default for a good reason.

Btw, you're wrong to think that Gnome users generally have "low standards" and are happy with everything that Gnome gives them on the plate. It's exactly why me and others have recently moved to KDE.

Your claim about 1080p monitors has actually reminded me of a similar claim some Gnome dev has made. When they removed subpixel font antialiasing in GTK 4.0 (which is useful for lower resolutions like 1080p), their reasoning was that non HiDPi monitors are outdated.
          Last edited by user1; 24 February 2024, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post

It is pointless for SMPlayer to migrate to Qt6 because it uses X11 embedding to spawn mpv process and display video inside its window. So simply saying, it works under XWayland. After long search I switched to QMPlay2 which uses libmpv directly and works perfectly under Wayland with Vulkan backend and stuff.
            I have been using Media Player Classic Qute Theater ("Mpc-Qt") for years, which uses libmpv also and has now Qt6 port done https://mpc-qt.github.io/

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              I've been running KDE 6 from git since the beta, can't believe how much better the wayland experience is compared to Plasma 5, the last few niggles lie with Chromium not working well under wayland and SMplayer not migrating to Qt6 yet (but at least the Qt5 version works great under wayland using gpu-next)
              Chromium doesn't run well under Wayland on Plasma 5 either in my experience. It usually takes a couple of starts before it renders everything fine.
              Last edited by Vistaus; 24 February 2024, 12:35 PM.

Comment

uosc is also not bad a UI for mpv.

Comment

The problem with that mindset is that you imply that it is ready for use. Ready to be shipped. Ready for everyone to use. Even if it is clearly not, because it is missing crucial things that everybody expects from modern software.
                  What...? 1080p monitors are still the vast majority of monitors that exist in the world. They're cheap, look good if they're IPS, and are easier to drive at high framerates. 1080p is not "decade old hardware" as it's still outselling every other resolution of monitor. And even after that, 1440p is the second most common monitor type, and it doesn't require fractional scaling for most people, the obvious exception being those with vision impairments.

My main monitor is a Samsung 1440p beast with every bell and whistle you can think of, but my 2nd monitor is still an IPS 1080p 60hz screen that I bought in 2009 because it still looks and works great.

Comment

Originally posted by DumbFsck View Post
                    ngrahamthere's sort of a typo and pet peeve of mine in the first item under bug fixes.

According to Phill Schiller you shouldn't write "an iPhone", it should be just "iPhone". You can still use the "an" if after what apple people consider a proper noun you write the category they belong to.

So the correct way of writing that should be "an iPhone phone".

I say it is a pet peeve of mine because it is the stupidest thing ever. So I make a point to point it out as often as I can.

For example, up until recently I always had two iPhone phones. I always pluralised it "correctly", saying stuff like "two iPhone phones" or "my iPhone phones" every time. It is absolutely ugly and dumb.

Being ex-apple I expected the same from nate.
                    Would you also say "I have a Ford Taurus SHO car" or would you say "I have a Ford Taurus SHO"?

Comment

What's the easiest way to try the release candidate right now?

Comment

Working...
                      X