Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 6.0 Ready For Release Next Week, Plasma 6.1 Seeing Early Feature Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stiiixy
    replied
    Yeah, it can be a double edged sword whereby a product becomes common use, making it hard to defend its name rights because it was pushed so hard and became all-pervasive in everyday use.

You forgot 'xerox' for photocopying 😁

Leave a comment:

• sophisticles
    replied
    Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
    The conflation of 'smart phone' to 'iPhone' and tablet/slate to 'iPad' is older than my 13 year old nephew who refuses to learn he utilises a mobile telephone and tablet/slate to conduct gameing sessions....

The name game was lost on his mother's (my sister) generation in the naughties, because it's all their fault 😁

Hyundai has a whole range of cars called (cringeingly) iWhatever, and amazingly weren't sued.

Whattayado!
    In all fairness there's a company called iRobot that makes vacuums and in 2004, 3 years before the iPhone was released there was a movie called I, Robot staring Will Smith, where he went around slapping people that insulted his wife.

The use of a product name in generic fashion predates iPhone by decades, I remember using Kleenex as a catchall for all tissue paper and Coke as a catchall for all sodas way back in the 70's.

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    Originally posted by V1tol View Post

It is pointless for SMPlayer to migrate to Qt6 because it uses X11 embedding to spawn mpv process and display video inside its window. So simply saying, it works under XWayland. After long search I switched to QMPlay2 which uses libmpv directly and works perfectly under Wayland with Vulkan backend and stuff.
    I'm running smplayer just now with mpv and gpu-next, it's pure wayland, confirmed with xlsclients

Leave a comment:

• novhack
    replied
    Can't wait! I will celebrate this release with a full reinstall which is long overdue on my side.

Leave a comment:

• stiiixy
    replied
    Originally posted by jeisom View Post

That is for more common LCDs. CRTs supported that resolution in the 90s.
    We were rocking 19" Trinitron-tubed monitors (a mate scored a Digital second hand in 96....so add a few years to that) at 1080p in the nineties. I think I spent more on my new monitor than I did on the box.

Back then, when you turned the monitor off, it was OFF. No half-lit room suspension crap.

Leave a comment:

• stiiixy
    replied
    The conflation of 'smart phone' to 'iPhone' and tablet/slate to 'iPad' is older than my 13 year old nephew who refuses to learn he utilises a mobile telephone and tablet/slate to conduct gameing sessions....

The name game was lost on his mother's (my sister) generation in the naughties, because it's all their fault 😁

Hyundai has a whole range of cars called (cringeingly) iWhatever, and amazingly weren't sued.

Whattayado!

Leave a comment:

• DumbFsck
    replied
    Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Would you also say "I have a Ford Taurus SHO car" or would you say "I have a Ford Taurus SHO"?
    Depends if Ford's top marketing guy is being like Phil Shill and ranting on twitter about people using their products' names as a normal person would.

BTW, I think people misunderstood me. My point was exactly that Apple's rules are dumb. I call it the ugly and unintuitive way they suggest because fsck Phill Shill and I like drawing attention to how stupid it sounds, lampshading how dumb that "rule" is.

Even Tim Cook has been on record saying stuff like "iPhones".

Leave a comment:

• mirmirmir
    replied
    Originally posted by hf_139 View Post

Yes, "i don't use it", as every GNOMie says.
    It's flawless when you are on decade old hardware and "just don't use" things that everybody in the modern world with 4k screen considers as basic.

The problem with that mindset is that you imply that it is ready for use. Ready to be shipped. Ready for everyone to use. Even if it is clearly not, because it is missing crucial things that everybody expects from modern software.
    I've been keeping "Large Text" option in accessibility for years, it's pretty much 1.25 scaling. I've been also on Wayland, so I don't get what you're on about.

The problem with KDE fans, they are delusional on how superior KDE is. To the point they are making shit up, lying though their teeth because other mindless fans just agree with the lie. Make it even more comfortable to lie for another time.

Leave a comment:

• X_m7
    replied
    Originally posted by fallingcats View Post

Usually those WiFi modules can easily be replaced, I'd suggest Intel AX210 or similar. You can also look into whether any "powersave" modes are enabled by default with your wifi module, those commonly cause such issues.
    I already did toss that damn thing out and put an AX200 in its place lol, although trying to snap the antenna cables on was rather nervewracking since it was my first time, plus I've seen some reports about certain laptops having whitelists embedded in the system firmware that can block replacement modules, luckily mine didn't have such an asinine measure included.

Leave a comment:

• fallingcats
    replied
    Originally posted by X_m7 View Post
    the MediaTek WiFi chip turned out to be even more garbage than I thought it could possibly be (download speeds drop to sub 1Mbps in WiFi 6 mode unless I can somehow make it use WiFi 5, but the best I could do with the Linux drivers was make it drop to 2.4GHz)
    Usually those WiFi modules can easily be replaced, I'd suggest Intel AX210 or similar. You can also look into whether any "powersave" modes are enabled by default with your wifi module, those commonly cause such issues.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X